6 weeks later...

Bike
'13 FLTRX, '08 FXDL
I've finally received my ST. Although I bought it nearly sight unseen, it is exactly as I expected; in good running order with a bit of sun-fade on the tank. She came all the way to Washington from Alabama. Side note: I now have what I consider to be an excellent contact/friend at a small dealership in northern Alabama.

After listening to the video, I'm wondering if anyone would lend their opinion to comment if they believe my ST needs the balance shaft adjustment. I've ridden a few STs but am not familiar enough to know if the whine I hear is "excessive". All other aspects of the bike seem in order.

[video]https://bridgedata-my.sharepoint.com/personal/kirk_satterlee_bridge-data_com/_layouts/15/guestaccess.aspx?docid=1a77dea33e2754d96ac56dd0075 ee7657&authkey=AZSC6O4XeLI7buAZdALOebc[/video]

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Glad to hear you finally got your :rd13:!

I didn't open the link...our work computers usually won't let us, but read up on how easy they are to adjust. Also, you can get to them without removing ALL the tuperware!

Good luck!

OP
OP
capnkirk
Bike
'13 FLTRX, '08 FXDL
Thanks. Could be the sharepoint site. Sometimes it takes a little while to enable access. Maybe I should learn to properly post a video too.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Yahoo! Congrats!! Now jump on that thing in two weeks and join us for STOC-TOBERFEST..!!!!!
ToddC

OP
OP
capnkirk
Bike
'13 FLTRX, '08 FXDL
Yahoo! Congrats!! Now jump on that thing in two weeks and join us for STOC-TOBERFEST..!!!!!
ToddC
I'm hoping to. Just not quite able to confirm yet.

Let's try a new link to the video:]
[video=youtube_share;egG8zxIqWcs]https://youtu.be/egG8zxIqWcs[/video]

Last edited:
Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
That sounds very good I think. Nothing that sounds abnormal and the sounds are exhaust related if anything. The whine is normal IMO. Ride her and hope to see you at ToddC's castle.

OP
OP
capnkirk
Bike
'13 FLTRX, '08 FXDL
That sounds very good I think. Nothing that sounds abnormal and the sounds are exhaust related if anything. The whine is normal IMO. Ride her and hope to see you at ToddC's castle.
Thanks! I suspect all is fine. I have none of the other symptoms I've seen described. Next time I have the fairings off, I'll probably still check just to get familiar.

Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
It sounds great. When you stated it, I heard the exhaust, which is something I don't hear on my ST (stock exhaust), and figured it had an aftermarket exhaust. The whine is normal; mine sounds the same.

OP
OP
capnkirk
Bike
'13 FLTRX, '08 FXDL
It sounds great. When you stated it, I heard the exhaust, which is something I don't hear on my ST (stock exhaust), and figured it had an aftermarket exhaust. The whine is normal; mine sounds the same.
Thanks! I had hoped/suspected so. I thought I remembered all of my previous Honda V's having at least some "whine" to them but just wanted to be sure. I'm aware my mufflers aren't stock but not quite sure which they are. They look similar to the Two Brother's but not exactly...

Last edited:

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
The whine is a salute to George Jetson's car....! When people ask.....I tell them it's the turbo...:shrug2:

ToddC

Top Bottom