Brakes dragging.

Bike
ST1300
Purchased a used 2007 ST1300A last summer with 38,000 miles. Noticed a noise several weeks ago, upon inspection the breaks are dragging, both front and rear. I'm guessing that they need to be rebuilt and the fluid replaced? I've read several threads here and it seems to be a common problem. Anything to look out for? Preferences on parts? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I'd start with replacing the fluid and doing a good bleed... sometimes it takes a couple tries as it's a bit involved, but doable. If that doesn't work, it might be the SMC - secondary master cylinder on the front/left caliper that is sticking.. you can try pushing it up and seeing if it retracts or sticks, not a lot of movement.

I'm in Carrollton so depending on the timing I could come by and help out.

OP
OP
Chef Jim
Bike
ST1300
I'll start with that. Is there any special tools needed to bleed the breaks? Help would be appreciated as I'm not very mechanical inclined.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Just be sure to follow the bleed procedure.

I also find when using the vacuum pump method, manually activating the brakes a few times, after using the vacuum, helps, especially when it comes to the rear calipers!

Bike
'06 ST1300A
Preferences on parts? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Yes, stick with OEM parts.

Here's a sketch of the Honda DCBS brake system as used on the ST1300, with a brief description of the operation of the many components that may be useful.

The sketch can be downloaded and viewed with any PDF viewer, the clarity will be much greater than that of the link.

OP
OP
Chef Jim
Bike
ST1300
An update. The breaks were fine. When I had new tires installed the dealer was installed incorrectly. A washer was installed between the caliper mount and wheel instead of outside the swingarm.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
Uh-oh,,, blood pressure rising,,,, cause a dealership did the same thing to me 3 seasons back. Truth is most dealer shop use their rookies to do tires,, and they can not remember how they took them apart. They don't have the experience to lay parts out in order of removal. I found my CB1000c's caliper spacer over inside the final drive. And the tire was rubbing on the swing arm !! That caused a bit of drag,,,, Cat'

ps: I R&R my own wheels now

An update. The breaks were fine. When I had new tires installed the dealer was installed incorrectly. A washer was installed between the caliper mount and wheel instead of outside the swingarm.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
+2,,, and I also stand there and watch them do it now. They have all the right equipment,,, including a dynamic balancer. I used to add a list to the work order,, specifying tire dot's to valve stem orientation,, and Bel-Ray on the drive splines,, etc,,, but that was generally ignored,, cause,,, "it's just a tire change",,, duh,,,, "we do it all the time",,, ummm,,, "it will be good enough",,,,, okay,,, time for another bp tablet,,,, Cat'

+1. I pull the wheels and then let a shop put on tires.

Top Bottom