Goldwing tip over bars installed.

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Took a few minutes (literally less than 20 minutes) this afternoon to install my tip over bars and adapter plates.

Easy job, I spent some time removing mill marks from the plates and cutting the extraneous tabs off the bars.
Put the bars on the adapters as per the instructions.

Over to the bike.
Removed the lower left side bolt. On with the adapter. No problem except it too tight to use the upper washer. And it's definitely a tight squeeze with the bag.

The right side was a different story.
Bottom bolt out no problem. I can't remove the top bolt because the plate won't swing forward enough to fully clear the frame bolt head.

I positioned the plate so the I could remove the bolt holding the upper bar tab (I have had a bar tab or two! [emoji481]) and swung the plate out of the way.
Removed the upper frame bolt.

Replaced the bar tab bolt and swung the adapter into place. Tightened everything up and all is good. I wasn't able to use the washer on the top bolt on this side either.

The adapter plates are good quality. Thanks RedDirtCowboy! I think the issue is the bars I ended up buying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
WOW! Great pics. Not only good detail/sharp focus but good angles too. Thanks for that.

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
Looking good.

I've been looking for a set of bars for my 04. Not sure what a good price is. If I can find them in black I might prefer that.

Great pics.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

slmjim

Hopeless Tool Junkie
Derby City - Home of The Louisville Slugger
Bike
Which one today...?
I took the washer and ground a flat edge on it. Worked for me.
Ditto.

I used an earlier version of the mount plate before the oval hole was implemented. Even so, I wanted as much support under the bolt heads as possible over the softer aluminum. It worked OK for me.

I bought the needed fasteners at a local Fastenal.

Good Ridin'
slmjim

tjhiggin

R.I.P. - 2022/06/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
2004 ST1300A
I've been looking for a set of bars for my 04. Not sure what a good price is. If I can find them in black I might prefer that.
Have you looked at the Byg Dawg bars? They are black. More expensive than the GW bars but they install easily, fit perfectly, and look great on my '04.

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Have you looked at the Byg Dawg bars? They are black. More expensive than the GW bars but they install easily, fit perfectly, and look great on my '04.
I sure did. The challenge is that by the time currency conversion, taxes and duty are calculated the ByDawg bars are nearly $350 CDN.

I paid ~$80 CDN for the adapters and $40 CDN for the bars for a total of $120.

Last edited:
Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
That's why I'm looking for GW bars... The price.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Originally Posted by Rekoob
I'm looking for GW bars... The price.
And the strength...
And the looks. Besides the aforementioned attributes I like a bit o' chrome on a bike and the ST has very little. The GW bars (in chrome) look nice on the ST.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
And the looks. Besides the aforementioned attributes I like a bit o' chrome on a bike and the ST has very little. The GW bars (in chrome) look nice on the ST.
I'm using them in chrome. But I would n;t mind the black on the '05 red. Nice contrast to the silver frame. I need to powdercoat a piece of my DIY highway pegs and I might try a see if I can stick the powder to the GW bars.

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I have considered painting the bars but first wanted to see how they fit.

My partner jumped on the bike last night and and asked if she could put her heels on the upper leg of the bar to change positions a bit.
She's only 5'1" tall so when she did her upper leg was just parallel to the ground so it wasn't even that high for her.

Makes me wonder if peg risers are an option.

slmjim

Hopeless Tool Junkie
Derby City - Home of The Louisville Slugger
Bike
Which one today...?
And passenger footroom.
I had the BigDawg bars for a few years. They crowded my wife's feet, which seriously crowded my feet. When the first run of the new adapters was made available, I installed the GW bars. The shape results in much more passenger footroom, resulting in more Rider footroom. I happily sold the BigDawg bars.

Good Ridin'
slmjim

Bike
'08 ST1300
Can you tell us where you got these, please? I see plenty of used bars for sale, but I don't see adapter plates. Only the set together, for $150 and up, USD.

Thanks in advance.

Took a few minutes (literally less than 20 minutes) this afternoon to install my tip over bars and adapter plates.

Easy job, I spent some time removing mill marks from the plates and cutting the extraneous tabs off the bars.
Put the bars on the adapters as per the instructions.

Over to the bike.
Removed the lower left side bolt. On with the adapter. No problem except it too tight to use the upper washer. And it's definitely a tight squeeze with the bag.

The right side was a different story.
Bottom bolt out no problem. I can't remove the top bolt because the plate won't swing forward enough to fully clear the frame bolt head.

I positioned the plate so the I could remove the bolt holding the upper bar tab (I have had a bar tab or two! [emoji481]) and swung the plate out of the way.
Removed the upper frame bolt.

Replaced the bar tab bolt and swung the adapter into place. Tightened everything up and all is good. I wasn't able to use the washer on the top bolt on this side either.

The adapter plates are good quality. Thanks RedDirtCowboy! I think the issue is the bars I ended up buying.

Top Bottom