Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Compression Test & the Starter Motor

Bike
    1996 ST1100
    My Gallery

Re: Compression Test & the Starter Motor

Well, there you go! After 22 years of 1100 ownership and never having need to go looking for that connector, I learned another tidbit about the machine!

Quote Originally Posted by Bush View Post
    That might work, I guess, but isn't that connector buried underneath the air cleaner housing, making it more work to just do a simple compression test?
    why are you doing a compression test??? Is there a cylinder misfiring?? If is running good a compression test will tell you nothing. if one cylinder is 7 lbs lower than the others what does that mean? What are you going to do to correct the problem or is it a problem. A better indicator might be a running compression test. All this other bs about grounding coil wires and burning out modules is in theory only. I have done hundreds of compression tests and only be necessity unplugged coils. If you have fuel injection the fuel pump needs to be disabled, the fuel pumping into the cylinders can cause an inaccurate reading. If it has a dead cylinder then a compression test could help pin point the cause follower up by a leak down test. Now we use a pressure sensor for compression tests. It gives me a graph of cylinder pressures on each one of the four strokes. You can tell if the valve adjustment is an issue by comparing suction of each cylinder. So what is it you are trying to solve???

Bike
    1996 ST1100
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Al st1100 View Post
    why are you doing a compression test??? Is there a cylinder misfiring?? If is running good a compression test will tell you nothing. if one cylinder is 7 lbs lower than the others what does that mean? What are you going to do to correct the problem or is it a problem. A better indicator might be a running compression test. All this other bs about grounding coil wires and burning out modules is in theory only. I have done hundreds of compression tests and only be necessity unplugged coils. If you have fuel injection the fuel pump needs to be disabled, the fuel pumping into the cylinders can cause an inaccurate reading. If it has a dead cylinder then a compression test could help pin point the cause follower up by a leak down test. Now we use a pressure sensor for compression tests. It gives me a graph of cylinder pressures on each one of the four strokes. You can tell if the valve adjustment is an issue by comparing suction of each cylinder. So what is it you are trying to solve???
    I suggest you read the first post.

My point exactly, if he can't figure out how to crank over the bike all those compression numbers mean nothing

Bike
    2000 ST1100
    Tip Overs
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

I think it's a hoot that with all of the high mileage ST1100 we have in this group very few folks have actually done a
    compression test. Mother Honda must have done a very large number of thing correctly with they made these bikes!

2017 Miles

My Gallery

YIKES!!!! guess it's not a good time to ask questions glen. Shut up, nobody knows what they are doing. EVERY BODY SHUT UP!!!

7. The Following User Likes This Post:

Bike
    98 ABSII 2000 ABSII
    Tip Overs
    My SPOT
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by ST11Nut View Post
    The 3 pin connector is behind the left maintenance cover on the wiring harness that runs along the frame rail at the top end of the maintenance cover opening
    Sounds like you've been there.
    Where is this Maintenance cover and what does it look like? What needs to be removed to get to it?

Bike
    1996 ST1100
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Slydynbye View Post
    Where is this Maintenance cover
    That's the piece of tupperware (one on each side) that fits in the space where the engine's heads stick out. Held by two socket head bolts.

Bike
    1998 ST1100
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Slydynbye View Post
    Sounds like you've been there.
    Where is this Maintenance cover and what does it look like? What needs to be removed to get to it?
    I changed out the coils and plug wires about a month ago so I had to unplug that connector

Bike
    98 ABSII 2000 ABSII
    Tip Overs
    My SPOT
    My Gallery

OK found the connector, it's tucked up behind the left pocket. You can see it by looking in and up past the valve cover looking forward from the rear after removing the maintenance cover. I think that is probably the best and safest way to disable the ignition.

+ New Posts
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123