Intimidated by Maintenance for my ST1300

Bike
2010 ST1300
I admit it. I'm intimidated by maintenance issues on my 1300 unlike any other bike or car I've owned. I'm not a newby - I've been wrenching for almost 50 years - but never on anything as packed or modern as this beast. My most recent problems will serve as an example.

One fork seal was leaking, and I've not been happy with the compliance of the shocks, so I decided to install Gold Valves at the same time as the seal replacement. I was going to wait until winter, but the oil was approaching the brake calipers so I decided to do the work now. Two recent threads set the stage. The first described major trouble loosening the fork caps, and the second stuck screws at the bottom of the fork leg. Neither of these were evident on my bike - the caps were almost hand tight and the bottom bolts holding the fork cartridge broke loose cleanly and unscrewed easily. Installing longer spacers (+1/2") was a major deal, however. My Honda fork oil behaved like liquid Helium - it climbed the walls of the fork tube and coated the spacers just before I grabbed them trying to compress the spring and slip a slotted piece of metal under the rod's nut.

That done, I proceeded on to the next issue - a classic coolant leak. Problem #1 was removing the radiator. My front calipers were supported by wire looped over the mirrors - and I was too inexperienced to know that if you tilt the bottom of the rad forward it slips off the right hand pin easy as pie - and of course I did not want to disturb the calipers which were in the way. If you don't tilt the radiator, a fan bracket hits either the right hand frame or a fuel distribution block making removal a real problem. Problem #2 was the rest of my plan, which was to change all of the thermostat hoses (preventive maint) and the stat itself. Sorry guys, while this can probably be done from the front without removing the fuel tank, air box and throttle bodies, I took Bob's advice and just tightened the hose clamp on the leaking hose and discovered how easy it was to replace the radiator when it is done correctly. Using Mark's suggested Breeze Industrial clamps will make this job even more exciting. The OEM clamps have the tightening screw facing forward with all of them accessible from the front. The aftermarket clamps are much larger and will require fiddling to position them so that one can revisit the scene of the crime later and check the tightness (if needed). In a couple of years (maybe 3) I'll consider pulling everything and replacing all the hoses from above. NOT looking forward to this at all.

Next was the fuel tank hoses. At seven years, I thought replacing them would be a good idea. Only problem here was removing all the hoses from the tank without scratching it. Of course, the smaller hose is not stocked by auto stores in the same OD, and the larger size that IS stocked will not accept the OEM spring clamp. Fortunately, NAPA had the right size clamps (last packet of assorted sizes), and assembly went smoothly. Except of course for the front seat adjust mechanism. All 4 bolt holes would not align correctly, and I eventually cross threaded one of them. I'll buy a new bolt later and a tap and chase the threads this winter. Rhetorical question - how does Honda get that metal clip on their hose clamps?

Filling the preload went smoothly - but I've done this before and my banjo bolt was already marked with yellow paint.

The bike will be together this weekend, and there were no insurmountable problems. The number of smaller issues however, wore me down, and I don't look forward to any major projects this winter. Is the intimidation factor rational? Of course not, but neither is claustrophobia or fear of heights. I can, however, deal with all of these issues.

Last edited:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Its all just about technique, and learning the proper ones for your bike.
Like tilting the radiator to clear the bracket etc. While I've used breeze clamps on several ST's at the owners request, I have also simply tightened up the OEM Honda ones, or used stainless steel marine grade clamps as well.
The most important things to remember, is not to over-tighten any of them or you can damage the pipes, and to make sure there is no rust or corrosion between the hose and the pipe (T-stat housing).
Breeze clamps can fit, but you must know the correct way to position them or you will block other service related stuff like the valve adjustment bolt etc.
The forks, again, technique. I picked up a couple top triple trees for Honda dirt bikes, that are the same dia. as our forks, for next to nothing when a store closed down. I mounted the handlebar clamps upside down on the bottom, to act as a foot in my vice, and now have a fork tube vice. It holds them to remove the upper cap, or lower bolts, it keeps them level while pumping the air out, and measuring the oil depth etc. And when it comes time to put them back together, you can adjust them in the vice (triple tree) to a certain height, and sit the lowers on a step stool, then pull the stanction tube up, and keep the oil from spilling out making everything slippery.
Another trick I use to installling the cap (without cross threading them) is to use a T-Handle 3/8 inch drive tool, with a 3/8 to 1/2 inch adaptor, and then a 1/2 inch drive 17 mm socket. Push down evenly, turn them counter clockwise until you hear/feel them click into the correct position in the thread, then start them in. This is much easier than using your hand, a wrench, or a socket on a ratchet.
As far as the Seat mount bracket, remove the bolt from the back of the tank, then only start each of the 4 screws a couple threads each (turning them backwards first) then run them down evenly so they don't bind.
Igofar

