My ST1300 Whistles

Bike
2010 ST1300
John, I'm surprised that we can offer helpful suggestions you have not already tried.

First thing I would do would be to investigate moving air. Pull the air filter and see what the bike sounds like (in your driveway, not necessary to ride it since this whistling is engine and not road related). Perhaps leave the cover of the air box off, too. Check exhaust pipe clamps. These are the easy things. Next I'd check the exhaust headers - visually for evidence of exh gas leakage around that copper gasket at the cylinder head. Torque the bolts as well. I would not think the radiator fans move enough air to cause a whistle, but do you hear it at startup when the bike is cold and the bike is not running?

How about going over the bike with a mechanic's stethoscope with the fairing off and a friend twisting the throttle to give you different engine speeds. Does the bike whistle with the fairing off (I'd suspect no difference w/ or w/o tupperware)?

I'm going to be watching this thread. Interesting problem!

Chance

Taming the dragon!
Bike
'07 ST1300
It really sounds, from your description, like the Jetson’s whine for which it’s known. Perhaps I’m misunderstanding, but that is one of my favorite parts of my ST. :)

Last edited:

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
A little while back a friend who was riding with me commented - "Your bike whistles". Does it ?
Yeah, it does, especially when you're behind it. I think it's the gear whine combined with the sound of the exhaust leaving the pipes.

--Mark

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
My 06 sounds like what you describe. I've always thought it was just they way they are.

(thread hijack: aside from what I expect is model year, what is a ST1300A6 vs a (2013) ST1300A9?)

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
It really sounds, from your description, like the Jetson’s whine for which it’s known. Perhaps I’m misunderstanding, but that is one of my favorite parts of my ST. :)
When people ask me about it....I just tell them that is the Turbo....:rolleyes:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
You may have displaced (tipped over) the air filter just a bit when you put the cover back on. I would pull the cover and check this first.
Have you also checked to see if anything is lodged in the air snorkel? Like a dead bird perhaps?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
It really sounds, from your description, like the Jetson’s whine for which it’s known.
I think that's a little too distinctive for an experienced rider not to notice and deduce immediately. I noticed it the first time I started the bike and have never not noticed it though I am acclimated. But I'd never describe that as a 'whistle'. A whistle is what I hear when I open my visor just right or the kettle comes to a boil.

It's my least favorite thing about the ST although I always know when one's approaching.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Well the sound I hear as you slow for the roundabout starts at about 55.5s. And that's the standard Jetson sound that STs make. This is a whine and not what I'd call a whistle.

Is that the sound you're referring to? Or is it something I missed. It's very late at night for me well may my end of the day. I'll have a short lie down and listen again but at the moment I don't here anything but typical ST sound.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
jfheath said:
The sound is actually all the way through the video
Yes I've found that what you hear coming up through the helmet is not much like what others might hear. I agree with tj and DavidR8 that this is SOP for the ST.

Apropos of nothing the ST's sound has been described as similar to a sewing machine or a Jetson's vehicle. I once commented that it reminded me of a turbine spooling but over the years the image it conjures in my head is that of a powered reel lawn mower were there such a thing.

I've seen one other video of a bike that's ridden on the 'other' side of the road with a camera mounted on the STBD side. Before realizing what's what there were a few harrowing 'GEEEZE that was close' moments.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I was going to tell you that my bike doesn't have any such whine/whistle. Today, after my ride, I took my helmet off and ear plugs out and rode it around the block. Normal engine 'whine' rose in pitch and became that 'whistle' at 2500 rpm, more pronounced at 2750 and died away at 3000. Did not matter what gear it was in. Funny how I never noticed it with hat and plugs in. It is most definitely gear/engine whine and not air rushing through the intake manifold.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
- so I just closed the throttle. So no air / fuel going through the injectors, therefore no air going through the airbox - (I assume).

So that is more likely to suggest the gear whine. Yet I had checked that (a stethoscope is too posh for me, I use the screwdriver to the ear trick, remembering to put moly grease on the handle first of course).
Hopefully, nothing but gasoline ever goes from the fuel tank to and through the injectors on it's way to the intake ports and into the combustion chambers.

Closing the throttle while riding doesn't shut off the air through the airbox and throttle bodies, it just restricts the flow thus reducing the velocity and volume of air attempting to fill the cylinders on the intake stroke. As long as the crankshaft is turning, air is going through the airbox. When the engine is not under load, as when closing the throttle to slow down, it is basically an air pump - what exits the exhaust has to enter the engine through the airbox.

I have also used the screwdriver to the ear trick, but never put grease on the handle - what's the reason for that?

As for the bird in the intake snorkel, I can't say for sure but I would think that would affect more senses than just your auditory ones.

BTW, I think your ST sounds perfectly normal. As someone posted earlier, just think of it as turbo whine. That may make you feel more comfortable with the "whistle".

Last edited:
Top Bottom