Stability and buffeting

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yep, but not too worry, in two more years you will have the opportunity to re-fill it again.

They lose th eoil over time, you first lose a turn or two to air, then a little more, and a little more...
Not necessarily, see post 11.

Byron

STOC #
Crush washers? Nobody's mentioned crush washers yet!
On most, if not all, banjo fittings on hydraulic systems there is a crush washer between the bolt head and banjo fitting and one between the fitting and whatever it is attached to. Most would recommend replacing with new washers but I've had good luck with simply flipping them 180 degrees and reusing them.

rogo

Site Supporter
Bike
'05 ST1300
2024 Miles
Yikes! I need to check my preloaded this weekend. My 05 might have some factory oil in it.

Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
Think I am getting the general picture on how to refill the preload adjuster reservoir but will still probably end up with oily hands and skinned knuckles when I attempt it at the weekend. One thing is still confusing me though and that's how to purge the air that will be in the line when it's reassembled. I understand the principle of winding in a lttle preload and then slackening the banjo to let the air out but there's no means of adding more fluid to take up the space left by the air as you can't refill the reservoir from the top. This means presumably that you will lose the effectiveness of the first few turns of the adjuster?
Here are some articles on "How to replace the Preload Adjuster fluid":
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?97117-Pre-Load-Fluid-Replacement-Follow-Up&highlight=preload+ajuster+fluid+replacement

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/content.php?269-ST1300-Pre-load-Fluid-Replacement
(see post #7)

Crush washers? Nobody's mentioned crush washers yet!
8mm copper washer. :)

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
Think I am getting the general picture on how to refill the preload adjuster reservoir but will still probably end up with oily hands and skinned knuckles when I attempt it at the weekend. One thing is still confusing me though and that's how to purge the air that will be in the line when it's reassembled. I understand the principle of winding in a lttle preload and then slackening the banjo to let the air out but there's no means of adding more fluid to take up the space left by the air as you can't refill the reservoir from the top. This means presumably that you will lose the effectiveness of the first few turns of the adjuster?
This really isn't that difficult of a task once you have done it for the first time.

When you disconnect the hose make sure it stays higher than the shock so that no fluid runs out of the hose. Fill the adjuster per the instruction linked to in prior post.
When bleeding the air out simply hold the adjustment unit higher than the shock, turn the knob in til resistance is felt then a 1/8 turn more. Hold adjuster unit with crescent wrench on the flats and loosen bolt that connects the hose. The fluid lose is minimal and any air left won't be noticeable.

The unit is designed so that there is always a little slack before resistance is felt. This is so the c-clip can be removed to take the unit completely apart. That is another story though.

If you can change plugs, then you can do this.

Sent using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wolfheze
Have refilled the preload adjuster or rather topped it up as it was far from empty. Having had a proper look with the side panels off the I could see the adjuster was working to some degree. Found that the adjuster was starting to have some resistance after 10 turns and by winding up to maximum resulted in around 5mm of preload on the spring. After refilling the reservoir resistance was felt within 1 click and the amount of preload was doubled to 10mm. After winding up the preload to 25 clicks,making adjustments to the rebound and checking tyre pressures it was time for a test ride. The results were good. I found the stability had improved considerably and the bike felt planted until into 3 figures when it started to feel slightly loose. I then tried it again without the top box, this time there was no weave right up to somewhere near the bikes top speed. I then took 5 clicks off the preload as I felt it was slightly too firm but this did result in a slight weave setting in particularly in dirty air but nothing like before. From now on the top box will stay off unless it's really needed. The bike now turns in nicely and holds a line much better than before and dosent wallow at all through fast sweepers Certainly feels more nimble and fun to ride. Have to say thanks for the advice and the links , the job itself was fairly straightforward apart from having the wrong crush washers (have reused the old ones). I did wonder how someone had managed to squeeze the adjuster complete with knob between the shock and the battery box. Damn sure I couldn't.

Last edited:
Top Bottom