Throttle cable slack

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
On the good advice of the folks here I took the slack out of my throttle cable.
Seems a big difference in immediacy and control of the throttle.
I also tightened down the housing for the throttle so that it didn't move when I turned the throttle. That ought to make a difference too. [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
So my lady and went for a short spin this afternoon.
Taking the slack out of the throttle cables made a HUGE ride-ability difference. The throttle no longer feels like a switch and more like a rheostat which dials up the grin factor.

I should note that I added few ounces of Seafoam to the tank earlier this week. It also seems to be cleaning something out as my in-town mileage seems to have gone up. Prior to this I never saw more than 10-12 kms/litre on the instantaneous display. Today I saw 23kms/litre while two-up on a flat stretch @ about 90 Kmh.

That's going in the right direction!

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
On the good advice of the folks here I took the slack out of my throttle cable.
Seems a big difference in immediacy and control of the throttle.
I also tightened down the housing for the throttle so that it didn't move when I turned the throttle. That ought to make a difference too. [emoji849]

You may want to take a look at your throttle housing again :rolleyes:
There is a small locating pin drilled into the handlebars that a pin in the housing must sit in to be fitted correctly, if your housing was moving, it was/is not mounted correctly, and should be checked.
Tightening the housing in the wrong position may damage wires within the housing.
Loosen the screws and move the housing around until it clicks into place in the hole.
Igofar

Bike
ST 1300 Honda
You should always have slack in the throttle cables... what happens when you turn the bars full lock ?

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
You should have a slight amount of slack when the front wheel is in the straight ahead position as long as the rpm doesn't increase when you turn the bars full lock in either direction. Sounds like you have everything going the right way.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Assassin said:
what happens when you turn the bars full lock ?
Nothing. That's one of the things you always check when doing any work in that area and when adding a riser.

Don B said:
You should have a slight amount of slack when the front wheel is in the straight ahead position
I did that with a single throttle cable but never with all my bikes that had dual cable throttle cables. It's never been a problem. Maybe if I had a nervous tick in my gun hand? But as long as the outer throttle cables have sufficient slack and aren't impinged when turning lock-to-lock the inner cables shouldn't be affected. I will say that having .000125" of slack would be a constant reminder that the pull cable isn't pulling at zero throttle input should you need that reassurance.

Top Bottom