New thermostat in hand

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
riding in the rain on the ST is a dream!
Fortunately I've been able to avoid that. However I did spend two of our worst rain seasons riding my GL1000 to work and back. The rain was 'falling' horizontally' and visibility was near non-existant. Somewhat mild compared to what others experience but I didn't like it one bit. It had a Vetter Windjammer so that was a big help but still no joy.

I did have to ride my old CL77 (305 Scrambler) in the rain for a few days. The rainfall itself wasn't as bad as the later incident but I wasn't protected at all and the bike was much slower. :rofl1:

Bike
2010 st1300abs
So, when I got my 2010 ST1300 in April of this year with 42,000 miles on the clock, it was also getting pretty poor mileage. I think in the very low 30mpg range. I spoke with IgoFar about it and he recommended a t-stat change as well as what to look for on the old t-stat to verify if it was either sticking or opening/coloring properly. He said to look for signs of rubbing on the shaft ( streak of cleaner looking metal). If the streak is ther, the t-stat was binding and perhaps sticking partly open/closed and therefore not letting the engine operate at the right temp. Well, that is exactly what I found when I removed the old t-stat, and after I installed the new one, the mileage went up to mid 40's in the same riding conditions (ambient temperature, windshield position, highway/town driving mix, etc.). A few weeks later, I also did a TB synch/vacuum hose replacement/five way tee clean out which also helped increase mileage a little bit.
Windshield position also has a significant effect on mileage, at least on my bike. The bike gets about five mpg less with the shield all the way up as opposed to all the way down.

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I started pulling the Tupperware today but had to abandon the work due to another priority.
I need to do some research on pulling it off though as I'm stuck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
I started pulling the Tupperware today but had to abandon the work due to another priority.
I need to do some research on pulling it off though as I’m stuck.

Find and print the Tupperware work sheet....great tool. It should answer all your questions.

ToddC

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
Windshield position also has a significant effect on mileage, at least on my bike. The bike gets about five mpg less with the shield all the way up as opposed to all the way down.
I have been following this--will he ever mention what position his windshield is when he rides ?

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Problem solved. I was having trouble getting the tip over bar covers off.

Once that was sorted everything went smoothly.
Drained the radiator by siphoning out the coolant.

Currently the rad is sitting on my bench.
The inlet side is paint free.

Have the thermostat housing in sight!
Problem is I can only loosen the left hand bolt. The right side with the ground wire is frozen solid.
I have applied some Aero Croil penetrating oil doing my best to get some into the backside of it.

Last edited:
Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
This is the OP :)
I ride with the stock shield. 90% of the time it’s just slightly raised.

I don't know how high slightly raised is but in the summer I ride with mine all the way down and at @ 70 mph I get 51 mpg when the temperature is over 75 F. I know you are metric in Canada yet have the ability to convert to US standards. Changing the Thermostat will help your problem considerably from what I read--yours is hanging (sticking) open. When you fix that problem try riding with wind shield down and see how it works for gas mileage. Good luck---

Bike
2008 Goldwing GL1800
OP David, I went for my final ST ride today for the season. I have another bike I ride all year around. With the new TT fuel Regulator, I am getting 16.6km/L ( 39 Miles per US Gal.) That is as good as before the reg. upgrade. It was over 100 miles of a combination of city and rural back road. Most of the time in 2, and 3 gear. The bike rode like a dream, better than ever, the throttle was smooth and civilized . No wonder they call the ST a gentleman's bike. I kick myself for not installing the TT fuel reg sooner, I had it for 2 seasons.
I don't have any other suggestions for dealing with your poor gas mileage. Hope changing the thermostate will fix it. Keep us posted.
Kenny

Last edited:
OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I guess you have your Thanksgiving weekend project cutout for you.
Kenny
She's all back together again except for the Tupperware.
I love the fact that I've used so few tools to do the job: a 5 mm Allen wrench, a screwdriver, an 8 mm and 12 mm socket.

Getting the Tupperware off took longer than pulling the radiator and thermostat.

