Some tire advice please

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
The T30 is a nicer tire, softer riding and very grippy, but I am seeing the wear bars after 3500km! I have been fastidious about pressures and kept them to 42 psi at all times.
I noticed there's a GT model of the T30 EVO, but not in sizes for our bike. These are typically oriented to heavier bikes. I checked the weight rating on the non GT version and it seems okay for the ST, but I wonder if the GT would wear better.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
I got about 7,500km on the T30 and about 10,000km on the T30 Evo. Currently on Z6's hoping for better mileage. Both the T30 and the T30 Evo are very nice tires, wet and dry.

The T30 Evo is multi compound and seeing your wear right to the edge of the tire you're obviously riding very hard in the corners on pretty soft rubber. Sounds like your roads are virtually all twisties, a "problem" I'd certainly like to have on a daily basis.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I noticed there's a GT model of the T30 EVO, but not in sizes for our bike. These are typically oriented to heavier bikes. I checked the weight rating on the non GT version and it seems okay for the ST, but I wonder if the GT would wear better.
The GT versions of the tires are supposed have heavier sidewalls (at least for Bridgestone). I burned through as set of the BT0?? (don't remember which ones) in less than 1,800 miles on one of my ST1100s. Since Bridgestone MC Tire headquarters is here where I live (Nashville), Tim Keel of Two Brothers Tires got them involved. They came over to my house and saw the suspension/tire pressure, etc. was correct and figured it was a sidewall strength issue. A while after they took my set of tires back to the lab, Bridgestone came out with the 'GT' models. :D

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
[Edit]Oops. Sorry - i missed the bit about this being an ST1100 thread. My comment was in reply to RobbieAG below, who has an ST1300.[/Edit]

Yes there is a T30 Evo GT - I have one fitted on my bike (ST1300) - in the UK. Something odd has happened with the info on the Bridgestone website. There seems to have been a T30 and a T30 Evo with GT versions for both at one time. At least that is what I can remember when the T30 Evo came out.

I had the T30 GTs on my bike a while back and I liked them. I have been waiting for a convenient time to put the T30 Evo GTs on the bike to see how they fare - but they weren't listed. It seemed as though the Evo designation had disappeared. I was told that they were available, but many sites didn't list them. I made sure that the shop specified T30 Evo GT, and that is what I got.

The T30 GT rear didn't quite last as long as the BT020F Rear, but the front lasted for two rear tyres. I have had the T30 Evo GTs for just 2500 fully loaded, 2-up miles and they seem to be doing well at present. But we will see how they last. BT020s last me just over 5000 miles for comparison - I seem to be heavy on tyres - I suspect due to the load.

I was confused by what I saw on the Bridgestone (UK) site, so I contacted them. Their reply:

For your bike we recommend the following tyres as an axle pair fitment.
BT020
BT 023 GT spec
T30 GT
T30EVO GT

We would not recommend mixing them, but as a front and back paired fitment it will be fine.

Email dated 17 July 2017.

I note that they didn't mention the F rated spec for the BT020 - but the F rated spec has always been their recommendation.
Also note that these are for the ST1300. The ST1100 has different recommendations.

Just been out to check the sidewall.
The rear is labelled BATTLAX and Sport Touring. Then T30R.
A couple of cm away in much smaller lettering in an oval outline is (EVO GT)

The front is similar except of course with T30F instead of T30R

Last edited:
OP
OP
TerryS
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I got about 7,500km on the T30 and about 10,000km on the T30 Evo. Currently on Z6's hoping for better mileage. Both the T30 and the T30 Evo are very nice tires, wet and dry.

The T30 Evo is multi compound and seeing your wear right to the edge of the tire you're obviously riding very hard in the corners on pretty soft rubber. Sounds like your roads are virtually all twisties, a "problem" I'd certainly like to have on a daily basis.
Yep that does sound like my "problem". :cool:

OP
OP
TerryS
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
The GT versions of the tires are supposed have heavier sidewalls (at least for Bridgestone). I burned through as set of the BT0?? (don't remember which ones) in less than 1,800 miles on one of my ST1100s. Since Bridgestone MC Tire headquarters is here where I live (Nashville), Tim Keel of Two Brothers Tires got them involved. They came over to my house and saw the suspension/tire pressure, etc. was correct and figured it was a sidewall strength issue. A while after they took my set of tires back to the lab, Bridgestone came out with the 'GT' models. :D
Glad to know I'm not the only tyre torturer here UP.

AFAIK the T30 Evo GT is not available in 160/70 stock size for the 1100. Having ridden originally on a 160/60 before replacing that with a 160/70 BT020, I have seen for myself that the 70 profile makes a significant difference to steering, ground clearance, gearing and ease of centrestand use, so my preference is to stay with the stock size. Different story for the 1300 which is stock on the 160/60.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have run various 170/60s on the rear (ST1300 size) and have not had any trouble with clearance, side stand, ABS function, etc. What is interesting is that the front tire size for a ST1100 ABSII is the exact same size as the ST1300 front. I'm running an ABSII front rim on my ST1100 standard (have to swap the discs) just so I use the same size on all three bikes. That way I have all of the ST1300 tire sizes to chose from besides what's left of the ST1100 sizes.

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
I did put T30 GTs (not EVO) on my 1300. So far I've got around 4500 miles on them and they seem fine - no abnormal wear. I don't see them listed any more so I presume they were replaced by the T30 EVO. I would put them on the 1100 if they were available in the right size.

Top Bottom