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
. I picked up a couple top triple trees for Honda dirt bikes, that are the same dia. as our forks, for next to nothing when a store closed down.
Igofar
Any idea what bike uses the same size fork tubes as the 1300? I like your jig for clamping the tubes, and while I made one out of a 2x4 that sort of works (the fork tube slides a bit when putting the cap on), if I can find a used one on fleabay or at a bike junk yard it might be a cheap tool worth having.

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Don't do this to me SMSW & Igofar. I'm looking to do some of the same work myself in the coming weeks.
Quick question: have you found the Gold Valves to be a worthwhile addition?
I find STella to be a pretty stiff ride and can hardly sense much fork movement at all. Wondering if a fork oil replacement is in order.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
If the clamps are torqued correctly when installed, there's no need to check them. (In fact, you don't check torqued fasteners, you back them out and re-torque them. Over-torqued fasteners will appear correct to a click-type wrench and a beam-type wrench would add more as you pass the correct value.)

I've had my clamps on for a very long time and had no reason to put a wrench to them.

--Mark

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Don't do this to me SMSW & Igofar. I'm looking to do some of the same work myself in the coming weeks.
I find STella to be a pretty stiff ride and can hardly sense much fork movement at all. Wondering if a fork oil replacement is in order.
I found the same so I set my preload to the proper sag for my weight (had to use longer spacers) and then went to a Belray 7wt oil. Just changing the oil makes a difference.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I went the simple route, and used 1.1 sonic springs (the 1.2 were way too harsh) Belray 7wt oil @ 125 mm down from the top, and a PVC 140 mm spacer.
This works well for me, and most folks who try my bike love them.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Any idea what bike uses the same size fork tubes as the 1300? I like your jig for clamping the tubes, and while I made one out of a 2x4 that sort of works (the fork tube slides a bit when putting the cap on), if I can find a used one on fleabay or at a bike junk yard it might be a cheap tool worth having.
I sent you an email with some pictures of my set up if you'd like to post them here to help others.
The seals and tubes on your bike are 45 mm IIRC.

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
Sounds like normal ST1300 maintenance blues to me. :) I don't think I've ever had a maintenance task that went as smoothly as I would have hoped, usually due to operator error. :lol: With shop manual in hand and all the info available here on ST-Owners I don't feel intimidated anymore, usually nervous before I get stuck in, but generally confident I can perform any maintenance on my STeed, given the right tools. So far that includes all the fluid changes, thermostat replacement, valve check and adjustment, rear shock removal and replacement and brake pad replacement, front and rear. Next up is a front suspension rebuild with new springs, bushings and seals and a starter valve synch with my new Carbtune kit my wife bought me for my birthday.

Chin up mate. You own a terrific bike and have all the support here you'll need to get you through any maintenance issues you have with your ride.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Aside from the ST13, the GL1800, CBR600RR (probably 02-05 IIRC) and the VTX1800 all share 45mm fork tubes, but there seem to be plenty of KTM and Husqvarna dirt bikes that do as well.

Do you have a "real Honda" shop manual? Shop manuals usually list step by step instructions and will save you money in the long run. I have shop manuals for my GL1800, ST1100, PC800, and all the others. If you have ever removed the body work on any of these bikes you understand why a Honda shop manual should be in you tool box.

A "real" manual will pay for its self the first time you use it.

