Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phoenix Bike Rentals

Bike
    2010 Honda ST13
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Phoenix Bike Rentals

I'm tentatively planning to fly to Phoenix, AZ in April and rent a bike for a 10-day vacation.

I looked into Eagle Rider, but their website is cumbersome, they want $65 to guarantee the bike bike you gave them a deposit for and they don't seem to have any Goldwings which is the bike I want to rent.

So, I'm looking at Arizona Fun Time Rentals. You need to call them to make a reservation because they're website is pretty basic, but they've gotten good reviews. Anyone have experience with them?

I also want my own helmets/gear which I'll probably need to put in checked luggage for the flight. Can I leave a suitcase (which would be empty) at the rental place?

Bike
    2007 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Re: Phoenix Bike Rentals

Quote Originally Posted by ddemair View Post
    Can I leave a suitcase (which would be empty) at the rental place?
    Since you have to call them, anyway, just ask them if it's alright to leave your luggage.

Just my opinion, but checking your gear is somewhat risky. Luggage does get "lost" or misdirected. An alternative: buy a Rubbermaid container, large enough for all of your gear, securing it with zip-ties or whatever, and ship it via UPS or FedEx. That way you have a guaranteed delivery, and a tracking number. And, you won't have to "carry" your gear.

Bike
    ST1100(s)
    2017 Miles

My SPOT
    My Gallery

Many rental places let you leave your hard luggage with them, but it's still good to call and ask. Another option is pack your stuff in river bags or duffle bags that can be folded up or can be strapped on the back of the bike. That's what I usually do when I go abroad to rent a bike. I usually try to carry my helmet in my carryon bag (you can get special helmet bags). Trying to get the rest of your riding gear in a carryon bag can be quite challenging since the airlines have cut back on the size. I've had friends that actually 'flew' in their riding gear just to be sure. It's not bad if you are on a shorter flight and you can always remove your jacket and store it away in the overhead.

97 ST1100 STD +146,000 / 02 ST1100 ABS +110,000/ 97 ST1100 ABS +60,000
    www.UnclePhil.us

"There's more to leading than being in front." - Uncle Phil

Bike
    2012 ST1300A
    Tip Overs
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

I rented from these folks: http://azride.com. Don't have anyone to compare them to, but I had a good experience. Don't know if they have any Goldwings. I rented an FJR. I mailed my gear to them and it was there when I arrived.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I?
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the differen
    ce.--R. Frost

My Gallery

I Fedexed a box of our riding gear to the bed and breakfast in Rapid City for a vacation a while back. Since it was our base camp, it worked out great, and we only carried a few small items on the plane from Los Angeles.
    The Rapid City Harley Dealer picked us up at the airport, got us set up with the Electraglide Ultra and couple of helmets, strapped our carry bags to the trunk, and made our way to base camp.
    Great trip, had our own gear and helmets waiting for us, wife really loved the area, and would recommend it highly as a wonderful Fly and Ride getaway.

However, if you are going to be mobile for 10 days and in different hotels each night, make arrangements to Fedex your gear directly to the Bike Rental Company. They probably have a lot of experience with this common situation.
    Jefro.

Bike
    2007 ST1300 ABS
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Hi All:

I am going with my family to Phoenix right after Christmas and would like to rent a bike there for a few days. I will likely try something I've never had a go with a HD - something small like a Sportster would be fine because I'll be solo and don't need anything for tripping around as it will just be for short rides.

Anyhow this thread is really valuable to me - so any tips or DO NOTS are very much welcome!

Cheers,

Pete
    The harder I work, the luckier I get.

(Threadstarter)
    Bike
    2010 Honda ST13
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by MaxPete View Post
    I will likely try something I've never had a go with a HD
    I rented a Street Glide recently because I was considering renting a Harley for my Phoenix trip. It was a fine ride for the day, but the ergonomics just wouldn't work for me for longer/multiple days. Depending on how far you plan on riding each day, you may want to try one out first, unless you've already ridden one.

Bike
    2007 ST1300 ABS
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

I’ll just be puddling around Phoenix with my cousin who has a big 2014 Road King Classic DeluxeGlide...whatever....that he is going to trailer down there for the winter (we are only staying a week).

As I said, the whole fam-damily is going and I’ll be solo on the rental so I doubt I’ll go more than 100 km or miles on any one day and I’ve always wanted to try a Harley, so this seems like the perfect opportunity.

What do you folks do about the extra insurance etc?

Quote Originally Posted by MaxPete View Post
    I’ve always wanted to try a Harley
    I do not own a Harley because they do not match the type of riding that I enjoy doing. I have ridden several different types of Harleys however, including the Sportster, and I truly think that they are great bikes. All except for the Sportster. Not because it is a bad bike but because it is as entry level as you can get and it performs accordingly- you get what you pay for. There is nothing wrong with them- they just perform at a very low level as far as comfort and suspension, etc.. If you want a fair evaluation of what the experience of riding a Harley is really like I suggest that you rent something other than a Sportster for a better experience.

Caveat: I base the above opinion on the assumption that the Sportster has not changed significantly in the ten or so years since I last rode one I and admit total ignorance as to what it is currently like. If anyone knows if it has improved significantly please correct me.
    Andrew

My Gallery

I have a recommendation, based on my experience two years ago. I flew to San Diego, and was picked up at the airport by: http://360motorcycleadventures.com/s...e-rentals.html
    from whom I rented a Super Tenere for two weeks. Very good in every way.
    And although I've been in Phoenix, I much prefer San Diego. Of course, if you're staying for free with relatives...

Lost time is never found again, but riding time is never lost!

+ New Posts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast