brake caliper piston cleanup

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I am throwing a new set of rear pads in next week. And I want to clean up the pistons as well as possible before pushing them back in. So first,,, does anyone have a method or measurement for how far the pistons can be extended, before they pop out. I can measure the rotor thickness,, and subtract the remaining pad thickness on the old pads, to make a safe shim stack that the old pads can be pumped out against. But the pistons may be able to be advanced further than that?? Anyone know ?? The further out they are,, the easier and more thorough the cleaning. Last time I used an old toothbrush and brake fluid to clean with,, and they came out pretty good. Anyone have another tip/trick or two ?? Cheers,, Cat'

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
While the toothbrush and brake fluid (not spray cleaner) works well, it also tends to splatter brake fluid all over everything. A flat shoestring works well also, however, I have been using a couple different methods with very good results you may find interesting.
Take a piece of nylon parachute cord, cut to about 12 inches long, pull the white strands out of the cord, leaving an empty nylon sheath. This will lay flat, and when used like a boy scout ring saw, clean the pistons quite well. Another method is to take a black nylon zip tie, cut off the end so it will lay flat and wrap it around the piston, then turn it back and forth to clean/polish the pistons. The little ridges in the tie allow the dirt to be trapped and its smooth plastic so it will not scratch your piston like scotch bright or steel wool.
The parachute cord (hollow sheath) can be rinsed in soapy water and re-used.
I find Windex with Vinegar, Simple Green, or soapy water works well for cleaning the calipers without damaging near by paint.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Why pop them out further than what it takes to clean exposed area? Normally unexposed area of the pistons will be clean and won't need going over.

OP
OP
Catmandu2
Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I just thought that the hardest place to get the last of the grime out of is right at the intersection of the piston and caliper. Moving the piston out a little further gives you better access to this spot. And,, previous service may not have been as careful as I would have liked. Some people will just jam dirty pistons back in,, or do a minimal cleaning job,,, causing sticky piston movement. I agree,, if can see the shiny band emerge,,, there is no need to expose the piston further. I am going to give the clean-up a shot,, using the mentioned tips,, and if I get brake drag,, will have to pull the caliper off for a full rebuild. Thx,, Cat'

Why pop them out further than what it takes to clean exposed area? Normally unexposed area of the pistons will be clean and won't need going over.

Top Bottom