Rayjoe

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
Do you have a "real Honda" shop manual? Shop manuals usually list step by step instructions and will save you money in the long run. I have shop manuals for my GL1800, ST1100, PC800, and all the others. If you have ever removed the body work on any of these bikes you understand why a Honda shop manual should be in you tool box.

A "real" manual will pay for its self the first time you use it.

Rayjoe
I have a real Honda shop manual. And I've found their step by step instructions to be woefully inadequate* and rife with omissions or mistakes. When reassembling a part, I've found it better to read both the disassembly steps and the assembly instructions while referring to Honda's exploded diagram and/or printed parts fiches.

I particularly like Honda's instructions to use a hoist when removing the front wheel.

*by this I mean they could include more detailed steps to make the learning curve smoother.

Last edited:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have a real Honda shop manual. And I've found their step by step instructions to be woefully inadequate* and rife with omissions or mistakes. When reassembling a part, I've found it better to read both the disassembly steps and the assembly instructions while referring to Honda's exploded diagram and/or printed parts fiches.

I particularly like Honda's instructions to use a hoist when removing the front wheel.

*by this I mean they could include more detailed steps to make the learning curve smoother.
Shop manuals in general assume the user possesses basic mechanic knowledge. Not 101 level. Honda is no worse than most and better than some. Buy a Triumph and appreciate that.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I like the 20 foot pounds torque setting for the oil filter lol.

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Shop manuals in general assume the user possesses basic mechanic knowledge. Not 101 level. Honda is no worse than most and better than some. Buy a Triumph and appreciate that.
Yup
The Triumph manual for my 955i assumes a the user has a huge amount of mechanical experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
The Triumph manual for my 955i assumes a the user has a huge amount of mechanical experience.
Shop manuals in general assume the user possesses basic mechanic knowledge. Not 101 level.
I don't believe that they are written with novice mechanics in mind. They are written for their dealer networks where they believe that the people using them are knowledgeable and who also have access to all of the manufacturer's technical information that is not available to the public.
I understand this, but the manufacturers sell more of these to us than to dealers. How many dealers return serviced bikes missing clips, bolts and plainly improperly assembled machines? If they don't provide a decent reference book we are always going to get this kind of service. (Well, a certain amount of this is the mechanic's indifference to doing the job correctly.)
How many dealerships hire ONLY Honda cert. mechanics? How many hire guys with some experience wrenching and 'train' them at our expense? Might a detailed manual go a long way to helping these guys?

I am not a 101 level mechanic. I've rebuilt three old bikes completely - torn them down and put 'em together, been wrenching on my cars for years, and have perused mechanic's textbooks on my own. However, today's cars and bikes are not the same as those 30 years ago where you could toss all the nuts and bolts in a coffee can, pull 'em out and reassemble the machine without a second glance. When I was putting the fender/brake line blocks back together yesterday I noticed two 6mm bolts - one was 2 mm longer than the other. How many dealerships will get those put back wrong with no guidance? (I cheated - I used the parts fiche online.)

I'm putting my bike back together properly - but Honda, Triump's and other manufacturer's poorly written and proofed manuals don't excuse them from criticism.

rogo

Site Supporter
Bike
'05 ST1300
2024 Miles
I like the 20 foot pounds torque setting for the oil filter lol.
The service manual is just a reference and used accordingly is an asset. that is until someone points out the fact that torque specs are erroneous. Thankfully I haven't referenced it for an oil change. It would be nice to share an online manual which our whisperer could edit/add notes.

STGuy

Play it makes life fun
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Call or email a man in Indiana. Jamie Daugherty suspension. I did an upgrade of his on my CBR 1100XX. Fully adjustable and an incredible upgrade. Came with great instructions and pictures. He does not list the ST on his website but he does have a kit for it. I was asking him if he did and yes was his reply.
Hope this helps. http://www.daughertymotorsports.com

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I don't recall ever seeing this in the owner's manual or Service Manual, and am having difficulty trying to visualize how this would work, or make front wheel removal any easier or better. This suggestion wouldn't work for me anyway, as I don't have a hoist in my garage. I doubt that a lot of forum members fall into the same category, except those that have a bona fide shop available to maintain/service their toys.

Top Bottom