New to me!

Bike
2010 ST1300
I should mention that iPads and most any tablet that's WiFi only won't have GPS built-in. That's only include with tablets that have a cellular radio.
In your first post, you said you had an iPad mini in an x-grip. I was not aware of iPads having a GPS chip (and according to your post quoted, they don't). Every GPS that I've ever seen (certainly not all of them) shows the user as a moving icon on a map, and if you are using an iPad as a GPS, it can only show movement as long as it has cell coverage and can triangulate your location. When coverage is not available, then your iPad mini is essentially nothing more than DeLorme's Street Atlas USA - a huge map database but without an icon showing your location (unless you have an optional GPS).

So, using said iPad as a GPS without cell coverage would not really be using it as a GPS - but as a static database - until coverage resumed.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
So, using said iPad as a GPS without cell coverage would not really be using it as a GPS - but as a static database - until coverage resumed.
Do the GPS devices that you are familiar with have cell coverage? Maybe some do but all I've seen do not and don't require cellular access to function. Yet they can still function as a GPS device. How is this possible without cell coverage?

I mentioned not all iPads and other tablets have GPS. Apparently that distracted you and somehow came to the erroneous conclusion that I had a WiFi only iPad and claimed it was a GPS device. Or you somehow switched gears and turned this into a discussion about a device that I do not have and was not talking about. Your initial post on my mention of my iPad implies you don't know that iPad are available with LTE and have real actual GPS chips.

and according to your post quoted, they don't
You misreading or mischaracterizing my post. Again iPads and tablets that are WiFi only do not have GPS chips. If you buy an iPad with LTE it has GPS.

SMSW said:
That 'said' was never part of the discussion. Your original post on the subject made an erroneous assumption about my iPad needing cell coverage and for whatever reason you subsequently shifted the aforementioned gears to devices I don't have. But an iPad with GPS doesn't need cell coverage if it has sufficient mapping data for online use.

Now I don't mean to throw you another curve but iPhones and iPads with LTE (mine) do use cellular for what's called A-GPS (and Apple adds WiFi) which the majority of dedicated GPS units do not. It's only for first-to-lock so not a big deal for most people.

This has turned into a much bigger thread hijack than it should have been so apologies to Rich.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Amazing how much different the bikes feels and rides with different handlebars and a higher seat...
You New to You is a beauty. Congratulations! Raising the bars made a huge different for me too. Not just in handling but in long term comfort and probably more comfort than handling for me. It was amazing how much better I felt after a days riding.

OP
OP
forgitaboutut
Bike
GL1800 2015
This has turned into a much bigger thread hijack than it should have been so apologies to Rich.
lol no problem! I am enjoying the reading!
Thanks again everybody for the compliments!
It's going to be a loooong winter :(

Top Bottom