New thermostat in hand

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Going to see if I can find the time to put it in this weekend.
I hope it makes a difference because at $53 it was expensive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Makes a difference how? Engine overheating - many reasons. Engine too cold - one reason, the thermostat stuck open.

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Poor fuel mileage.
No temperature issues per the gauge but I'm looking for something better than 22 mpg in the city.

Last edited:
Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
New thermostat will have no effect on fuel mileage. Those with knowledge of the 1300 FI system may offer better ideas.

Then again, maybe I'm wrong, after reading about injection systems and temperature sensitivity. DOHHH!

Last edited:
OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
It's well documented that the ST1300 thermostats are prone to freezing open which prevents the engine from reaching full operating temperature.
Because it's not at full operating temperature, the ECU enriches the mixture like a cold start situation killing fuel mileage.

Last edited:
Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
It’s well documented that the ST1300 thermostats are prone to freezing open which prevents the engine from reaching full operating temperature.
Because it’s not at full operating temperature, the ECU enriches the mixture like a cold start situation killing fuel mileage.

I amended my last post which concurs with your thought.

I love my simple carbureted 1100!

Bike
2004 ST1300
New thermostat will have no effect on fuel mileage. Those with knowledge of the 1300 FI system may offer better ideas.

Then again, maybe I'm wrong, after reading about injection systems and temperature sensitivity. DOHHH!
Yep, you were originally very wrong.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Poor fuel mileage.
No temperature issues per the gauge but I’m looking for something better than 28-29 mpg in the city.

If you're talking about a lot of 3rd and 4th gear riding in the city at slow/moderate speeds, don't expect any better mileage than what you're getting now, not likely to happen.

Bike
2010 ST1300
It's well documented that the ST1300 thermostats are prone to freezing open which prevents the engine from reaching full operating temperature.
Because it's not at full operating temperature, the ECU enriches the mixture like a cold start situation killing fuel mileage.
Yes, but aren't stat failures accompanied by a low temp or high temp on the temp gage? I thought this was a failsafe method of confirming that your t-stat has indeed failed.

Yep, you were originally very wrong.
Egad! now we have degrees of wrongness........:bow1:

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
If you're talking about a lot of 3rd and 4th gear riding in the city at slow/moderate speeds, don't expect any better mileage than what you're getting now, not likely to happen.
yeah, that variable has yet to be ruled out. We shall see....

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Yup
I'm very interested to see if it makes any difference.

At this point I'm getting 200 kms out of 18 litres. That works out to be 22 mpg.

Last edited:

STumped

Because I usually am . . . .
Bike
2012 BMW K1600GT
Yup
I’m very interested to see if it makes any difference.

At this point I’m getting 200 kms out of 18 litres. That works out to be 29 mpg.

Well, at least it's getting a little better. 29mpg is by no means "good" but at least it's going in the right direction. :)

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Yes, but aren't stat failures accompanied by a low temp or high temp on the temp gage? I thought this was a failsafe method of confirming that your t-stat has indeed failed.
That's definitely true however I'm beginning to understand that there's a degree of hysteresis in the temperature gauge which could create a situation where the gauge has three bars but the actual temperature is on the low end of the operating range.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I'm beginning to understand that there's a degree of hysteresis in the temperature gauge
The third bar lights up around 150 deg. F and the fourth bar lights up around 230 deg. F. That is a range of 80 degrees F in which you see the same three bars on your temperature gauge but you really do not know what the engine temperature is within that range. (Oh-no! I just opened us to another shot at the 1300 from Bush). If your engine is constantly running at the lower end of this range it certainly would negatively affect your MPG- whether it will affect it to the degree that you are seeing is another question. The only way to rule out the thermostat is to make sure that it is operating correctly or to replace it with one that is known to be good- I would bench-test the new one before I put it in. Bench-test the old one just for kicks and let us know what results you get so we'll know if this is a big influence on MPG.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A

Dang, that is robbery! even on the parts lists they are only about $31 dollars in the U.S.
They sure take advantage of you folks up North!

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
$53.00 CAD is about $42.00 USD so not as bad as it initially looks. We are a much smaller population so less volume = higher price. We also have much higher expenses in refrigeration costs than we used to have trying to keep our igloos and ice roads from the liquid state because of this damned global warming. The increased cost this brings to the merchants gets passed on to the consumer.:rolleyes:

Bike
2004 Honda ST1300ABS
STOC #

Does partzilla not ship to Canada? I paid under $30 for my thermostat and ended up getting odds and ends to add up to over $100 So I got free shipping(free shipping may only be for US shipments).

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk. Here is a screenshot of the parts list for you 05. .

Last edited:
Top Bottom