FI code 26

737Captain

Heavy Equipment Operator
Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Well I broke down and bought a new ECM whil3 they are still on sale. Does anyone know if they come programmed so it’s just plug and play or will it need mapping.

CruSTy

My Perception is my reality.
Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
Well I broke down and bought a new ECM whil3 they are still on sale. Does anyone know if they come programmed so it’s just plug and play or will it need mapping.
It is plug and play, You may need to do the procedure to clear codes once it is connected. Before you start the engine Check that the FI light cycles on for a few seconds when the key is turned on. You should hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds as well. Once the engine starts the FI light should be off and stay off unless there is some other problem in the wiring or bad sensor. If the light stays go for a good test ride.

Last edited:
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Wow Skip! Your story has me worried. I too have an 04 with the FI 26 code but my bike is just shy of 30k miles. I really don't want to have to put a new ECM in this bike. I am still trying to get the front forks sorted out (but that is a different thread).

Gus1300

Site Supporter
Bike
04 1300A
I was getting the code (errata says the book is wrong and they're swapped for which means L/R) awhile back, but since my mouse fiasco (replaced the injection sub harness) and my fuel pump stoppage (shop replaced the pump) I haven't had any codes. But I do have two new knock sensors sitting on the shelf, because I wasn't sure if the light issue would still remain after both of those repairs...so far, so good! Haven't touched the ECM, so it may be that the problem is somewhere else...YMMV.

20 Sep 19 update - got the dreaded FI light on the way home this afternoon. So much for having solved the problem! I plan to ride tomorrow and am off Sun so the bike will likely sit until next weekend. First place I'm looking, if it continues, is below the airbox again...for a mouse house! Hopefully it was a one off event but I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited:
My buddy recently brought a 2005 ST1300 with 49,xxx miles. He drove the bike 100 miles home without any error code (rpm's 4k to 6k on the highway). Just the other night, the error code 26 surfaced while on a short ride. We replaced the right knock sensor, but the code was still there when we revved the bike to 4k+ rpm for a short period of time. We checked the connector going into the knock sensor and it looked fine. The bike apparently still drives great with no noticeable loss of power or MPG. We are thinking about replacing the ECM, but until then, can the bike still be ridden safely? We are planning on a 2 week cross country ride covering 5k miles in a few weeks.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
Yep, won't hurt a thing. The bike just runs a little rich is all - it goes into a fixed fuel mapping. At worst, you'll lose a few MPG.

Bike
97 ST1100 04 ST1300
STOC #
I had a similar issue with an 04 w/46K on it. I checked the connectors, and the parts of the harness I could get to and didn't see any issues.
After reading a rather extensive post here on the issue I replaced the ECM and haven't seen it since, and I've put about 6K on it.
Good Luck

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Go to Igofar Reviews and read post #524 before you start spending money on a new ECM.

Go to Igofar Reviews and read post #524 before you start spending money on a new ECM.
Take this shortcut:

Top Bottom