Throttle control housing vs. Vera cruise

Bike
07 ST 1300 A
So I took a chance on a versa cruise that "fits most Hondas" although I was concerned about clearance . Well I managed to get enough clearance for the clamp that attaches to the handlebar but when I went to tighten down the housing I realized there is a pin on the lower side that fits into a hole in the handlebar, securing the housing at the proper location.
But to make room for the versa cruise I moved the housing about 1/16 inch. Do other bikes have this location pin and is it
really needed? I thought of drilling a new hole, or removing the position pin. Right now I have it partially attached and it seems to work just fine, but not a good permanent situation. Other than returning the versa cruise, I just want thoughts on drilling a new hole, removing the pin, or leaving it as is. It really works fine as is but the housing does not have a good seal and will allow moisture to get inside.
Thoughts?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Yes many other bikes have them. All my Hondas (from '71 or'72 on). As they keep the control pods from rotating the pins are only necessary if you don't twist the grips too much.

You could pull the pin (and count to four!) slide the pod to where you want and tighten the screws. It's possible/probably the grip will twist and possibly slide. I put a set of clubman style handlebars on my 750-4 and they didn't have a hole so I pulled the pin. Due the downward angle of the bars the pods would eventually start to slide off the bars. Fortunately the wire harness to the pod kept it from sliding too far. :eek:4:

You could try putting a very thin piece of rubber between the pod and the handlebar to increase friction. Otherwise you probably won't be able to tighten the screws in the pods enough to prevent the pod twisting or sliding.

I used a spring-loaded center punch and drilled new holes. Worked fine.

OP
OP
Trussellcma
Bike
07 ST 1300 A
Thanks man, that is exactly what I was hoping to find out. I think I'll try pulling the pin out and see how the stability holds up.

Top Bottom