Phoenix Bike Rentals

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
I'm tentatively planning to fly to Phoenix, AZ in April and rent a bike for a 10-day vacation.

I looked into Eagle Rider, but their website is cumbersome, they want $65 to guarantee the bike bike you gave them a deposit for and they don't seem to have any Goldwings which is the bike I want to rent.

So, I'm looking at Arizona Fun Time Rentals. You need to call them to make a reservation because they're website is pretty basic, but they've gotten good reviews. Anyone have experience with them?

I also want my own helmets/gear which I'll probably need to put in checked luggage for the flight. Can I leave a suitcase (which would be empty) at the rental place?

Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
Can I leave a suitcase (which would be empty) at the rental place?
Since you have to call them, anyway, just ask them if it's alright to leave your luggage.

Just my opinion, but checking your gear is somewhat risky. Luggage does get "lost" or misdirected. An alternative: buy a Rubbermaid container, large enough for all of your gear, securing it with zip-ties or whatever, and ship it via UPS or FedEx. That way you have a guaranteed delivery, and a tracking number. And, you won't have to "carry" your gear. :)

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Many rental places let you leave your hard luggage with them, but it's still good to call and ask. Another option is pack your stuff in river bags or duffle bags that can be folded up or can be strapped on the back of the bike. That's what I usually do when I go abroad to rent a bike. I usually try to carry my helmet in my carryon bag (you can get special helmet bags). Trying to get the rest of your riding gear in a carryon bag can be quite challenging since the airlines have cut back on the size. I've had friends that actually 'flew' in their riding gear just to be sure. It's not bad if you are on a shorter flight and you can always remove your jacket and store it away in the overhead.

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I rented from these folks: http://azride.com. Don't have anyone to compare them to, but I had a good experience. Don't know if they have any Goldwings. I rented an FJR. I mailed my gear to them and it was there when I arrived.

Jefro

I ride to Sturgis
I Fedexed a box of our riding gear to the bed and breakfast in Rapid City for a vacation a while back. Since it was our base camp, it worked out great, and we only carried a few small items on the plane from Los Angeles.
The Rapid City Harley Dealer picked us up at the airport, got us set up with the Electraglide Ultra and couple of helmets, strapped our carry bags to the trunk, and made our way to base camp.
Great trip, had our own gear and helmets waiting for us, wife really loved the area, and would recommend it highly as a wonderful Fly and Ride getaway.

However, if you are going to be mobile for 10 days and in different hotels each night, make arrangements to Fedex your gear directly to the Bike Rental Company. They probably have a lot of experience with this common situation.
Jefro.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Hi All:

I am going with my family to Phoenix right after Christmas and would like to rent a bike there for a few days. I will likely try something I've never had a go with a HD - something small like a Sportster would be fine because I'll be solo and don't need anything for tripping around as it will just be for short rides.

Anyhow this thread is really valuable to me - so any tips or DO NOTS are very much welcome!

Cheers,

Pete

OP
OP
ddemair
Bike
2010 Honda ST13
I will likely try something I've never had a go with a HD
I rented a Street Glide recently because I was considering renting a Harley for my Phoenix trip. It was a fine ride for the day, but the ergonomics just wouldn't work for me for longer/multiple days. Depending on how far you plan on riding each day, you may want to try one out first, unless you've already ridden one.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
I’ll just be puddling around Phoenix with my cousin who has a big 2014 Road King Classic DeluxeGlide...whatever....that he is going to trailer down there for the winter (we are only staying a week).

As I said, the whole fam-damily is going and I’ll be solo on the rental so I doubt I’ll go more than 100 km or miles on any one day and I’ve always wanted to try a Harley, so this seems like the perfect opportunity.

What do you folks do about the extra insurance etc?

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I’ve always wanted to try a Harley
I do not own a Harley because they do not match the type of riding that I enjoy doing. I have ridden several different types of Harleys however, including the Sportster, and I truly think that they are great bikes. All except for the Sportster. Not because it is a bad bike but because it is as entry level as you can get and it performs accordingly- you get what you pay for. There is nothing wrong with them- they just perform at a very low level as far as comfort and suspension, etc.. If you want a fair evaluation of what the experience of riding a Harley is really like I suggest that you rent something other than a Sportster for a better experience.

