Looking to bring my ST1300 along with me - Suggestions

Bike
2004 ST1300 ABS
I have finally decided on a RV to buy (a Winnebago View - 24' on a sprinter diesel chassis) and am looking for options for bring my ST along with me. Considering trailer options (enclosed trailers and open motorcycle trailers), as well as hitch options (not sure if the ST is too heavy). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Trailers will give you the most options. Lifts are made to mount on the rear and carry the heaviest GW or HD. Vehicle frame must be rated for the lift. Good luck, I've looked for ways to carry the ST on my 5th wheel trailer.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Enclosed trailer gives you lots of options for extra storage. Plus everything stays clean...!!!

Just my two cents...

ToddC

Bike
2010 ST1300
If you are going to be doing long distance and long time roaming, enclosed trailer is the only way to go. Protects against theft plus room for more junk. For occasional use, I'd go with an open MC specific trailer, last choice would be a utility type w/ a chock and carefully located tie downs.

Have you considered a Thule bike rack on the roof? Clearance under bridges might be an issue, assuming you are strong enough to lift it up there......:bow1:

Bike
2006 ST1300
Trailer, definitely. Enclosed , preferably. If you balanced the bike on it well, it'll take very little to pull it. I highly recommend a wheel chock. The Harbor Freight one works fine.

I borrowed a trailer from a member of the list a few years ago, and he had the bike balanced so well I could move the trailer with the bike on it, by hand. It pulled with very little effort. It was the foldable HF trailer, and worked very well.

Last edited:

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I use a 5x10 enclosed cargo trailer to haul my ST1100. It works rather well, and I use it as a camper when I get to my destination.
the drawback on mine is that the rear door opening is 5'1" and I have to remove the windshield to get it in. I use a chock, and I installed "E" track along the sides for tie downs. The bike fits nicely and I have it back about 2' from the front of the trailer for proper weight distribution.
You may want to consider a 6x12 with at least a 5'4" opening with a drop down tailgate. Aluminum frame, and electric brakes. This gives you a little more payload, more space, and should tow nicely behind your rig.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I just got through hauling my ST1300 on a trailer to WeSTOC in Reno.

While an enclosed trailer would be great I didn't get one for two reasons.

First an enclosed is bigger than I wanted attached to my 2015 Highlander. The other was I came across a great deal on a brand new 5x8 utility trailer!

After attaching my HF chock, a few tiedowns and re-wired the plug, it was great. We didn't have any issues at all with it for the entire trip! :D

trailer-Aug-2017-1.jpg

Last edited:

JQL

Growing old disgracefully :)
Bike
NT700VA
I have a 30' RV with a light M/C rack on the rear. With a light motorcycle on the rack, the RV is very light at the front and bounces up and down a lot at the rear even with uprated suspension.

For my next RV I'd go for a Toy Hauler but for your 24', a trailer, enclosed or otherwise, would be a better option.

scootac

Will Ride for Food
Buy one big enough to put a dual-sport in beside the ST....there's a lot of beautiful scenery that's nowhere near a paved road!!!!

Gonzo

3/4 Century of Trivia
Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I also have an RV just like yours. The hitch will definitely NOT support the ST. I have seen at RV parks a one wheel trailer that can support TWO motorcycles, and they have an advantage of being easy to back up.

Bike
2007 ST 1300
I have an enclosed 5x8 V nose trailer with ramp door that works fine for all my bikes including the ST 1300 . I can tow it with my Honda Element as it is just under the 1500 lb tow limit with the ST aboard so you should have no problem towing with your RV.
It has a ramp door and is fitted with a Condor drive in wheel chock . Drive in chock is probably a must have if you are loading the ST by yourself. The ST fits under the torsion bar for the ramp with windshield down but you have to duck if you are in the saddle powering in. I bought new approximately 5 years ago- IIRC the trailer itself was in the $ 1800. range but by the time I added the chock, tie down rings , spare tire and tube hitch/ draw bar and ball for the tow vehicle the numbers climbed into the $3200. area.
You will also need jacks at the rear or jack stands if you want to load or unload with the trailer unhitched.
image.jpgimage.jpg

OP
OP
Bike
2004 ST1300 ABS
I also have an RV just like yours. The hitch will definitely NOT support the ST. I have seen at RV parks a one wheel trailer that can support TWO motorcycles, and they have an advantage of being easy to back up.
I am guessing that I would have to move to a much lighter motorcycle/scooter in order for the hitch option to work. I will check on the weights of smaller motorcycles and scooters.

Do you know who manufactures the one wheel trailer?

OP
OP
Bike
2004 ST1300 ABS
I have an enclosed 5x8 V nose trailer with ramp door that works fine for all my bikes including the ST 1300 . I can tow it with my Honda Element as it is just under the 1500 lb tow limit with the ST aboard so you should have no problem towing with your RV.
It has a ramp door and is fitted with a Condor drive in wheel chock . Drive in chock is probably a must have if you are loading the ST by yourself. The ST fits under the torsion bar for the ramp with windshield down but you have to duck if you are in the saddle powering in. I bought new approximately 5 years ago- IIRC the trailer itself was in the $ 1800. range but by the time I added the chock, tie down rings , spare tire and tube hitch/ draw bar and ball for the tow vehicle the numbers climbed into the $3200. area.
You will also need jacks at the rear or jack stands if you want to load or unload with the trailer unhitched.
image.jpgimage.jpg
Your smaller trailer seems to be a good option for me. I will visit a local dealer to get a sense of the interior space. Hopefully I can find one already equipped with the chock and tie down rings.

Bike
2007 ST 1300
I see you are from Moorestown - I think there is a Hecht trailers on Rt 38 - mt holly area . You are also welcome to come look at mine - I am on LBI - if you want to ride down you can try loading your bike as well . Hecht has all the accessories and did the installation on mine - I just picked what I wanted - they had several chocks to choose from . If I can remember how to do it I will PM you with my phone # /address - let me know - Richard

OP
OP
Bike
2004 ST1300 ABS
I see you are from Moorestown - I think there is a Hecht trailers on Rt 38 - mt holly area . You are also welcome to come look at mine - I am on LBI - if you want to ride down you can try loading your bike as well . Hecht has all the accessories and did the installation on mine - I just picked what I wanted - they had several chocks to choose from . If I can remember how to do it I will PM you with my phone # /address - let me know - Richard
I spent about a half hour with Lissa at Hecht's Trailers in Mount Holly today looking at trailers. She was an excellent resource for all questions about trailers and owns a number of motorcycles. We looked at a 5x8 trailer as well as a 6x10 trailer. Her suggestion was to go with a larger trailer (6x10) for the ST, or buy a smaller bike and go with the 5x8 trailer. So many choices...

Bike
2006 Honda st1300
Enclosed trailer would be my choice as it keeps the ST secured and out of the elements. You can also take gear with you that you wouldn't have been able to before.

Top Bottom