Intimidated by Maintenance for my ST1300

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
I don't recall ever seeing this in the owner's manual or Service Manual, and am having difficulty trying to visualize how this would work, or make front wheel removal any easier or better.
I quote from my 2003-2011 Honda Service Manual, pg 15-15 under Front Wheel Removal: "Support the motorcycle securely using a safety stand or a hoist". As to how to go about this? Imagination is great, simply wrap a hawser around those big ears and lift. Oh? the mirror covers pop off? Don't trouble me with details.....:bow1:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I quote from my 2003-2011 Honda Service Manual, pg 15-15 under Front Wheel Removal: "Support the motorcycle securely using a safety stand or a hoist". As to how to go about this? Imagination is great, simply wrap a hawser around those big ears and lift. Oh? the mirror covers pop off? Don't trouble me with details.....:bow1:
...or safety stand."

Most people would use the lift or safety stand option the SM mentions. It doesn't say just use a hoist but you could with a little thought although that's just more work that necessary for a wheel removal.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
"Support the motorcycle securely using a safety stand or a hoist". As to how to go about this?
Several models (the ST included) ship with the front wheel detached, and dealers need a hoist to remove them from the crates. There's probably a list of things a Honda dealer should have, and a hoist is probably on it. For the ST, the hoisting points are the tipover bars and the rear grab handles.

I just put it up on the center stand and put a floor jack and 2x4 under the oil pan.

--Mark

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
As long as you have the right hoist/lift! ;)

Lift-front-tire.jpg
I am seriously considering a field modification of my HF lift. Though, removing 6 bolts (or was it 7?) and tilting the fender was so easy that I'd be nuts to spend a couple of hours doing that, finding a replacement piece of steel and a way to anchor it to the lift so that the clamp and stop plate are functional.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I am seriously considering a field modification of my HF lift. Though, removing 6 bolts (or was it 7?) and tilting the fender was so easy that I'd be nuts to spend a couple of hours doing that, finding a replacement piece of steel and a way to anchor it to the lift so that the clamp and stop plate are functional.
If you place each center stand foot on a piece of wood 5/8 to 3/4" thick you then can jack up under the engine, touch the rear wheel to the ground, and the front wheel rolls out from under the fender w/o moving or removing the fender at all.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I am seriously considering a field modification of my HF lift.
I thought about it on my recent build of a HF lift table. But the front lifting arm is right under the front wheel and gas a crossbrace. I could reinforce the arm and cut the crossbrace, but is it worth it?

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
Huh, OK the joke is on me. For 10 years I've been using that figure and it's been working. For my poor mechanical knowledge base, what's wrong with it?
Most of the oil filters I have seen say to screw it on until first contact (rubber base gasket to engine surface) then another 3/4 to 1 turn. I'm not sure how this compares to 20 ft lbs. I think 20 is way too tight. Oil filters are thin steel and can crumple when overtorqued. Removing it can then be a nightmare (restricted access and a tenacious rubber gasket that won't let go). I've been there. If you undertighten the filter, you can lose oil - messy and a potential engine disaster, not to mention dangerous if it lubes the rear tire.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Most of the oil filters I have seen say to screw it on until first contact (rubber base gasket to engine surface) then another 3/4 to 1 turn. I'm not sure how this compares to 20 ft lbs. I think 20 is way too tight. Oil filters are thin steel and can crumple when overtorqued. Removing it can then be a nightmare (restricted access and a tenacious rubber gasket that won't let go). I've been there. If you undertighten the filter, you can lose oil - messy and a potential engine disaster, not to mention dangerous if it lubes the rear tire.
That's why I like the K&N Oil Filters, that little nut on it sure makes it easy to get on and off! :hat3:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Wait until that little nut cracks and/or tears off the filter and leaks your oil out, and see if you still like them!
I got rid of (1) K&N filter off the parts shelf....now, I just have about (4) left....Hey, you have that many ST's :rolleyes:

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Wait until that little nut cracks and/or tears off the filter and leaks your oil out, and see if you still like them!
I got rid of (1) K&N filter off the parts shelf....now, I just have about (4) left....Hey, you have that many ST's :rolleyes:
Well Larry, I've gone through probably a couple of dozen of those oil filters and haven't had one give me ANY problems yet! ;)

Top Bottom