A short one... almost brought me to a state of road rage

Re: A short one... almost brought me to a state of raod rage.

Looked like a typical clueless/texting/stupid driver to me. I wouldn't think he was doing it on purpose from that video. Pissed? Sure. Rage? No.

STooRay

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300

Hmmm, you strike me as a very nice and polite guy :ang1:.

Some would just blast pass on either side, possibly stretching their middle finger high afterwards.
The driver would probably not know what he had done to deserve the greeting though...:cool:

Anyway, nice guys like you probably last longer...:bow1:

Stu

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010

Been there Jim. The actions of the driver were a little more extreme in my case. Also have had cars speed up to keep me from passing.

Generally I bide my time until there's a chance to pass and then I go down a cog or two and do blow by them. I don't do salutes of any nature.

I have on occasion crossed the double yellow when being blocked. Not a fan of it but if the coast is clear...

In your neck o' the woods are the two lanes called driving and passing (or the equivalent) in statute law? Here in CA I've seen a few SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT signs (fewer over the years) and TURNOUT AHEAD or PASSING LANE AHEAD or similar. We don't have the legal requirement of using the 'left' lane for passing only. There are impeding the flow of traffic and mountain driving laws.

I'll second that you are indeed a polite (and patient) man.

Last edited:

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS

Yes I would be annoyed.

However, to me, this driver looks like he/she is texting or otherwise distracted, and is not even seeing me. I would not think the driver is trying to block me or that the erratic behaviour is directed at me.

I would be very wary and consider this car is a potential danger. I became suspicious as the car, earlier on, tracks very close to and on the double yellow line. Asleep, under the influence?

I would therefore probably pull back and observe, and give this pest space until I can see a way to get around.

D

Last edited:

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #

Yes I would be annoyed.

However, to me, this driver looks like he/she is texting or otherwise distracted, and is not even seeing me. I would not think the driver is trying to block me or that the erratic behaviour is directed at me.

I would be very wary and consider this car is a potential danger. I became suspicious as the car, earlier on, tracks very close to and on the double yellow line. Asleep, under the influence?

I would therefore probably pull back and observe, and give this pest space until I can see a way to get around.

D
+1. And then, get around and get ahead, just as you did. There's nothing like a load of space to let the pressure subside. Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. In this case, stupidity in the form of being completely engrossed in something other than the business of driving, and therefore virtually unaware of any other vehicle. I see that all the time on the road, and on the multi-use recreational paths in my area. No reason to expect it to be different elsewhere.

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #

If that gave you road "road rage" I am thinking you haven't ridden much out of polite Canada, I would have passed him waaaayy back there. I am not even going to tell my examples of having to deal with SERIOUS nut jobs set on killing me. Its the advantage of riding a fast bike and having the skills to outrun them. That guy you passed was NICE.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #

Must be a matter of perspective. In DC that would barely merit a head shake.

Does seem more like recto-cranial inversion rather than malice.

--Mark

OP
OP
Jim C-G
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #

Maybe we Canadians do expect nicer, lol. This was a designated passing zone with signs posted "KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS". I have no qualms about passing on a double line if my line of sight tells me that I have a safe distance. That's one of the advantages of us being on a motorcycle and not 2 feet lower in a sports car. There were vehicles in the oncoming lane though. Maybe he was only an inattentive guy on his way to church on a Sunday morning at 8:30 am and checking the morning's scripture on his Ipad while driving. Maybe he was tired and zoned out from driving across the province overnight to also catch the ferry. It just felt a little too deliberate... maybe I was being over sensitive over my average speed to the ferry calculations. I wish you could edit titles to threads lol... instead of the typo of "raod rage", maybe I would retitle it as "Road Irritation". I have much worse happen to me in the past... including being chased by two drunk yahoos on country roads. I have certainly had people pull out without looking and have had people cut me off whether deliberately or through stupidity. I just haven't had the chance to video such an act before lol. It wasn't as if he had pulled a handgun out of his glove compartment to take pot shots at me to deter me from passing.

