Vibration/clunk from driveshaft

Hi,

I have noticed a vibration, at first I thought it may be the fairing mounts of something. But today when riding I have noticed it is coming from the driveshaft.

It has got worse today, it only vibrates and clunks when the driveshaft is under power i.e. from acceleration and at stable speeds, as soon as I de-accelerate or pull the clutch it, it stops about a second later.

I noticed when I got it home, I could smell like a hot metal smell coming from it.

I think it is coming from the front of the driveshaft, not the wheel end, any ideas?

Stop riding it and replace your U-Joint... Whats happening is that while your under power the bad u-joint is shifting the driveshaft out of center causing the vibration. When you decelerate it puts the shaft back in alignment and vibration stops....

OP
OP
Stop riding it and replace your U-Joint... Whats happening is that while your under power the bad u-joint is shifting the driveshaft out of center causing the vibration. When you decelerate it puts the shaft back in alignment and vibration stops....
Thank you :)

Bike
2006 Honda st1300
Found a U-joint on eBay for $25. Don't drive until repaired. Replace rear drive fluid also with hypoid 80W90.

OP
OP
Guys thank you so much, your were spot on, it was the U Joint that was at fault. Got a new one for £24 on eBay. :)

Top Bottom