New to me!

Bike
GL1800 2015
First off, I want to thank everybody at SwimSToc who tried to help me out!! :bow1:
:bow1::bow1::bow1: George!!!:bow1::bow1::bow1:
Get me an address where tires can can be sent! come on man!! I owe you at LEAST that much! I can't tell how thankful I am for saving the day!!

Ins. company pd out in 3 weeks! and a fair settlement! So Kudos to Allstate as well!

Rode her 1,800 miles home from NC. Took the looong way home! Ran through Danial boone in Ky,and then over to Mark Twain in Mo...(STILL my favorite riding place!)
(sorry Glen, woulda stopped for a visit, but I was pressed for time and had to get back for work)
So here She is...came WELL farkled!! That seat is like$1,800!
9046 Miles
New Dunlop* Tires with less than 200 miles on them
HeliBars - adjustable handlebars, a huge comfort upgrade
Completely LED - front, rears, headlights, everything converted
Ultimate Mid Rider Heated Seat with custom red stitching to match bike paint
Rear spoiler + LED break light
Bluetoothed : Sena Free Wire for blue tooth headsets (easily converted back to wired)
Bushtech pin hitch + light connector
Madstad Windshield
CB Radio with Single Antenna on trunk
Descretely wired on left side cover for plug-in heated gear, battery tender, etc as shown (coaxial plug)
Rivco Hwy Pegs
(and he forgot to mention LED fog lights and Belly pan)
full carpet and bag liner set...

OP
OP
forgitaboutut
Bike
GL1800 2015
It's an amazon Fire tablet
Just used for MP3 player...works great! With the media player software (I use VLC) you can get the track playing to take up the entire screen, and just swipe the screen anywhere to change tracks

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
That right there is one pretty bike..!!! Congrats..!!!!!

ToddC

tjhiggin

R.I.P. - 2022/06/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
2004 ST1300A
Great looking bike, Rich. Glad everything worked out for you.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Grizzly said:
good lord is that an iPad mounted on the handlebars? I gotta know, what is that for?
I've got an iPad Mini in an X-Grip that I've tested on my Helibar riser. No long trips yet but using as a GPS is great! If I could borrow a compatible grip of some nature for my Air 2 I'd give it a try. It would probably never go on a trip with me but I'd like to see Maps on it will riding even just once.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I've got an iPad Mini in an X-Grip that I've tested on my Helibar riser. No long trips yet but using as a GPS is great!
I assume it uses cell coverage and Maps to give you your location? If this is so, depending on your carrier, you might lose coverage in rural areas. What have you experienced?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
If this is so, depending on your carrier, you might lose coverage in rural areas
Does your Garmin/TomTom/Magellan have a cellular connection? I've said all this before and this is not my first GPS rodeo. Maybe you'd like to bookmark this.

First you don't always need cellular to use GPS. You can download your route on WiFi and it will work with the GPS satellites without needing a cellular connection.

Apple Maps uses vector images so the iEcosystem is pretty efficient in downloading data. I use it exclusively in populated areas. Besides being efficient it has a great looking imagery.

Without cellular at any place WiFi access you could 'top off' your map as you move along your route. If you veer too far from the route you'll not have data so you'll be in uncharted territory. But you'll have offline capability with what's been downloaded.

Second there are many map apps that will download all the data you need before your trip so you don't need to update during your ride. That's called offline use. I use Navigon (by Garmin). It lets you download any and/or all states in advance so you never need cellular or WiFi access. The base app needs about 225MB and CA uses about 125MB and TX about 123. It has all the bells and whistles of any dedicated GPS software.

This is a GPS unit on a phone. What else do you need to know about GPS?

Bike
2006 ST1300
This is a GPS unit on a phone. What else do you need to know about GPS?
So...let me get this straight....your phone is hooked up to a satellite antenna to let it receive info from satellites? OR..does the phone have the built in ability to receive satellite signals? I was not aware of this feature. I figured that phones used cell towers and triangulation to figure their positions.

Inquiring minds wanna know!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Most smartphones have an actual/real GPS receiver built-in and use the same GPS satellites that a nüvi and other dedicated GPS units use.

In addition iPhone (and maybe other brands) use known WiFi and cell towers for quicker location rendering while acquiring satellites fixes (time to first fix). With sufficient map data on the phone cellular connectivity isn't needed.

I should mention that iPads and most any tablet that's WiFi only won't have GPS built-in. That's only include with tablets that have a cellular radio.

tjhiggin

R.I.P. - 2022/06/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
2004 ST1300A
So...let me get this straight....your phone is hooked up to a satellite antenna to let it receive info from satellites? OR..does the phone have the built in ability to receive satellite signals? I was not aware of this feature. I figured that phones used cell towers and triangulation to figure their positions.
Your phone has a GPS chip in it, very similar to the chip in your standalone GPS unit. Your phone can thus receive the signals from the GPS satellites and compute your location on the earth. It can do this without a cell or wifi connection. So you can always know the GPS coordinates of your location, no matter where you are.

However, without the cell or wifi connection, you won't have access to the map or image data at your location, unless you've downloaded that data in advance.

OP
OP
forgitaboutut
Bike
GL1800 2015
Thanks for the compliments! Amazing how much different the bikes feels and rides with different handlebars and a higher seat...

Top Bottom