Caveat: I base the above opinion on the assumption that the Sportster has not changed significantly in the ten or so years since I last rode one I and admit total ignorance as to what it is currently like. If anyone knows if it has improved significantly please correct me.

catcher

Site Supporter
Bike
'18Wing, '16VFR1200X
I have a recommendation, based on my experience two years ago. I flew to San Diego, and was picked up at the airport by: http://360motorcycleadventures.com/san-diego-motorcycle-rentals.html
from whom I rented a Super Tenere for two weeks. Very good in every way.
And although I've been in Phoenix, I much prefer San Diego. Of course, if you're staying for free with relatives...

Jefro

I ride to Sturgis
What do you folks do about the extra insurance etc?
Great question.
I spoke to my insurance agent before our trip and found that my existing coverage was also good for a rental bike.
But I added some extra medical coverage since it was out of state, just to be on the safe side.
The Rental Company will also have full coverage for you available for a relatively small cost per day.
However in case of an accident, Canadian or Australian motorcycle insurance may not cut here in the states, so the available extra cost coverage from the Rental Company may be a wise choice.
Jefro.

Jefro

I ride to Sturgis
If you want a fair evaluation of what the experience of riding a Harley is really like I suggest that you rent something other than a Sportster for a better experience.
Having owned many Harleys, I completely agree with this.
Just ask for their least expensive "Big Twin", preferably a Dyna or Softail model.
Jefro.

Gizmo

Dean
Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR
Based on the distance you plan to travel, I'd say to go with whichever one catches your fancy or best suits your budget. I've rented an ElectraGlide, Road King, and a Sportster from Eagle Rider in Palm Springs and a HD dealer in Florida. I didn't mind the time I had on the Sportster but I will admit to preferring the other 2 bikes. In all cases a Vrod was my preferred choice but wasn't an option due to availability or cost.

Bike
2006 ST1300
We have done 3 "fly in and ride" vacations....we flew in to Vegas, and rented a 'Wing at Escape Eagles. We took all our gear with us on the plane, including helmets and Aerostich suits, with no problem. Prices were good, and the condition of the bikes was good. No problems in the rental or the trips. I highly recommend that you get some reasonably priced bag liners for the wing...it'll make your trip ever so much easier. We measured the hard bags at the local dealership, and got some duffels which were close, but lost some packing room.
We did only 7 day rides, and personally, I would have loved to have gone further. I cannot recommend Viktor at Escape Eagles enough.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Based on the distance you plan to travel, I'd say to go with whichever one catches your fancy or best suits your budget.
I would normally agree with this statement if Pete's goal was only to ride around with his cousin. However, based on Pete stating that "I've always wanted to try a Harley" I assumed that what he is trying to achieve is to feel for himself what the appeal of a Harley is to so many people. If that is the case then the Sportster in not the Harley to feel that feeling in my opinion. It would be like renting a Honda Rebel 250 and deciding that you are not impressed with Honda motorcycles and would never buy one.

As an option to the OP considering what to do with gear. Most airlines allow one carry-on and one other bag on-board. For someone I know the other bag was a soft stuff-sack containing his helmet stuffed with his gloves and whatever else he could fit in to it. He wore his riding boots and the carry-on held everything else- he packed light. This way he did not have to worry about anything getting lost and ruining his trip. The bike shop picked him up at the airport. He changed in to his riding clothes at bike shop and they stored his suitcase for him. I would think that most rental places would be willing to store a suitcase because this must be a common issue for their customers but better to check with them first. He said it worked very well for him.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
OK guys, I know it’s not about an XS650 or an ST1300, but I am having a motorcycle adventure this week and wanted to report briefly on it. My family and I are in Phoenix to escape the cold CDN weather for a week and I have rented a Harley Street Glide from Eagle Rider for a few days. They are easy to deal with and I know everyone is wondering about the cost soooo....$956 USD taxes-in for 4 days including $1M liability insurance and zero-deductible on the bike.

Here is a brief report on the big hawg.