Bike
2007 ST 1300

Seems like a case of inattentive driving to me but I feel your pain . The most extreme thing I have experienced happened a few years ago before the " no hand held devices " laws were in effect here in NJ. I was behind a large German luxury sedan in morning commuter traffic on a four lane ( two each way) and the driver of the car was all over the road . Just as you did , I wanted to put some distance between us as soon as possible. When I finally got my chance I went around him on his left and I was incredulous when I glanced at the driver. He was steering with his left knee with a newspaper draped over the wheel , talking on his phone held in his right hand while shaving with an electric razor in his left . A_ _ hole !

Last edited:

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #

Seemed to have had a car deliberately block me from passing. Really pissed me off. Would it have pissed you off?
Not at all. Interesting behaviour that could be down to a lot of things. Often, in the UK we have a lane split like that on inclines - the outer lane is regarded as a passing lane to allow faster traffic to move past vehicles slowed down by the gradient. Many drivers do not understand this, and assume that if they are not slow, they have to stay out of the inside lane. Probably just ignorance on their part - and I don't mean that in a disparaging way, I mean that they don't know.

People pass a driving test, and then never bother to remind themselves or to take on board new information. Many people passed a basic maths test at some point in their lives, but they can no longer give an instant answer to the question 'what is 7 times 8'.

However, that is not to say that some people don't deliberately block overtaking. It is quite interesting, and would form an interesting psychology thesis: There are drivers who move over for you to pass; there are drivers who accelerate to close the gap that you will move into after your overtake; there are drivers who will move across to prevent you from overtaking in the first place; there are male and female drivers; there are solo drivers and drivers with front seat passengers. Choose a couple of these and you can deduce some revealing correlations. I won't hint at my own conclusions, but I reckon that Sigmund Freud would have had much to say on the topic.

We have a more worrying phenomenon over here too. 'Crash for Cash', where an accident is engineered by one or two cars in order to force an unsuspecting driver into a collision which is deemed to be their fault. IN the cities near where I live in West Yorkshire, we have the highest rate for this in the country. It makes me pretty wary, and I try to keep a cool head whatever is going on. One of these is to engineer a situation where the driver behind gets a little too close. A common trick is for the driver in front to annoy the driver behind by alternately accelerating and decelerating, so that the car behind feels the need to get past. The car behind sees the opportunity, gets in close and the lead driver slams on the brakes. The lead car has modified the brake lights so that they don't always come on.

Another trick is to trap a car waiting to emerge into the main road. The car approaching the junction on the main road flashes headlights - which is commonly thought of as an indication that the waiting car can pull out. But the car on the main road deliberately ploughs into the side of the emerging car.

It is all very worrying for a biker, and convinces me to keep the being annoyed feelings well under control. Are they not paying attention, are they being deliberately provocative or are they luring me into a trap ? Yes, I will get mildly irritated by a vehicle behaving like that, but it will never entice me to pass on the inside (illegal in the UK in that situation), or to do anything else hastily. It's much more interesting to watch the behaviour of a car from a distance. I always wear a high viz jacket. I always wear a white helmet - its impossible to buy a helmet in my size that isn't a plain colour, and that usually means white. I ride a motorbike that has its headlights on all of the time (in the UK and Europe, headlights now have to come on with the ignition). In the rear view mirror, it is difficult to tell what colour the bike is behind the headlight.

Stay well back, match their speed, keep calm, let them see you - take the wide line through corners as you would normally, so you appear in different mirrors - its surprising how much calming influence you can have on erratic driving behaviour that this image in the rear view mirror has.

Which is exactly what you were doing, and I suspect why they eventually moved over !

recto-cranial inversion
Congratulations, you have just won the internet......
I agree this driver had no clue you were behind them... Maybe switch to a HD with open pipes, after all "Loud Pipes Saves Lives".... /smirk/.....