Bike
2008 Goldwing GL1800
Taking off the tupperware is tedious. I took all the panels off when I took my ST to the repair shop. Saved me a couple hundred doolars of labour.
I just thought of something. Sounds like you are going under the gas tank quite a bit, eg, 5 way T , Starter V sync. I would recommend ordering yourself an extra set of gas tank connection hose and clamps between the upper tank and the lower tank. The pre2008 ST1300 has a gas hose that is different diameter on each end. 2008 on, Honda made the hose same diameter on both ends. Since the hose has two diameters, it is hard to find an emergency substitute. Some ST owners have reported breakage of this hose. I keep an extra set just in case Honda back orders it.
Kenny

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
$53.00 CAD is about $42.00 USD so not as bad as it initially looks. We are a much smaller population so less volume = higher price. We also have much higher expenses in refrigeration costs than we used to have trying to keep our igloos and ice roads from the liquid state because of this damned global warming. The increased cost this brings to the merchants gets passed on to the consumer.:rolleyes:
LOL.....don't forget the rivers and lakes that we have to keep cold to skate on.... :)

Partzilla is an excellent option for OEM parts for us northern folk. I've ordered through them about 4 times now and never had any duty or brokerage fees added to the cost. Just the shotty exchange rate and shipping charges are extra. It was a cheaper option in the past but now I'm finding my dealership is coming around. I just priced a 5 way tee (vacuum) and 3 way tee (coolant part) and a fuel hose (gas tank) and it will be roughly the same total price through my local dealership.
Imagine that? I think I'll skate over or dog sled there tomorrow to buy them. :)

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Once that was sorted everything went smoothly.
Drained the radiator by siphoning out the coolant.
Since you removed the radiator after you drained it, what were you siphoning out the coolant from? Did you not remove the lower hose to drain it? That's the quickest and easiest way, you just need a large drain pan and lots of old newspaper on the garage floor under the radiator when you do it, since you're likely to spill a few ounces in the process of draining and removing it.

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I keep an extra set just in case Honda back orders it.
Good idea on the extra hose Kenny. That and the 3-way coolant connector seem like good items to have on hand.

Partzilla is an excellent option for OEM parts for us northern folk. I've ordered through them about 4 times now and never had any duty or brokerage fees added to the cost.
Wow! I would have thought for sure you be hit with duty Kevin. Perhaps it's because the parts are of US manufacture?

I'll investigate them as I want to get a full set of the plastic button things for the fairing. I noticed that some have tabs missing so I'd rather have a full set.

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I rarely get into third gear as speed limits are under 60 kmh.
If this is the case, and since the old thermostat that you removed was fully closed, indicating nothing was wrong with it to start with based on your previous observations, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the new T-stat won't improve what you perceive as "poor fuel economy".

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Since you removed the radiator after you drained it, what were you siphoning out the coolant from? Did you not remove the lower hose to drain it? That's the quickest and easiest way, you just need a large drain pan and lots of old newspaper on the garage floor under the radiator when you do it, since you're likely to spill a few ounces in the process of draining and removing it.
I drained it by siphoning out from the cap inlet. Total removed was about a liter. When I pulled the upper connection to the outlet hose a little more came out as I was moving the hose around. I then siphoned from the hose and pulled it off and needed only a shop rag to clean up the spillage.
No mess whatsoever.

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
If this is the case, and since the old thermostat that you removed was fully closed, indicating nothing was wrong with it to start with based on your previous observations, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the new T-stat won't improve what you perceive as "poor fuel economy".
I needed to do a coolant change in any event so it was only a bit more work to pull the rad and swap the thermostat.
I'm glad I changed it as the shiny part is more worn than the photos show. I have every reason to believe it would stick open at some point in the near future. If it does not fix the problem then I will go on to other potential solutions.

I'm very open to hearing what you think might be causing the problem.

My perception of "poor fuel economy" is not a feeling. It is based on empirical evidence from GPS measured distances and consistent fuel up levels. I suggest that 22 mpg qualifies as "poor fuel economy" as no other member has suggested that 22 mpg in the city is to be expected. Nor is it the within the range of fuel economy reported by the majority of owners on Fuelly.com.

For ST1300 ABS models:
"34 Honda ST1300 ABS have provided 507,000 miles of real world fuel economy & MPG data."

21 of those owners have logged mileage and fill-ups returning 36 mpg or more.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I took all the panels off when I took my ST to the repair shop. Saved me a couple hundred doolars of labour.
Congratulations on saving some ching! My ST buddy did the same thing for some water pump work— 'We charger flat rate'. Or more if they can get it. Bottom line is it didn't save him any money. I told him it probably saved him wear and tear on the Tup with no fittings lost or damaged or incorrectly located.

Top Bottom