inner cowling removed,but feel hot than before.

Bike
2014 ST1300a
inner cowling removed.jpg
remove inner cowling today,after ride 20 minutes,feel hot than before. hot wind come between tank and windscreen.
I am 1.83 meter height, before remove inner cowling, just feel tank and frame is too hot to touch,other place are all OK.

Asian do not remove inner cowling.

Last edited:
Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
The air which flows up past the triple tree is simply at the outside air temperature, while the bike is moving. That would be the case, whether the inner cowls were installed or not installed. For the tank and frame to completely heat to that degree in only 20 minutes,, one would have to wonder if there was nearly no gas in the upper tank and the bike was stuck in stop/go traffic (or just on the stand) ?? Full heat saturation on my bike takes an hour of hard running, at 120kph or more,, on a hot day,,, with not much gas in the upper. By all means,, if you find your bike runs cooler with your inner cowl installed,, take a few minutes and put them back in. Enjoy your 2014,, Cat'

Bike
2006 ST1300
I DO find that my 2006, despite removing the inner cowls, does get warm in traffic. If moving slowly, it can get uncomfortably hot in a few minutes. The ST is just a warm bike! I rode 200 miles last Sunday, though, in 70* F temps , and it was comfy all the time, even in traffic .

OP
OP
robinyu
Bike
2014 ST1300a
The air which flows up past the triple tree is simply at the outside air temperature, while the bike is moving. That would be the case, whether the inner cowls were installed or not installed. For the tank and frame to completely heat to that degree in only 20 minutes,, one would have to wonder if there was nearly no gas in the upper tank and the bike was stuck in stop/go traffic (or just on the stand) ?? Full heat saturation on my bike takes an hour of hard running, at 120kph or more,, on a hot day,,, with not much gas in the upper. By all means,, if you find your bike runs cooler with your inner cowl installed,, take a few minutes and put them back in. Enjoy your 2014,, Cat'
Yes,when I feel the hot air, was stuck in stop/go traffic, with fan work.
gas is almost full, no more than 30 miles after fill.
before remove inner cowling, I did not feel so much hot air even in stop/go traffic.
So,I think I'd better put them back.

OP
OP
robinyu
Bike
2014 ST1300a
I DO find that my 2006, despite removing the inner cowls, does get warm in traffic. If moving slowly, it can get uncomfortably hot in a few minutes. The ST is just a warm bike! I rode 200 miles last Sunday, though, in 70* F temps , and it was comfy all the time, even in traffic .
I did not ride in hot days(even daytime) yet. tomorrow I would ride in daytime, will find out if mine ST hot or not so much hot.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
I thought that one of the jobs of the inner cowl was to channel the air into the radiator. I don't know, but I would guess that removing the inner cowl would allow some of that cold air to go straight past the radiator and exit through the side vents.

OP
OP
robinyu
Bike
2014 ST1300a
inner cowling removed.jpgif remove the inner cowling, hot air blow toward my face(see the picture) when fan is work.
put them back, ride 10 hours,from 8 am to 5 pm, 33 degree(92F) today, it is ok, tank frame and seat are hot, tank very much hot when almost empty.when fan work, I feel nothing but the noise.

Last edited:
Bike
2008 Goldwing GL1800
Is Bejing still 92F in October? We are visiting Bejing in a couple of weeks. We are bringing sweaters, may be we should pack a pair of shorts too.
I cut large holes in my inner cowls to allow cool air to flow through. Having the inner cowl installed seems to keep the panels more secure. That didn't help cooling the gas tank. That just cooled the glove boxes. My tank used to get so hot, you could see the gas boil! No kidding. I insulated the frame area all around the air box to prevent heated air from blowing into the space below the gas tank. That solved my heat issue.
Kenny

OP
OP
robinyu
Bike
2014 ST1300a
Is Bejing still 92F in October? We are visiting Bejing in a couple of weeks. We are bringing sweaters, may be we should pack a pair of shorts too.
I cut large holes in my inner cowls to allow cool air to flow through. Having the inner cowl installed seems to keep the panels more secure. That didn't help cooling the gas tank. That just cooled the glove boxes. My tank used to get so hot, you could see the gas boil! No kidding. I insulated the frame area all around the air box to prevent heated air from blowing into the space below the gas tank. That solved my heat issue.
Kenny

I am living in Guangzhou now, 92F in October. Beijing is much cooler, no need to pack shorts.

my tank and frame also too hot to touch, but why touch them? keep distance with the tank and frame, I have no heat issue.
do you feel the hot air my picture show? especially when fan is work. maybe I should not just wear a t-shirt when riding?

Last edited:
Bike
2008 Goldwing GL1800
There is a colum of hot air rising from the triple tree openning, when waiting at the light. Once the bike is moving, it seems to disappear. I just lean back a little to avoid the hot air when I stop.

Bike
2004 Honda ST1300ABS
STOC #
When I got mine, it had a mat of heat resistant sheeting under the airbox with cutout for the throttle bodies, a nd the 2 hoses ths t run into the underside of the air box. The may was held by hear resistant tape to the frame thast the tank sits on. It reduces the tank hear as well as the hot air that would come from the the sides and back of the tank. .at least for me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Bike
2008 Goldwing GL1800
When I got mine, it had a mat of heat resistant sheeting under the airbox with cutout for the throttle bodies, a nd the 2 hoses ths t run into the underside of the air box. The may was held by hear resistant tape to the frame thast the tank sits on. It reduces the tank hear as well as the hot air that would come from the the sides and back of the tank. .at least for me.

I did the same to my ST. That is the only way to stop the heat issue.
Kenny

OP
OP
robinyu
Bike
2014 ST1300a

I will try this,thanks!

st1300doug

I thought that one of the jobs of the inner cowl was to channel the air into the radiator. I don't know, but I would guess that removing the inner cowl would allow some of that cold air to go straight past the radiator and exit through the side vents.
Yep- that's there...TO REDUCE heat. Removal is NOT the relief of heat. I also own a 2006...with no heat issues, unless over 95 degrees in slow or stopped traffic. ?????

Top Bottom