Couple of questions

Since this is a brand new bike to me and I have never owned a ST 1300 i got a couple of questions and it might sounds stupid, so please cut me some slack.
1. Where on the bike do you mount a plug for heated gear?
2. What's the best location for gear shift indicator?
Thank you.

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
Since this is a brand new bike to me and I have never owned a ST 1300 i got a couple of questions and it might sounds stupid, so please cut me some slack.
Thank you.
My heated gear plugs come out between the seat and the gas tank on the left side. It is powered from a fuse block that is switched. (off when the key is off)

IMG_3185.jpg

I do have a GIPRO and have it mounted behind the "glass" of the speedometer at the 5 o'clock position.

IMG_3187.jpg

These locations work for me.

Last edited:
Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
I mounted a Powerlet socket on the left side of the fairing, just below the fairing pocket. It's easy to get to once you're mounted. No gear position indicator; if the revs are at 4K, and I'm going 70 indicated, there aren't anymore gears to shift up to...

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
I mounted His and Hers Powerlet sockets on the left side-cover. They need a couple of inches clearance behind the mounting surface, but I found a couple of relatively flat spots I could make work. No extension cords needed from there. I've never thought I needed a gear indicator, but it might stop me searching for 6th. :)

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #

I use the left hand fairing, just below the bottom of the pocket lid - as already suggested by roginoz. Left hand side is better than right - it makes it possible to plug in / unplug when riding, if necessary. Choice of cable length is important, in case you dsimount having forgotten to unplug !

For the pillion, I have a powerlet socket mounted in the flat part of the right hand rear cowl directly beneath the gap between the sadlle and the pillion grab handle. Careful location is necessary to avoid the framework, but it works well. It needs a connector in the cable, as it is very difficult for the pillion to insert the plug when sitting on the bike.

I have seen some people put a socket mounted ona bracket in the void beneath the left hand side panel, or the fill-in panel on 2008 bikes or later. I looked at this and didn't like the proximity to the moving suspension or the proximity of the plug to pillion legs.

In the bin, in my opinion - but only because I don't see the need. I have seen them mounted on the right hand fairing, just beneath the pocket cover - similar place to the powerlet socket on the left hand side.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Madrussian
Thank you everyone. Good input. Now, about gear indicator..
I'm spoiled by one on my Goldwing. I installed it about 4-5 years ago and now I'm hooked on it like a junkee. I was riding my ST the other day and was doing something like 95 MPH or so for about 15 minutes when I realized I was still in 4th. That got me thinking about the gear indicator. I rarely pay attention to my RPMs for some reason.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
I've never thought I needed a gear indicator, but it might stop me searching for 6th.
... something I do regularly.

Intellectually I know that the bike is entirely happy, and well within operating design, running at or above 4,000 rpm but I'm so accustomed to auto engines, which I rarely run past 3,500, that I just always "want" one more gear. I have an infallible indicator of when I'm in 5th: when I try to make one more shift there's no place to go. A glance at the tach confirms that I'm an idiot in those situations.

Thinking I'd eventually get heated gear, the very second farkle I added was Powerlet sockets: one below the left fairing pocket cover and two more on a plate in the void space on the left side near the suspension preload adjustment knob. Three-plus seasons in, they have yet to be used for anything. I've started mulling the option of switching out the one on the fairing for a second cigarette lighter-sized socket, because there have been times I've wished I had an extra plug (I have a lighter-sized socket on the right fairing already).

Good luck, and welcome to the wonderful world of the ST.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Sorry - not putting down your need for a farkle. I've seen gear indicators and thought they looked good, but decided against. At 6'4" I have an issue with the amount that I have to move my head in order to look down to see things on the dash. Its not the head movement that is the issue - its the time it takes to change the focus back to the road. Its a fraction of a second, but it is more than the quick glance that is needed for the speedo directly in front. So I rarely use my tachometer, even though it was one of the things that 'I must have' in a car and on a bike. I don't use it nearly as much as I thought that I would. I cannot see the dash indicator / winker lights for example - the hood obscures them from where I sit, so a more important farkle for me has been LED strips across the bottom of the mirrors.

Anyhow, I'm on the PC again now, so I dug out a couple of photos of powerlet sockets fitted. Click the thumbnail to enlarge.

Front Right. This is taken from my older ST1300A6. I had to fit it on the right, as my Honda heated bar controller pushbutton block was mounted on the left side. It was a bit of a pain on the right, as it was not easy to unplug - hence the relay microswitch.

Rewire 16 Front Accessory.jpg

Rear Right

Rewire 17 Rear Accessory.JPG Rewire 17a Rear Accessory.JPG

I had to be careful with this one that I could actually get to secure it with the locknut from the inside. It's a bit of a fiddle, but possible. On my present ST1300, I took the rear cowl off to fit it. The second photo just about shows the underneath of the plug on the other side of the tubular frame.

Last edited:
Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
I have a powerlet between the bars and one on under the right pocket cover. Added a 12vdc outlet inside the right pocket and dual USB outlets inside the left pocket.

When using the heated gear (I ride year round and only ever turn on the gloves) I've put the dual controller in different spots i.e. small tank bag plugged in on right side powerlet, on top of clutch reservoir, and inside left pocket. The last two Velcro''d in place and plugged into powerlet between bars.

To tell you the truth, I don't like any of the spots but on top of clutch reservoir seems to be the most useful in terms of adjusting the temp.

I thought about mounting the controller under the left pocket cover with only the knobs showing but ended up using that spot for added lighting switches.

As for the indicator, like others I try to grab another gear if I'm feeling it needs a shift, if it doesn't shift to 6th I don't try again.

let us know what you come up with.

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
Ralph, my heated gear is exactly like Kevin's 1st pic in the 1st post. When heated gear isn't used regularly I just put the plug back under the seat until the next season.
I don't have a gear indicator but I've always wanted one and I like how Kevin has his behind the dash screen. A little more work but probably worth it.

I've got your PM with your number. I can give you a call today if you'll be available.

Skip

OP
OP
Madrussian
Ralph, my heated gear is exactly like Kevin's 1st pic in the 1st post. When heated gear isn't used regularly I just put the plug back under the seat until the next season.
I don't have a gear indicator but I've always wanted one and I like how Kevin has his behind the dash screen. A little more work but probably worth it.

I've got your PM with your number. I can give you a call today if you'll be available.

Skip
Great. Please do call. Thank you.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Covered Powerlet type plug (BMW type) below the left fairing pocket door, Chinese version here, great quality, I have two of them on my ST :

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GDUXPCK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Unswitched, 14ga wire, wired directly to the hot side of the solenoid. 20a fuse as close to source as possible. Can also be used as a battery maintainer/charger/tender/12v hookup. I have one of these wired in parallel with it, mounted just to its left, microscopic current draw:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12v-LED-Battery-charge-alternator-level-indicator-monitor-warning-light-lamp-E/190401283689

A battery charge indicator is a great thing to have on a ST1300, trust me.

I have never felt the need for a gear shift indicator.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I've never thought I needed a gear indicator, but it might stop me searching for 6th.
Can I give ya an 'Amen!'

I was riding my ST the other day and was doing something like 95 MPH or so for about 15 minutes when I realized I was still in 4th. That got me thinking about the gear indicator. I rarely pay attention to my RPMs for some reason.

Right there with ya. I don't have the inclination to pull the dash apart for a GPI Under Glass so I'd find some place near by. If it didn't mar the plastic I'd be tempted to put one ON the plastic.

Top Bottom