Boots Wide boot recommendations

Bike
2020 Tracer 900GT
STOC #
I have had great success with the Oxtar Matrix and the TCX boot. However I cannot get my feet into the latest pair of TCX boots as they are too wide. The new boot may have a different cut than previous versions.

What touring boots have a true wide cut. I have size 9 5E width feet.

Suggestions?

Bike
2012 honda ST1300
STOC #
I have some Chippewa 12ee and they are true to the width. They second for the Fred Flintstone style brakes if needed since they are so big or pavement alerts in the curves because they will drag before the foot pegs do.

Bike
2010 ST1300
This is an interesting option. I am going to check with the local cobbler to see if they can widen the boot.
Good idea, but the most they will do is give you a bit extra room - there is not enough give in leather to yield a full size increase. The width of a shoe is frozen by the side welts where the upper is sewn to the sole (or glued in cheaper shoes). If you push outward on the sides, the top comes down. Leather will stretch a only a little.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
This is a UK based answer - but it may well be worth getting in touch if there are no other solutions.

Altberg is a UK boot manufacturer, based here in Yorkshire. They manufacture an excellent range of boots for Police, army, walkers and motorcyclists. Their website is here : www.altberg.co.uk

I have always had problems buying shoes and boots that will fit me. I have very wide feet and an exceptionally high instep - which makes it impossible for me to get many shoes on, and to get my foot to go into a boot around the corner.

Altberg do a made to measure service, which I thought I would need, but they also make many of their boots in different width fittings. My normal boot size is about 11.5, and I bought a pair of 12.5 Hogg All weather Microlite boots. At the time, these were the only ones that came in the extra wide fitting, so the classic style motorcycle boot was no good for me. The Hogg all weather microlite (one size too big) fitted really well. I have a pair of Altberg walking boots size 12 (half a size over my shoe size), these use the same sole as the Hoggs so I knew that I needed a tad more space for the motorcycle boots.

The boots are comfy, warm, completely waterproof and comfortable to walk around in. Previous boots used to leave me feeling claustrophobic if I set down for a coffee for more than 20 minutes. These don't - I can leave them on all day. They are big boots, and the feel of brake and gear lever is slightly different, but I got used to it within the first couple of minutes of any single ride, and after a couple of weeks, the different feel wasn't an issue.

These people know what they are talking about when it comes to boots. They make them and fit them and I have found them to be extremely helpful. They may be able to advise about buying on line, from the States and whether or not they supply any military or police over the pond.

But at the price, it may be a gamble too far if you cannot find somewhere to actually try them on.

Last edited:
Bike
VStrom 650
+1 Altbergs, they last forever and can be re soled.
Very generous fit.
Sending mine to be re soled this winter, they're only 15 years old and probably 50000 plus miles.
Upt'North.

Try Hitchcock Wide Shoes For Men . No motorcycle boot fits my EEEEE feet so I have to make do with one of the boots in here.

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
I bought a pair of BMW Allround motorcycle boots a couple of years ago. I'm not a 5E, but I found these to be wider than Alpinestars and Tourmaster, and full value for the price with Goretex lining. Here's a review from Rider.

RCS

Alpinestar supertech R boots have a wide cut. I find them to be very comfortable on 11 hour rides and they offer great protection when going highway speeds.

OP
OP
STrep
Bike
2020 Tracer 900GT
STOC #
This is a UK based answer - but it may well be worth getting in touch if there are no other solutions.

Altberg is a UK boot manufacturer, based here in Yorkshire. They manufacture an excellent range of boots for Police, army, walkers and motorcyclists. Their website is here : www.altberg.co.uk

I have always had problems buying shoes and boots that will fit me. I have very wide feet and an exceptionally high instep - which makes it impossible for me to get many shoes on, and to get my foot to go into a boot around the corner.

Altberg do a made to measure service, which I thought I would need, but they also make many of their boots in different width fittings. My normal boot size is about 11.5, and I bought a pair of 12.5 Hogg All weather Microlite boots. At the time, these were the only ones that came in the extra wide fitting, so the classic style motorcycle boot was no good for me. The Hogg all weather microlite (one size too big) fitted really well. I have a pair of Altberg walking boots size 12 (half a size over my shoe size), these use the same sole as the Hoggs so I knew that I needed a tad more space for the motorcycle boots.

The boots are comfy, warm, completely waterproof and comfortable to walk around in. Previous boots used to leave me feeling claustrophobic if I set down for a coffee for more than 20 minutes. These don't - I can leave them on all day. They are big boots, and the feel of brake and gear lever is slightly different, but I got used to it within the first couple of minutes of any single ride, and after a couple of weeks, the different feel wasn't an issue.

These people know what they are talking about when it comes to boots. They make them and fit them and I have found them to be extremely helpful. They may be able to advise about buying on line, from the States and whether or not they supply any military or police over the pond.

But at the price, it may be a gamble too far if you cannot find somewhere to actually try them on.
Thanks John... I will check the site out

Bike
07 ST1300
I have some Chippewa 12ee and they are true to the width. They second for the Fred Flintstone style brakes if needed since they are so big or pavement alerts in the curves because they will drag before the foot pegs do.
Ya my Chippewa's are the widest boots I have seen.

Top Bottom