Laminar Lip success at last!

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
The standard ST 1300 screen I found noisy with the jet of air off the top of the screen meeting my helmet right at visor level.
I had success with lips on my previous two bikes so a new Laminar Lip was my starting point for the ST.

I have a theory, imagined, that lips (if ideally located) spread/mix/distribute, and 'soften' the jet of air streaming of the screen top, thereby making it quieter and not so intense.

I started with the Lip crest level with the top of the std screen - no good and made no difference.

Round 2: With the Lip about 1" higher (vertically) than the std screen - this was also not effective. I then rested the Lip for a month (removed). What to do?

Last attempt: One more try. (It worked so well on my FJR!) Lip top edge set 2" higher (vertically) than the std screen.....Success!.

Main testing was at the low std screen setting (screen not electrically raised). An excellent result. On the motorway test with raising of the whole screen a range of different, moderate sounds and 'breezes' can be found - very satisfying. I was about to order a plain touring screen and permanently retire the L Lip but will now stick with it.

The Lip does not improve the look of the streamlined ST, that is for sure but as a touring comfort consideration, it works very well and I will tolerate the visual impact (compromise needed).

The L Lip instructions do say a bit of trial and error is required and that is certainly so.

Cheers, D

Trapperdog

R.I.P. - 2022/10/14
Rest In Peace
Bike
09 ST1300 PA
Yes, pics would be great. Although I don't feel much of a need for one on th ST, I have one on a Suzuki and love it.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I built a homemade version of the "Lip", and it works VERY well. Took a bit of fiddling, to find that sweet spot,. but it quiets things down a LOT. I built one, which is quite hideous looking, just for a "proof of concept", but, as things go, it's been on the bike for years now. Sooner or later, I'll make a nice looking one.

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
One of the first things I ordered for my ST was a Laminar Lip. The channel of air running under the lip between the lip and the screen is important to disipate the air flow energy. The lip needs to be high enough that it can pull a vacuum behind it. I have mine 2 or 3 inches higher than the stock shield and love it.

Bike
ST1300
I ordered one today. My buddy has one on his ST1300 and swears by it. I really don't like looking through a screen. I don't care for the noise I get when the screen is down. Hopefully this is just what I need.

Jimbo

OP
OP
Duporth

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
Sorry for images delay. I am getting invalid file messages.

I am determined!

Stand by.

OP
OP
Duporth

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
Thanks for interest in my post. I can post more images if helpful.

btw; does anyone know why I get a thumbnail following my main image. I had to load straight from my laptop as the BB Code from IMGUR would not load to this forum. The Forum site indicated the BB Code file was invalid (?)

Cheers, D

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
btw; does anyone know why I get a thumbnail following my main image.
I think that has something to do with the image being large (1526x1526). Sometimes I get the thumbnail instead along with the pic and sometimes I get just the thumbnail. I count myself lucky just to get it right-side up.

That lip looks nice. A head-on pic and one from the rider's seat would be appreciated.

OP
OP
Duporth

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
I did try very hard to insert some more pics. However I receive an invalid file message.

I will stay on the case, but for now no pics I'm sorry.

D

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
I did try very hard to insert some more pics. However I receive an invalid file message.
There is a limit on the file size. On the PC, if you 'Go Advanced', scroll down under the text edit box there are 'Additional Options'. Click 'Manage Attachments' - you get a pop up window that allows 5 images to be uploaded. Scroll down the pop up window and it gives the maximum size for each type of file that can be uploaded. There may be something similar on whatever machine you are using.

The maximum size for a jpg is 2000 x 2000 pixels height and width AND 146.5 Kb (In fact it is the same limit for all image files, bmp, gif, jpg, jpe, jpeg and png).

Exceeding these limits may cause the issue you are having.

The only way I have been able to get the large images into a post is to put the image in one of my albums, and then obtain the BB code from there. The BB code gets pasted into the body of the text. No thumbnail appears. There may be an easier way, but I have yet to find it.

The thumbnail appears if you insert an image using the icon, or using the Manage Attachments.
Once an image has been attached, you can use the paper clip to select an attached image to place it into the body of the text if you wish.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Duporth

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
This is a horizontal view from the riders seat. I actually (at 5'11") look higher than this but the bottom edge of the L Lip presents lower than the crest of the std screen. I think this is important.

Attachments

Top Bottom