Replaced Shock

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
Last week I installed a Progressive 465 rear shock on my ST1100 (super easy - two bolts). I only took it for a short spin and a commute to work, but I can already tell it has made a huge difference. It's much more planted and confidence inspiring. The OEM Showa shock seemed okay, but with 57k miles on it (and since it's not rebuildable), it was time to replace it. I'm more convinced than ever that suspension upgrades are one of the best ways to invest in improving your bike. I was originally planning to replace it this winter along with tires and fork springs with straight rate springs, but decided to do one at a time so I can tell what the effect of each item is.

Last edited:

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Suspension upgrades are great improvements to most bikes. That said, I won't buy another shock from Progressive due to their marketing tactics.

I have one of their older shocks on my 1100 which was marketed as "rebuildable" (new 465 is too), but when I called them about having it rebuilt, they stated that parts were no longer available for it. But they would be happy to sell me a new, rebuildable shock. No offer of a discount or incentive for already having one.

I mean, what does it take to rebuild a shock? Seals, O-rings, maybe a bushing or two and some fluid. And from what I can tell, their shocks all use similar sized rods, bodies, etc.

Their shock was a big improvement over my original, tired unit. And I'm sure yours will make a big difference in your bike's handling. I hope if you ever require it that they will be able to take care of that for you.

There's an old saying my dad always said: "Screw me once, shame on you... Screw me twice, shame on me!"

I'll take my $$ elsewhere!

Last edited:
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I'm a big believer in suspension as being the best place to spend money on "upgrades". I too have a PS 465 and have been similarly happy about the improvement, in conjunction with a full work-over of the forks (new springs and revalved and re-shimmed). My only grip with the 465 is a bit of movement in the upper bearing which is detectable as a bit of a clonk when I lift the back wheel, apparently I can get a replacement for $46 plus shipping.

OP
OP
RobbieAG

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
I won't buy another shock from Progressive due to their marketing tactics.

I have one of their older shocks on my 1100 which was marketed as "rebuildable" (new 465 is too), but when I called them about having it rebuilt, they stated that parts were no longer available for it. But they would be happy to sell me a new, rebuildable shock. !
Sorry to hear about your experience. What model shock do you have? How old is it? Have you considered trying to have someone else rebuild it for you?

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Sorry to hear about your experience. What model shock do you have? How old is it? Have you considered trying to have someone else rebuild it for you?
I have the 420 series shock. I am considering a Works Performance shock to replace it. Haven't tried to have any other company rebuild it.

OP
OP
RobbieAG

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
I have the 420 series shock. I am considering a Works Performance shock to replace it. Haven't tried to have any other company rebuild it.
You may try RaceTech. I know they rebuild the OEM shock on the ST1300. There's also Cogent Dynamics whom I believe is an affiliate of RaceTech on the east coast (NC).

Last edited:

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Hadn't heard about WP; thanks for the info. Sent an email to RaceTech, will see what they say. Otherwise I may look at Hagon, Nitron or YSS.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
I got the 465 shock and new Progressive fork springs about 18 months ago. Huge improvement over the tired OEM components.

I think Dean (Gizmo) had RaceTech rebuild his OEM 1300 shock last season. New higher weight spring as well. Pretty cost effective vs. a RT replacement as I recall and he is pretty happy with the outcome. You might check with him.

STOC #
I too have the Progressive 465 in the rear & the Racetech springs upfront on my ST1100A2. I did all that @ about 35K miles. Sent the shock in for rebuild at 76K on the shock after a ride on the AK Hiway. (Shock Sox next time!) Anyway, you might consider a rebuild of the OEM shock. I had to do this on Honda Hurricane and these folks did a fine job. http://www.le-suspension.com/shock-services/

OP
OP
RobbieAG

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
Last weekend I got to take the bike for a couple hundred mile ride through the twistys. It is a huge improvement in that environment. I did notice however, that on the open road (straight two lane and four lane), the ride seems more “jiggly†than before. I feel all the undulations in the road where before, it was a lot smoother. I'm hoping I can correct that with a rebound adjustment. I'm not sure if I need to increase or decrease it, but I'm thinking increasing it might help. Am I on the right track? Any thoughts appreciated.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
I'm not sure if I need to increase or decrease it, but I'm thinking increasing it might help. Am I on the right track? Any thoughts appreciated.
Start with this video that explains what "suspension packing" is.

What works for me, is starting with the setting slightly on the "packing " side and go ride on a "jiggly" road" The tail then feels like it is slowly sinking as you keep hitting more bumps. Then I keep decreasing the dampening until the tail feels like it is staying level over the bumps.

If you overshoot the ideal setting, you'll start feeling the bike "pogo sticking" as described in the video and will have to screw the adjustment back in.

Make sure the tire is at your preferred pressure when doing the adjustment and ride long enough for the tire to heat up before adjusting, as the tire pressure/temperature also alters the response of the suspension.

Now if you get to a good rebound adjustment and the suspension still feels "jiggly", you may have to double check your preload adjustment.

OP
OP
RobbieAG

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
I had the bike out this morning. I tried +1 on the rebound and then -1. It is set at the factory to 3 out of 5. It felt better on 2 as far as the jiggly feeling on open road, so I'll keep it there for now. I'll keep the tool handy so I can bump it back up when I plan to do more aggressive riding in the twisties.

Top Bottom