I may never go back - AudioVox CCS-100 failure

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
Uncle Phil said:
The folks at MCCruise (the Australian Cruise Control Maker) said our ethanol formulations work hard on the O-rings in their solenoids in the vacuum boosters. It's the vapors through the vacuum lines that seem to so it. I've had to replace the O-rings in a couple of my units.

and

I bought a o-ring kit from my local autoparts that had way more sizes than I needed, but I was able to find the right ones in it for my MCCruise Vacuum unit.

If the ethanol is the problem, I would suggest the replacement be a Viton (brown color) O ring. They are a little tougher and more chemical tolerant. If you know the size, Grainger or any hydraulic/pneumatic supplier or the internet can probably help you.

OP
OP
sstakes1
Bike
07 ST1300A
Yes there is. Mine quit working and it turned out that the solenoids were stuck. I disassembled the servo, tested each solenoid with a 12v battery and some jumper wires. All 3 solenoids clicked when energizing so I put a drop of 3 in 1 oil in each solenoid and it has worked perfectly since. The servo is simple to take apart just go slow and easy with the plastic release tabs, I found a thread about doing this on this forum.
Well it only took a little over three years after my initial post that started this thread. Pulled the CCS-100 unit today (this thread was useful CCS teardown). All the boards and O-rings were in pristine shape. Testing revealed that the center solenoid (the one that actuates the vacuum) needed a little encouragement. A drop of Wahl's trimmer oil did the trick. Hope this lasts for a while.

On the other hand, when testing the unit with the bike on neutral and RPMs at around 3000, trying to set cruise caused an RPM surge and the automatic cut-out of cruise happened. I do not recall this behavior when it was first installed. I noticed that the central solenoid port has a (red tipped) conical valve; and after the oil application, the travel was significant and opened up fully. Perhaps my unit was already on borrowed solenoid time with partial actuation which caused it to work with the bike in neutral.

The solenoids for the dump and vent ports do not seem to have that much travel by design as they do not seem to have the same kind of valve /seat.
--Ram

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
It is next to impossible to test the cruise on the center stand. Believe me I tried. Go out and ride it is the the only true test.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I concur take it out on a test ride. I would also ride it without the shelter on so you can see it actually operating.

I believe it’s a safety feature when the revs go super high without a load like pulling in the clutch it will shutdown.

OP
OP
sstakes1
Bike
07 ST1300A
It is next to impossible to test the cruise on the center stand. Believe me I tried. Go out and ride it is the the only true test.
Thanks. I have fully tested it under ride condition; holds speed uphill and downhill. Cuts out on front/back brake as well as clutch pulled in. The center stand was just a shakedown to see if the unit is back to life or required more tinkering.

OP
OP
sstakes1
Bike
07 ST1300A
I believe it’s a safety feature when the revs go super high without a load like pulling in the clutch it will shutdown.
Yes. Tested it under ride condition as well. My remark was that it the center stand test did not seem to trigger this feature the last time it was installed. My conjecture is that the partial opening of the vacuum port meant that the throttle pull was not strong/quick enough to race the engine.

Top Bottom