Low MPG reading?

Bike
St1300
I think the max capacity of the tanks may be 7.7 gal, but the fuel pump in the lower tank and float in the upper tank could account for the .3 gal reduction we see.

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
Hi there and thank you for your input. I filled up the tank to the very top and rode 128 miles and my fuel
gauge was on 1 bar and flashing, then it changed to 18 miles and went down very fast.
This really doesn't help us to figure out whether you have a gas guzzling problem or a gauge problem. Fill it up and tell us how much fuel it took and how many miles you rode to get it to that point.

Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
Hooooweeee, Kent. You were on FUMES. At 39.5 mpg, you had 7.9 miles left until empty! Talk about cutting it close. ;)
Thanks for that. I'll keep it in mind.
I was kind of wondering if the gauge had a different look for "Refuel NOW you IDIOT!" other than the flashing one-bar. If needed I was going to feed in a little of the 12:1 two-stroke mix but I didn't run out before I got to my local station.

My wife's Honda GROM shows a flashing single bar for a while and then the bar stop flashing and stays solid red when you reach fumes. The single bar is a black LED covering a solid red background on the Grom. When not flashing, you see black. When flashing you see black/red/black/red. When the LED is off, you see the solid red inked background.

Later,
Kent Larson in Minnesota

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
I was kind of wondering if the gauge had a different look for "Refuel NOW you IDIOT!"
Yes - it has a 3 stage warning.

At around 5 litres, the single segment block begins to blink and the fuel consumption switches to show the estimate number of miles that are left in the tank, based on current driving conditions ***
At around 2 litres left, the number of miles left switches to a couple of dashes. I can't remember whether or not they flash.
At around 0 litres left, the engine switches itself into silent running.

*** So I believe - When it has looked as though it will be a close run thing whether or not I will reach a fuel stop, I have driven more economically and have seen the displayed mileage increase as a result.

Bike
2004 ST1300
Thanks for that. I'll keep it in mind.
I was kind of wondering if the gauge had a different look for "Refuel NOW you IDIOT!" other than the flashing one-bar. If needed I was going to feed in a little of the 12:1 two-stroke mix but I didn't run out before I got to my local station.

My wife's Honda GROM shows a flashing single bar for a while and then the bar stop flashing and stays solid red when you reach fumes. The single bar is a black LED covering a solid red background on the Grom. When not flashing, you see black. When flashing you see black/red/black/red. When the LED is off, you see the solid red inked background.

Later,
Kent Larson in Minnesota
Kent, "12:1 two stroke mix"?? I've run some thick ratois in various old engines, but none like that.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
John, is "silent running" mode, the same as "operating in the non-functioning mode"?

:)
Almost. Silent running mode is the warning indication that you get first. It doesn't last for long - dependent upon the speed the bike was travelling immediately before entering this particular mode. I think the ECM must work it out from the sensors. Maybe 100 yards. After that the bike switches to your 'operating in non-functioning mode'.

Now, what was Darryl's original question ?

Bike
St1300
Ok, I can't see that your problem is resolved.
I have a 2004 with 110k and it averaged about 35 mpg when new. I would consider your bike as still new is it only has 10k+ on it.
Today my MPG stays in the 46-48 range, depending on highway or city street riding and the instantaneous reading low 60's 45-50 mph, low 50's 60-70 mph and 40's in the 70-80 mph range. I also use 87 octane gas, which is our regular grade gas.
Things I've done are balancing the throttle body sync. and reduce rolling resistance by altering suspension setup.
Improving throttle body balance;
A. Reduced high engine heat to a non issue level.
B. Eliminated throttle slop.
C. Stopped discoloration of the exhaust at the catalytic converters.
D. Eliminated heavy shifting force. (relocating rubber hoses to trailing side of shift linkage helped as well).
G. Greatly reduced high pitched whine. (gone when cruising in high gear).
H. Improved gas mileage.
J. Runs on 87 octane gas with any not problem. (Previously, it would constantly stall at idle.)
Altering suspension setup;
I dropped my bike numerous times because it was so difficult to move. Today it feels like it rolls by itself with the slightest down grade.
I've adjusted my suspension so the frame sits level, resting on the side stand, without a rider. To do this the Triple Tree was raised, fork springs replaced with single compression rate springs, increased preload of fork springs and replaced rear shock to lower rear.
Today the static angle of the steering head is 26 degrees, advancing to 28 with my 180 lbs in the saddle.
These alterations had these noticeable results;
A. Rolls easily.
B. Tires wear uniformly.
C. Eliminated all necessity to countersteer. (Look where you want to go and lean into and out of a turn.)
D. improved low and high speed handling characteristics.

Hope some of this helps with your problem resolution/
Bill

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
C. Eliminated all necessity to countersteer. (Look where you want to go and lean into and out of a turn.)
I think countersteering is a fact of physics and not really an option at speed above crawl.

As to rolling resistance— are you referring to the ease at which you can maneuver at 0mph? Otherwise I'm unclear as to how suspension geometry affects rolling resistance similar to say— pumping the tires up and ensuring the brakes aren't dragging or that there's no binding or drag anywhere in the drive train.

Color me curious.

Bike
St1300
DavisR8, (correction name)
Under the bike, behind the crankcase, three rubber hoses pass behind the engine and infront of the shift linkage. I moved the hoses to the trailing side of the shift linkage as the linkage arm was compressing the hoses when shifting. But if you feel a double detent when shifting the real fix is to improve throttle body balance.
Bill

Last edited:
Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
ST GUI,
Under the bike, behind the crankcase, three rubber hoses pass behind the engine and infront of the shift linkage. I moved the hoses to the trailing side of the shift linkage as the linkage arm was compressing the hoses when shifting. But if you feel a double detent when shifting the real fix is to improve throttle body balance.
Bill
His bike has been whispered.....

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Only those whose bike I've whispered (taken hostage) know how many things are on the dreaded OCD whispered list :rofl1:

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Is a trip south in my future? Hmmm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It would be in your best interest :rolleyes:
I've had folks ride in from as far away as Georgia, Arizona, Washington, and Canada.
They were all glad they did.
Take a chance...you pay your dollar and you place your bet :rofl1:

Bike
2010 ST1300 ABS
Earlier I had commented on the inaccuracy of the On Board fuel mileage average (reading low).

I just got back from a 3700 mile trip to Texas and back. The on board computer showed my fuel mileage average at 40.5 MPG. Manual calculation of the fuel used showed 44.4 MPG!

Keith

Top Bottom