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #

We have a more worrying phenomenon over here too. 'Crash for Cash', where an accident is engineered by one or two cars in order to force an unsuspecting driver into a collision which is deemed to be their fault.
That's common enough in Russia that lots of people install dash cams to avoid getting the hairy end of the lollipop stick when being scammed:

[video=youtube;8TQN8B8Jb9k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TQN8B8Jb9k[/video]

--Mark

Stump

Site Supporter
Bike
VFR1200X
STOC #

I'd have passed him over the double yellow within the first few moments of the encounter. being anywhere near people who drive that interesting is an anathema to me. Scares me to death. 3 secs to pass and what is now behind me is not important.

STOC #

Wow. Solitude... with miles of beautiful surroundings and almost no one else on the road with you, and you let this one inattentive driver take that away from you?
Must have more on your mind than just this guy.

Just sayin'

Jim

Bike
2010 ST1300

What is the law concerning passing on the right side in Canada? It is so commonplace here (Ohio) that you can expect it rather than be surprised when a car comes up fast from behind and blows by on your right side. I suspect this started on multi lane interstates, spread to three or more lane (per side) city streets, and now happens everywhere.

st1300doug

I'd passed that sucker on the 'right side' so fast.....he/she wouldn't have time to even blink!!!

OP
OP
Jim C-G
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #

One thing you have to remember, action cams have very wide angle lenses and objects are much closer than they look. Our side of the highway was clear but there was just enough traffic coming in the opposite lane to make me think twice about passing on the double solid lines. My eyes were seeing that before you are aware of it on video. I contemplated taking him on the right which I am sure is illegal here (although I have done it) but the second he semi-straddled the line, I just was not going to take a chance with what was going thru his mind. Although a bit peeved, I was quite willing to take the two minutes it took to get by him. On the mainland and/or down south (US) with lots of traffic on a divided highway, I don't think this would have been a surprise or much more than a blip in a normal day riding. Here, with sparse traffic and a clear road ahead of him, it was just laziness, inattention, selfishness, stupidity, arrogance, dislike of bikes, disregard of mirrors or a touch of all of the above.

I'll add one to the "Helpful' drivers here, the ones when you get up close to them on two lane highway (most of our roads) and slow down just a touch, putting their right side blinker on in order to tell you to go ahead and pass them... 99% of the time on a blind corner!

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #

That guy in the Mazda in front of Jim C-G was being a jerk and your patience was commendable I must say. It may be that he/ she was simply inattentive or it could have been deliberate - the weaving from one lane to the other over the centreline was quite apparent.

I couldn’t see the plate on the Mazda but driving on our 401 from Windsor to Toronto, I have always been surprise by the number of drivers who don’t “keep right except to pass”.

In Canada this is absolutely drilled into us in driver training and in Ontario - you WILL fail a driving licence test if you don’t yield the left lane to passing traffic. In Europe (particularly in Germany) failing to yield the left lane to faster traffic is viewed as an unforgivable sin - and rightly so IMO. When you are passing in the LH lane on an autobahn, you always keep one eye on the rear view mirror and if you see high beams flash - you get the he!! out of the way - chop chop. Otherwise, you could be rear-ended by a 250 km/ Porsche / AUDI / M-B or Bimmer.

I will finish being saying that I try as hard as I can to never be in a hurry while riding my bikes. Motorcycling is fun and I try to not spoil it with unhappy encounters or by having to depend on the skill and courtesy of others. When faced with a real twit who is being a slowpoke - I will either pass - or simply pull over for 15 minutes to let the turmoil roll on down the road.

Pete

Last edited:
Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #

I contemplated taking him on the right which I am sure is illegal here
I've heard this comment a few times before on various internet forums and I just never believed it. I know its not true in California, so I googled Ontario just as one reference for Canada (yeah, I know you don't live there, but I suspect each province is going to be more similar than different)

From Ontario provincial motor codes:

Passing to right of vehicle

150 (1) The driver of a motor vehicle may overtake and pass to the right of another vehicle only where the movement can be made in safety and,

(a) the vehicle overtaken is making or about to make a left turn or its driver has signalled his or her intention to make a left turn;

(b) is made on a highway with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width for two or more lines of vehicles in each direction; or

(c) is made on a highway designated for the use of one-way traffic only. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 150 (1).

Top Bottom