ST11 -with ABS II - rear pulsar ring install query

Bike
ST1100(s), Nortons,
Hi guys, couple of points of interest for someone.

After spending a frustrating 1/2 hour trying to fit one of my spare front wheels from a non abs bikes to the latest absII bike (after fitting the pulsar ring) I finally saw that the front discs on the absII are a smaller diameter than the non abs discs - aagh !

So now on to the back wheel - should have been simple - fit the pulsar ring on the hub, drill and tap the screw holes for the ring, voila. But I am unable to fit the pulsar ring on to my non abs rear wheel. There is a flange on the wheel hub that goes into the diff that the pulsar ring has to slide over to to mount the ring on its 6 screw mount posts - see attached photo. We are only talking about 30 or 40 thou, not much, but enough to stop the ring going on. From what I see the pulsar rings are all the same part number - so I assume the absII wheel is slightly different from the rest? I could remove the absII rear wheel to look at the difference in the wheels, but would only have to re-fit it after. Any inputs on this one ?
Andy

Attachments

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
All the other dimensions are the same and the wheels are 'swappable' other than the ring and where they are threaded. The discs will swap as they have the same bolt pattern. Beware there is also a machining difference between the rear standard and the rear ABS rims. I currently run a ABSII front on my 97 standard with the standard discs.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
I looked at my rear wheel. If I am understanding what you're saying, on mine, the ID of the pulser ring is snug against the flange. The non-ABS wheel may have that part of the wheel unfinished and not machined. I would guess to save a buck on manufacturing as there are considerably fewer ABS wheels than non. Cutting the flange and drilling the screw holes is probably done during the same set-up on a machine to assure the pulser ring runs true with the center of the wheel. I think the air gap between the sensor and the "teeth" is supposed to be only .020 inch/.5 mm. So the ring needs to be centered on the axle center line pretty closely. I don't know how far away the sensor will read the "teeth". On the ID, the top of the pulser ring is also flat with the top of the flange.

We are only talking about 30 or 40 thou, not much, ...
Are you saying 30 or 40 thou on a side or total diameter? One suggestion would be to dust off the 30 or 40 thou carefully with a Dremal tool or what ever. Drill and tap the holes. If you are OCD, grease the pulser ring with Vaselene, put some thread lock on the screws and center it up as accurately as you can. Mix up some JB Weld and fill the gap between the ring ID and the flange. :D Hopefully the vaselene wil keep the JB Weld from sticking to the ring.:D You might want to take it off one day.

OP
OP
kerbside
Bike
ST1100(s), Nortons,
Much appreciate the feedback Phil.
Front wheel: One of the spares I have used for some years on the 91 and the 96 was an absII front, but came with no discs - I just never noticed the disc size difference !

Rear Wheel: It looks like the "dust shield" part on the rear diff is different on the absII and the std bikes. I assume to take up the clearance needed when the absII wheel is machined down slightly to fit the pulsar ring over the wheel. Only answer I see is to get an abs rear wheel, which is unfortunate as I have a couple of sets of std wheels ! hey ho.

New Question: possibly apart from colour are the absI and absII rear wheels interchangeable - parts numbers are different.?

Cheers again Phil.
Andy

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Don't know if the rings are the same and the spacing/positioning is the same or not. IIRC I put a ABSII rear on my standard and when I tightened it down, it would not turn (slight machining difference on the rear hub). I've never had a rear ABSI but I did get shipped an ABSI front that I had to send back. While I had it, I tried the 'fit' on my standard and my ABSII and checked the mounting of the discs. That's how I found out the ABSII discs are smaller than the ABSI or standard.

Top Bottom