Fairing Clearance

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
I'm hoping somebody may know the answer off the top of their head and save me some time pulling off the plastics...

Does anybody know how much space is there between the fairing (approximately under the mirrors and above the ST1300 sticker) and the storage compartments? And is there any wiring and/or hoses in between? Been a while since I've had the fairing off and can't remember.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
There's not much clearance, but a little. There are no wires/hoses/etc. between the fairings and the pockets. (Unless someone put it there, for their FARKLE)

However, there is a large electrical connector between the left side, just below the tank, and the pockets. On the plastic of the left side pocket is a bracket that holds that connector.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
On the left hand side, the main wiring loom continues its route to the headlamp cowl in the form of the front sub-harness - it is cable tied to one of the fairing stays which extends forward from below the top line of the fairing pocket towards the front. The cable is held under the spar. As SupraSabre said, there is a shrouded cluster of wires and connectors that sits in a moulding on the outside of the left fairing pocket.

The dark grey inner cowl, which is attached to the inside lip of the fairing pocket by two plastic push rivets (turn the bars to the right, and you can see them in the space left by the fork leg) - sits on one side of the fairing stay. The fairing pocket sits on the other side. There is just enough room to get the OEM sub harness through the space. (That fairing stay and cable is a little under where the edge of the fairing pocket sits, on the side with the key hole).

My first attempt to route my own harness had it strapped to the same fairing stay. When I put the fairing back on, the new wiring was too bulky and pressed the inner cowl into the path of the fork leg. My only other option was to sling it underneath the OEM front sub harness. IIRC, the cable ties are physically attached to the underside of the stay, so that the sub harness is guaranteed to sit underneath the stay.

Short answer - there isn't much room, but there is a cable, and it is possible to add another underneath.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Inside my left fairing I have the Heat-Troller (2ch permanant mounted) and my 2ch garage door opener. You'll find room behind the oven box if you need to tuck something in there. Many with the Rostra cruise control put the control unit up behind the mirror so the wires and control servo are hanging into that area. My forward electrical distribution point is behind that cowl, a short european style barrier strip.

Yes, take the advice and pull the inner fairing by the triple tree and you can get a better idea.

OP
OP
Whooshka

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
Hmmm thanks for all the info. I was brain storming of cutting into the outer fairing to insert a small louvered vent. I thought I could point the louvers forward to draw extra air in there for cooling or point them towards the rear to help exhaust some heat. Or just keep them closed if there was no affect.

The vents would penetrate about an inch and a half, hence my clearance question.

Top Bottom