Wiring from horn PB to horn

OP
OP
Don B
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
This is my plan if I ever get round to it. I do have the NO PB. :rofl1:
Why not do what I did? All you need to do is remove the RH side cover, add a couple of wires from the remote control (the hot wire fused) and connect the fused wire to the switched terminal that goes to the starter, ground the other wire and your in like Flint. You might be able to do it like UP and solder the wires directly to the switch contacts after determining which wire to solder to which contact, or do it like me and connect them to the clips with the contacts for the original battery and using a tie wrap to hold the PB depressed. Obviously, UP has the best solution if you have the skill and dexterity to do what he did in close quarters. I'm not sure if I could do that with confidence, I would have to see it first.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Don B said:
The starter doesn't draw much current if it has no load on it
If the engine is running does the starter even turn? I didn't think it did. If memory serves I think it did on some of my older Hondas but didn't engage. It just made some spinning/springy sound.

Me myself I like the idea of a discrete circuit and push button. Easy enough and no relay required (either way of course). The horn setup though easy enough would annoy me. The starter modus is creative and innocuous. But the PB is more my style.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
What I did was solder a wire across the switch terminals (which is pretty easy), then solder lead wires to the battery terminals while I had my soldering iron out. Normally, one screw and the unit comes apart so you can get to the circuit board.

OP
OP
Don B
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
If the engine is running does the starter even turn? I didn't think it did. If memory serves I think it did on some of my older Hondas but didn't engage. It just made some spinning/springy sound.

Me myself I like the idea of a discrete circuit and push button. Easy enough and no relay required (either way of course). The horn setup though easy enough would annoy me. The starter modus is creative and innocuous. But the PB is more my style.
I think you may have misread one of my previous replies. The starter does spin when it's running if the bike is in neutral or the clutch is disengaged (clutch lever pulled). No additional relay is required, I just tapped into the existing starter relay. Refer to my post with the attached photo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom