Thought I was tired of my ST1300A

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I always felt my ST was boring...just a turn key, go anywhere, never think about the bike deal.
So....yesterday I decided to go out and test drive a few new bikes. I stopped by the Indian/Victory/Triumph dealership and looked around a bit.
I test rode a Street twin. This thing was about as tall as a Honda 250 Rebel, handlebar/seat/footpeg distance may be fine for someone about 5 feet tall.
It started with a push of a button, but then when I tried to get it rolling, I found the fly by wire mapping to be horrible! I had to turn the throttle grip about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch to get it going.
Very jerky, and at a stop light, the rpm dropped so abruptly that you'd think the bike died, as the rpm abruptly stopped everything and went straight to about a 900 rpm idle. - No thank you - moving on...
I then tried the T-100 and the T-120 models. Better comfort, good handlebar/seat/peg fit, very smooth take off, and what I thought was a fair amount of torque when you rolled it on.
Nice bikes I thought, Kinda like my old T140 Bonnies back in the day.
I stopped by the Harley shop - Nothing even remotely interested me - moving on.
BMW - Loved the R-nine-T GS model, reminded me of my old GS Basic back in the day, An engine, two wheels, and a seat. I liked everything except for the price, and lack of comfort.
Took the wife back to look at the Triumph models to see if she would be interested in a blue and white one, or a tomato orange and creme one (maybe buy a set)....
That was my big mistake...She saw the Indian Classic, Indian Vintage (leather bags) and the Indian Chieftan (hard bags)...she hopped on one, and said "This is comfortable, buy this one"!
She wants the seafoam / bridesmade green model with brown leather saddlebags, while I liked the classic Black and Burgandy one with black seats...
And I was really wanting to get a pair of Triumph's to play around on...
I quickly pulled her out of there, as she was digging in her purse for her credit cards (yes she has a black one) and took her to lunch.
After lunch, I dropped her off, and went back alone to test drive a couple of them. I must say, they are smoother, and light years ahead of any HD that I've owned.
But I still wanted to test ride some other stuff first....
Triumph Rocket III - OMG :eek:4: This thing makes my ST1300 feel like a 250 Honda Rebel!
The thrust of this thing, and torque is unbelievable, you can steer with the throttle on pavement!
This thing was a monster - Would not trust myself on this one, nor would I be able to afford rear tires every month :rofl1:
As it was time to head home, I jumped on the ST and a strange thing happened....It was very smooth, very quiet, very fast, and felt lighter handling than any of the others, and felt like home.
I guess I'll have to keep it regardless of purchasing another bike :rolleyes:
When I got home, the wife came running out to see our new Indian :run1:
She was surprised and a little disappointed to see the ST in the driveway.
I told her I was not yet ready to let it go just yet....she said she understood, but pointed out that "We could still just buy the new Indian and have both".
I may not always make good decisions on bikes, but I think I got the right wife.
Igofar

Last edited:

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Just remember, sometimes the best ride is the one you already own. I recall lyrics from Sheryl Crow...
‘It’s not having what you want, it’s wanting what you have.’

I feel the same about my 1100’s- same bikes but each is a little different- each has it’s own personality (and true, not the greatest/ fastest/ best handling, etc., but overall an excellent package that seems to do many things very well). I like to look at others (like an F6B) but at the end of the day, I own ‘em outright and they run great (and are VERY cheap to maintain)...why mess with that?

Igofar, I grew up in san jose and was over in the area on Monday. Sounds like you were at the spirit shop by the Harley dealership. Those Indians are beautiful bikes. I haven't ridden one but I have a victory cross country tour and they are great bikes. A co-worker has an Indian, forgot the model name, but that thing is a beauty and has some power. The Indian Roadmaster is the bike I'd like to get one day. I have the say the air cooled bikes run very hot compared to all the Hondas I've owned.

Maybe one day we can meet up and do a ride. My parents still live out there so I try to get out there often.

Mike

OP
OP
Igofar

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Mike, at the very least, you'll have to bring your ST over and let me do a free OCD inspection, and Whisper it if it needs it.
Larry

Larry no problem with that, I'll buy you lunch. Gotta check out a place called amatos jf you've never been. It's awesome.

Just remember, sometimes the best ride is the one you already own. I recall lyrics from Sheryl Crow...
‘It’s not having what you want, it’s wanting what you have.’

I feel the same about my 1100’s- same bikes but each is a little different- each has it’s own personality (and true, not the greatest/ fastest/ best handling, etc., but overall an excellent package that seems to do many things very well). I like to look at others (like an F6B) but at the end of the day, I own ‘em outright and they run great (and are VERY cheap to maintain)...why mess with that?
I really wanted an f6b but was disappointed they didn't come with ABS.

