Fitting Drive Shaft Help Needed

I had got a new driveshaft as the U-Joint on my old broke.

I am having a nightmare getting the driveshaft and swing arm back on.

If I put the driveshaft on first the swing arm catches on the frame of the bike and cannot go all the way in.

If I insert the driveshaft whilst inside the swing arm, it is impossible to get the driveshaft on the output as the U-Joint keeps tilting and so will not align with the output.

There must be a certain way to do this, any ideas please?

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/content.php?219-ST1300-U-Joint-Removal-and-Replacement. Detailed information on removal and installation including pics. I purchased a repair manual the day I bought my ST1300.
The link above is for a ST1300 . Tyron has a ST1100. Procedure is not exactly the same. For instance , when I removed my swing arm, I didn't need to remove the mufflers , etc.

But I didn't have any problems re-installing the swing arm. A little wiggling of the end of the drive shaft to align the u-joint with the transmission shaft was required, tho. I didn't have interference problems. The most difficult thing was getting the boot fitted to the frame - not much room to get up there.

Last edited:

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Install is the reverse of removal - place the drive shaft assy in the swingarm pulling it to the rear inside it, place the right front side of the swingarm into its recess in the frame, mount the swingarm pivot bolt, then from the back end of the swingarm push the driveshaft forward so the U-joint splines engage/slide onto the transmission output shaft. Having a helper makes this much easier.

To remove the swingarm you may remember that you had to grab the end of the driveshaft and pull it back/off the trannie shaft before you could get the swingarm to come out of the frame. HTH

John

Last edited:
Bike
2005 GL1800
As john describes above.
Been there....I had the same problem....you think the U/J needs to be fitted on the gearbox shaft first, but it doesn't work.
Put the drive shaft into the swing arm, then fit the swing arm with the pivot bolts, then push the drive shaft towards the gearbox while twisting it back & forth a little bit to get it to align with the splines. It will slip on...honest.

Good luck
Don

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
As john describes above.
Been there....I had the same problem....you think the U/J needs to be fitted on the gearbox shaft first, but it doesn't work.
Put the drive shaft into the swing arm, then fit the swing arm with the pivot bolts, then push the drive shaft towards the gearbox while twisting it back & forth a little bit to get it to align with the splines. It will slip on...honest.

Good luck
Don
AND . . . to tell for sure that the shaft is engaged on the output splines, snick the transmission into first, or any gear and see if you can still turn the driveshaft by hand. Still loose? Not engaged.

Bike
2006 Honda st1300
The link above is for a ST1300 . Tyron has a ST1100. Procedure is not exactly the same. For instance , when I removed my swing arm, I didn't need to remove the mufflers , etc.

Sorry, but OP didn't mention what bike. Also looked in his profile and couldn't see a mention of which bike he has.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #

Sorry, but OP didn't mention what bike. Also looked in his profile and couldn't see a mention of which bike he has.
This is the ST1100 section of the ST Forum, BTW. I wish I could afford a ST1300 , but I can't since I am retired and on a fixed income.

Top Bottom