Installing new tires...Bearings ??

Sorry to ask redundant questions:( I have read several posts and still need clarification. I cleaned the rear tire splines and plan on using (LOCTITE 8012 part #51048). Can't find M60 and not sure about m77? Any thoughts on the Loctite? My next question, What grease goes in the bearings? What should I torque the rear axle bolt too? I read mfg torque specs is to much on some bikes? I will also be changing the front tire as well, what grease and how much for the front bearings.... what about torque recommendation for front axel? I have a repair manual on its way...:) THANKS for the replies...!!!:)

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I've never greased the wheel bearings on any bike I've ever owned, curious to see what others think about that. 99.99% of my riding is in the dry, if that makes any difference.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
This article may help you. I suggest you wait until you get the Service Manual before you attempt to R&R the front wheel. There is a specific sequence of steps to installing the front wheel which needs to be adhered to. The manual also specifies the torque for the axle nut and caliper bolts. Here's the link to the article on installing the rear wheel.

Observe the torque specs Honda specifies. Note that the threads on both the axle or bolt and the nut that goes on it must be clean and dry. Be careful not to get any grease or oil on the threads or you will be over-torquing the axle nut or caliper bolts.

You don't need grease for the bearings, they are greased and sealed when manufactured. I don't know what substitute moly paste is acceptable but will search to see if I can find out. I think I remember seeing a post or posts here on that subject before.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I just wipe a smidge of regular wheel bearing grease between the wheel bearing seal "lips" prior to reinstalling a wheel. I paper towel out the old grease first. I only use Honda Moly 60 on splines and have no recommendation on alternatives. Front wheel axle pinch bolts on lower fork legs - 16 ft lbs, front wheel axle nut 58 ft lbs, rear caliper stopper bolt 51 ft lbs, rear axle bolt 80 ft lbs.

I use the Loctite moly you posted. (Valkyrie and ST1300). I check the grease in the flange bearings since my last three tire changes have also required flange bearing replacement. Before installing this last set, I looked into the bearings. There was almost no grease in them Not sure why, but I guessed they got hot enough for long enough in storage that it dripped out. I repacked them about 40% full before reinstalling the seals and then the bearings. I have changed tires once since then and the bearings were still perfect.

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
I have very carefully pried the seal off sealed bearings and added additional grease, especially on dirt bikes where the bearing will most likely be submerged at some point. I was always surprised how little grease is in a sealed bearing. Whether adding the extra grease is beneficial, I can't say. In my 50 years of riding, I've only had one wheel bearing fail on a ride (in the middle of BFE Peru and I found a replacement at an agricultural supply not 10 km from the failure) and I can't remember if I added any extra grease to that wheel bearing.

Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
Sorry to ask redundant questions:( I have read several posts and still need clarification. I cleaned the rear tire splines and plan on using (LOCTITE 8012 part #51048). Can't find M60 and not sure about m77? Any thoughts on the Loctite? My next question, What grease goes in the bearings? What should I torque the rear axle bolt too? I read mfg torque specs is to much on some bikes? I will also be changing the front tire as well, what grease and how much for the front bearings.... what about torque recommendation for front axel? I have a repair manual on its way...:) THANKS for the replies...!!!:)
The Honda ST1300 Service Manual indicates to use "molybdenum disulfide paste (containing more than 40% molybdenum disulfide, NLGI #2 or quivalent)". Honda Moly 60 (USA only) has been superseded by Honda M-77 Assembly Paste.

Loctite's LB 8012 contains 65% MoS2 (molybdenum disulfide). See attached PDF.

Attachments

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
NLGI #2 or quivalent
Note that Loctite's LB 8012 does not meet this spec. Their website also states that it is an assembly lube, so don't know if it would be acceptable for this application. You may need to look elsewhere for an acceptable moly paste, just sayin'.

Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
Note that Loctite's LB 8012 does not meet this spec. Their website also states that it is an assembly lube, so don't know if it would be acceptable for this application. You may need to look elsewhere for an acceptable moly paste, just sayin'.
After much searching, I have found, on a UK website, a PDF that lists Loctite LB 8012 as NLGI #2​. See page 6 in the PDF.
One of things I noticed is that this product is listed as Black in color. I have found others with the color listed as Dark Gray. (https://tds.us.henkel.com/NA/UT/HNAUTTDS.nsf/web/A1A6CD26FBD6F879882571870000DBB5/$File/LB 8012-EN.pdf)

Do the color differences mean anything? I have no idea. Caveat emptor.

Last edited:
Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Front axle - 58 ft/lbs
Rear axle - 80 ft/lbs
Front Caliper - 23 ft/lbs
Front pinch- 16 ft/lbs
Rear brake stopper bolt - 51 ft/lbs

Get yourself an owners manual and shop manual.

Top Bottom