Bike
2004 ST1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
I meet a older gentleman on Sunday after having a great breakfast in upper WI. He was pushing 80 walking with those short
little steps. He heads directly over to me and says "ST are the best bike ever made. I had 3, 2 1100 & one 1300. I had over 40 bikes
in my life time and nothing can touch an ST". We talked a bit longer & he headed in for his meal with a BIG smile. Still not tired
of my 1100.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Have you rode a F6B? If not just take one for a test ride. That bike surprised me. And there some very good deals to be had on new ones. I'm waiting to see if the new one is for real. That could replace my ST if it is what it is looking like.
My second bike is a Triumph Tiger 800XCX. I love it! Talk about a fun bike to ride. Probably not what you are looking for though.

Bike
2005 ST1300
"We could still just buy the new Indian and have both".
Igofar

Larry, does your wife give lessons? Can i send my wife to SJ s she can hang out with your wife at the Indian store?

I have to say i test rode the Indian Roadmaster a few times and really liked it, big, comfortable and powerful with a ton of technology. Just having a hard time getting over the $27K price point. My wife also really liked the Seafoam green/cream Chieftain but just not enough to let me buy it... i live in hope

skidgillen

Site Supporter
Bike
2005 ST1300PA
Two years ago I let a friend ride my ST while I rode his Indian Chieftain. He was looking to get a used ST. The Indian was great with power aplenty and the electric windshield. I had no problems keeping up with my own ST as we got in the triple digits. But the ride was not smooth and the Indian seat really hurt my lower lumbar. I was REALLY HAPPY to get back on my ST.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
I took a Harley Street Glide out for a ride yesterday. I rented it for the day. It was expensive, but a short demo ride just wouldn't be enough.

I have an ST1300, but at some point, I may get a full-size touring bike and since the Street Glide is basically the same bike as the Ultra Glide, it would give me a good idea of what to expect.

There were lots of things to like about this bike:
very stable and much less affected by wind than the ST
top notch infotainment system including navigation
excellent front forks
great lights (all LED)
SELF-CANCELING TURN SIGNALS... REALLY NICE
very smooth shifting (never missed a shift)
6 speed trans
plenty of low-end torque
I liked the floor boards better than pegs

And a few things that would probably keep me from buying one:
with that stability comes a less nimble bike
riding position does not inspire confidence when the road gets twisty (I never touched down)
the riding position would is not really comfortable for all-day rides (at least for me)
the rear suspension was awful. some small bumps popped me off the seat
non-adjustable windscreen

Riding the Street Glide at walking speeds is interesting. While heading in a straight or slightly curving line, the bike is very stable and feels like you almost stop with your feet up. But when you make sharper turns at low speeds, the bike wants to "fall in". Once you get used to it, it's probably no big deal, but for me, it felt like I was still learning to ride a bike.

I suspect the geometry that gives this bike stability (increased front end rake?) is also causing its tendency to fall in at low speeds.

Bike
2003 Honda ST1300
Have you ridden a Truimph Trophy SE. I wonder how they compare to the ST1300? The number and reviews sure look good.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I quickly pulled her out of there, as she was digging in her purse for her credit cards (yes she has a black one) and took her to lunch.
If you use a credit card to buy a bike, do the dealerships charge you back the percentage the credit card company charges them? If they don't, and you have a cash back card, then that's a better option than cash, assuming you pay it off when the first statement arrives. I think I asked that question many, many years ago and at that time they charged you back whatever it cost them to use the card. I assume its the same today unless they're really anxious to make a deal.

Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
If you use a credit card to buy a bike, do the dealerships charge you back the percentage the credit card company charges them? If they don't, and you have a cash back card, then that's a better option than cash, assuming you pay it off when the first statement arrives. I think I asked that question many, many years ago and at that time they charged you back whatever it cost them to use the card. I assume its the same today unless they're really anxious to make a deal.
I purchased my second motorcycle (an NOS Yamaha Roadliner) with my credit card. No extra credit card fee for the purchase. I suspect it's entirely up to the dealer/sales/finance manager.

Bike
09 ST1300A
I've considered buying another bike. Been checking out my top choices, The CB1100, Indian Scout & Triumph T120.
They all weigh in about 550 lbs. That was what I was after' a couple hundred pound drop in weight.
At my age horsing around my ST in my tight garage around our cars is a bit daunting. We hit the International Motorcycle Show this year also.

So I made up an Excel chart with all the feature of these bikes including my ST on the chart.
My ST won out, it has more of the features I want, all the others fall short, to second place compared to my ST1300.

I'll keep her and just be more focused and careful moving her around in the garage, she's a dream on the road.
(of course I didn't have to tell you guys that. :)

Top Bottom