Leak and gas gauge

Well I have had my 99 st1100 since June and here is what I've noticed-something seems to be leaking from the left side of the engine-when I wipe underneath with a cloth there is a dark blue-greenish fluid on the rag. Not a lot but it is noticeable. Also my fuel gauge is not working-needle shows full all the time. Starts and shifts smooth and runs steady-does anyone have any suggestions about what needs to be checked and is the gauge fixable-it has 29000 miles and I assume they are original-thanks for any advice.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
-when I wipe underneath with a cloth there is a dark blue-greenish fluid on the rag. Not a lot but it is noticeable.
probably the beginning of a coolant leak under the carbs. This is a common long-term service item on the 1100. Good idea to get in there and replace everything and you'll be good for another 15 years or so. If you plan on doing the work yourself we can give you a parts list and advice on what needs to be done.

BTW, if you ignore this problem one of your hoses under the carbs could rupture while riding and dump all your coolant in a very short time and leave you stranded.

possible that the coolant leak (if it truly is leaking) has corroded the fuel level switch connector...I'd suggest you open up the side panel that covers the left side to expose the red fuel level connector, and pull it apart and clean if necessary, and assess. Often it's just a case of the connector has worked it's self loose and just needs to be reconnected. and, of course while it's off take a look ( as best you can) for signs of a coolant leak.

Last edited:
Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
-any advice on the fuel gauge
lower resistance (at the sensor) makes the gauge read higher.

The connector would be the first thing to check, since its either connected or not, and check for corrosion at the connector.

Next step would be to measure the resistance of the sensor (at the connector) and check the overall condition of the wiring from the tank for problems. I think its 10 ohms full and 90 ohms empty.

I've never had to troubleshoot the fuel gauge, but I think there are others here who have and can give additional advice.

Last edited:
Top Bottom