The HD is definitely a different feel from EVERYTHING else and I can see why there is a clear delineation between Harley riders and non-Harley riders.

It weighs even more than my ST1300 but has around 50 HP less, although the traditional 45* v-twin produces lots of torque. The redline is about 5300 rpm (versus 8500 on the Honda) and it has a 6-speed tranny. The clutch pull is moderate (about like an XS650) and the brakes seem OK. I have only ridden it for about 30 miles so far - and I liked it, but boy it IS different.

The biggest differences I have found so far are in the foot and handlebar controls:
- the sitting position is very low - anyone can’t flatfoot this bike likely shouldn’t ride;
- floorboards which are mostly ahead of you, not pegs which are mostly under you;
- front brake pedal that looks like something off a Toyota Corolla - and its waaaayyyy up forward;
- shifter is a big heel&toe affair - I couldn’t figure it out so I just used the toe shifter up&down like on a Japanese bike;
- turn signals - all I can say is...unique. Each bar has a button to signal in THAT direction instead of one button on the LH bar for both directions. It makes right turns a little busy, I found. The system is self-cancelling and seems to work well however

The one major criticism I have are the instruments - which are very complete, but much too small IMO. I found myself squinting and straining to see what the heck gear I was in and the little symbols for oil etc. were virtually illegible. I also found programming the GPS to be....puzzling and oddly, the engine kill switch is black (not the customary red) and I damn near shut the bike off on the freeway while trying use the RH turn signal. I like good controls and instruments - and frankly, these just aren’t. I’m sure I will get used to the peculiarities but the too small instruments are simply a bad thing (IMHO).

Given the age demographic of H-D riders, I’m surprised they would muff these details.

The engine noise is quite subdued - the biggest drama is the start-up when lots of gnashing and thrashing happens (fun at first but to an engineers ears, a bit off-putting). Once underway, the sound is a pleasant throb, but not loud and the gear shifts are pretty darned smooth. On the road I didn’t find vibration a major issue (nothing like the mobile paintshaker feeling of an XS650 that’s for sure). H-D has done a commendable job of quelling that famous Harley kidney-punishing thump.

As noted, the power is good (and with a displacement of 107 cu.in. or about 1800 cc’s - it darned well should be). My cousin and I got up to around 75 MPH on the short freeway ride to our vacation rental home - and the Harley had a lot more. The acceleration is OK - I would characterize it as “stately” but quite adequate, rather than the frantic arm-straightening rush of a big “metric” bike.

All of that said, the Street Glide is a neat bike and I am sure the I’ll enjoy riding it around beautiful sunny Arizona!

More on Pete’s Excellent Desert Adventure to come - watch this space!

EDIT - the bike is actually a Street Glide rather than the more elaborate Road Glide. Sorry for the mix-up.

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300
In my experience you will be happier riding a big twin instead of a sportster, especially if your riding partner is on a Road King. Read the insurance agreement carefully, usually it covers their bike only and can have a high deductible, like $2000. Last HD i rented was a Dyna. Not a bad bike but a little unstable at speeds of 75+. Comfortable, plenty of power but definitely not an ST.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Amended Harley Report
The bike is actually a Street Glide and not a Road Glide (who knew....) and so the fairing turns with the bars. Having said that, as any ST1300 rider can tell you, a frame mounted fairing isn’t a big deal after 10 minutes of riding - at least IMO.

The seat on the Harley is excellent - fit me to a tee.

Today was a blast and I put well over 200 miles on the Harley. We rode east from Phoenix through the mining town of Superior AZ to the old town of Globe. There we had an excellent Mexican lunch at a famous restaurant in the old part of town and then returned via Winkleman AZ on Hwy. 77. We stopped at the lookout to see the huge Ray Mine - one of the largest open pit copper mines in the US.

It was a great day and I finally figured out the GPS unit and the cruise control. Tomorrow - the stereo!

I must say, I’m getting used to the HD and I really can see why people are so devoted to them.

Last edited:

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
That is a great little loop...
Now out through Yarnell (food at the top of the hill) and on to Prescott and then turn around and come back through Wickenburg.

Top Bottom