Skip
    (Threadstarter)
    Bike
    '04 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Re: FI code 26

Bad news!
    Took the bike out for a test ride this morning and it was looking promising. Riding around at some times above 4k RPM as much as 5500 RPM and the FI light didn’t come on. Stopped and filled up with 93 octane and left to hit the interstate. Not even a mile after getting fuel but at 9.4 miles in while getting on it to merge in the light came on. Major bummer! What a disappointment. Same code 26.
    So my next thought was maybe, just maybe the disconnection of the battery didn’t reset the ECM. So I’m going to try the published method from the ST Wiki pages. My question is this. It says short the brown and green/orange wires on the diagnostic connector. Which one is that? The grey or the black one or does it matter which one? Both of those color wires are in both connectors. Figured I’d try that and then re-test ride before my swap/check/test with another ECM on Sunday.
    Last edited by skipcurt; 10-11-2017 at 12:16 PM.

"The less people you chill with, the less BS you deal with"
    The weather don't matter....let's ride!!
    STOC #3156
    IBA #55488

My Gallery

Not sure what you mean by "both connectors" as there's only one diagnostic connector. It's red and located to the right side under the passenger seat.

Bike
    1991 ST1100
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Blrfl View Post
    I recommend against soldering in automotive applications or anything else where there's vibration.

Solder bonds the strands in the wire together, which sounds like a good thing until you notice that the spot where the solder ends and the strands are free again becomes a stress point. It's better to have the strands free to move and be elastic as they need to.

--Mark
    Shrink tubing helps relieve the stress at this point.

Skip
    (Threadstarter)
    Bike
    '04 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by wjbertrand View Post
    Not sure what you mean by "both connectors" as there's only one diagnostic connector. It's red and located to the right side under the passenger seat.
    Gotcha! Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I saw what you referred to and confirmed in the service manual.

So I did that now too and took it out for a spin and unfortunately the dang light came back on again.

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by skipcurt View Post
    Gotcha! Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I saw what you referred to and confirmed in the service manual.

So I did that now too and took it out for a spin and unfortunately the dang light came back on again.
    I have heard that sometimes this knock sensor warning cannot be cleared from the ECM and a new ECM has to be fitted to solve it.

The ECM does not store a knock sensor error... when the key is turned off, it resets.
    Randy Magee

Bike
    03 st1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

I have same problem.F1 code 26 blinks.
    have not had time to deal with it.
    not sure I want to now.does not run bad or kill mileage.
    Does not come on at any specific time, sometimes after a few minutes----or a few hours.
    had a few days no F1 light.
    Maybe I'll wait to see what happens.
    Fergie

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by mageerc View Post
    The ECM does not store a knock sensor error... when the key is turned off, it resets.
    When I unplugged my knock sensors as a test for my misfiring problem the computer set an error code for both the left and right ones as soon as the engine reached around 4000 RPM. When I plugged the sensors back in the light went out, but the codes were still in the ECM before I cleared it.

Quote Originally Posted by wjbertrand View Post
    When I unplugged my knock sensors as a test for my misfiring problem the computer set an error code for both the left and right ones as soon as the engine reached around 4000 RPM. When I plugged the sensors back in the light went out, but the codes were still in the ECM before I cleared it.
    We need a Honda engineer to answer this... the ECM on the 03-07 bikes obviously have some defect with the reported number of failures and Mother Honda seems unconcerned about it...

Natural Rider Enhancement Blrfl's Avatar
    Bike
    Fast Blue One
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by mageerc View Post
    We need a Honda engineer to answer this... the ECM on the 03-07 bikes obviously have some defect with the reported number of failures and Mother Honda seems unconcerned about it...
    Those bikes are long out of warranty (as is every one put into service before 2014), there's a known way to repair it, the failure isn't a safety hazard or even what I'd call widespread and the part was superseded on later bikes. What should they be concerned about?

My long-held suspicion is that a component in the bit of analog circuitry that interfaces the sensors with the computer is failing. It could be a design defect or that Keihin got a bad batch of parts that ended up in the assembly process when the boards for this ECM were being made. The failure rate may not even be high enough to count as significant, but only Keihin and Honda know that and I doubt either would tell us.

What Jeff is describing is the expected behavior if the ignition was shut off before he reconnected the sensors.

--Mark
    Wizzzzzzzzzzzz What's a Blrfl? ... Shameless plugs: STWiki

11. The Following User Likes This Post:

+ New Posts
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast