So how's your day been?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I've spent a good part of my day trying to buy a Deltran Power Tender 5A Charger from Amazon.

Initially all went well until it was time to submit the order— 'this item can't be shipped to the selected address' my PO Box. Oy. There are other shipping options none as convenient as my POB.

Amazon has a list of reasons why it might not be deliverable to my POB but none apply. So I call them up. Oy[SUP]2.

[/SUP]Trying to ascertain why this can't be shipped where I want I tell my sad story to several minions who can neither grok the situation or help if they did. I realize the well honed algorithms will not let them override the restriction— but I wanted to know why it's restricted because really there's no reason for it.

The 'reasons' given were pulled from I don't want to know where but none of them held water and are too numerous to relate.

My gut feeling is that because the word 'battery' is included in the product description someone somewhere flipped a 'No Go!' bit and the rest is history. I've ordered a ton of stuff from AMZ and except for third party sellers the POB was never a problem. Except for the time I ordered a cheapie flashlight that didn't ship with a battery. Same thing- 'can't be shipped to a PO Box'. WTW??

I was finally able to convince someone that I wasn't looking for an override but just the reasoning behind the charger's shipping restriction. So there's a ticket in to a Higher Power. I'm hoping for something more than what I've been getting— 'It's because there's a restriction'. In the service we had a saying— something about 'if you wish in one hand...' I forget the rest but I seem to recall it being about not getting your desired outcome. Oy[SUP]3[/SUP]!

Terminator2

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
Hello. My name is Rick. I realize you posted this 6 days ago. I just had to reply. You see. I lived in Lake Tahoe for 14yrs. The towns I lived in had no USPS home delivery, hence POB. Financial institutions and so many others treated me like I was an Officer in covert operations. The few times I did provide my residence addy, *laugh*. The sender would attempt home delivery (no can do). I am originally from Los Angeles. (PO Boxes?). Hope it doesn't get to you, like it did to me, llol. :eek:

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
If it is mailed through the postal service I would just fill the address out as unit xxx or suite xxx and it will be delivered, if it is shipped through a courier that addressing change doesn't help.

Gerhard

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Might have a lot to do with competitors not cooperating with one another. UPS will not deliver to a POB unless the shipment was a UPS "Sure Post" shipment... then they play well together. Different price structure and possible sharing of the shipping costs.

OP
OP
ST Gui

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The issue is that Amazon won't use the USPS for this item because they're HUA. A POB requires USPS postage which is paid when First Class/Priority/Standard Mail etc is used.

FedEx and UPS don't pay US Postage. Their other businesses Smart Post/Sure Post/Mail Innovations do pay US Postage so they can go to a POB. For street addresses AMZ uses UPS mainly.

Using Unit or Suite likely won't get mail delivered to a POB as the designation POB in some form or other is required as is PMB for private mail boxes at places like Mail Box Express etc.

This charger is sold by AMZ so the carrier is their call. And for some reason they believe the USPS sees this as a restricted item like mailing Li-ion battery by airmail or mailing alcohol. This in no way is restricted by the USPS. Somebody at AMZ made a mistake in classifying it. They never did get back to me as to the basis of the so called restriction(s).

But they have a service called AMZ Lockers which are placed inside various business and delivered to by AMZ and are used only for AMZ deliveries. You're emailed a barcoded and code that you can display on your phone and have read by the locker or type in a code. A locker with your item opens and Bob's your uncle.

So I got it and all the agitation is water under the bridge. I can charge a relatively dead (3V minimum) battery faster than a Battery Tender Jr but with the same convenience of the Tender lead connected to the battery. It's a 5A charger vs the BTJr's .75A.

Top Bottom