(800) 622-4121
    http://www.canaanresort.com/

Multiple Accommodations Available:
    Camping
    Lodge Rooms
    Cabins (2 BRM, 3 BRM, 4 BRM)
    Cottages

WBGVA FALL RIDE 2018!

The Canaan Valley Resort have lodge rooms, cabins, and camping available, so something for everyone. The lodge restaurant is very good plus there are several other eating establishments that are available nearby. John Gregory and John Conner are sharing a 4 bedroom cabin (#10) with others and will be using this as the base camp. Check with us for Breakfast and Dinner plans.

Like previous years, we just can't be satisfied with riding in on Thursday, riding Friday and Saturday, then riding home. So we have an 'Early Bird' or bonus day, starting on Wednesday. We can ride the area Thursday through Saturday. If you have the time and inclination, come join us on Wednesday evening and we will get an early bird start on touring this incredible state at the most beautiful time of year.

Lodging Notes:
    - Early reservations are recommended. Please contact the Canaan Resort for rates and to make reservations. A group of us stayed in a 4 Bedroom cabin that had 1.5 baths and it worked out to about $40 per night, per person. There were 7 of us in the cabin. For 2019 the same group is planning to stay in another 4 Bedroom cabin and have requested Cabin #10 (no guarantees).
    - The lodge has wireless internet access and as of 2017, so do the cabins. The cabins have TV’s but no cable in 2017. Maybe this will be addressed by 2018. The cabins were well appointed otherwise with a full kitchen and large refrigerator, with icemaker and dispenser.
    - Cell phone reception was adequate for Verizon and ATT but there was no or very little data connection at the cabins. The WiFi connections helped a lot with text and data communications.

Riding Notes:
    - John Gregory will be in charge of route selection for those that want to do the organized ride. We should be able to avoid starting East and finishing West, plus we will be starting in an already Great area.
    - We will start each day at a place for Breakfast. The default will be Cabin 10. Pre-ride briefing will be at 8:30 and Kickstands up time will be 8:45. We will announce any changes to the daily gathering place.
    - Assuming we have a dozen or more riders in a group, we will use the 'Drop and Sweep' approach to move the group around. It works great as long as a breadcrumb doesn't abandon their post, and allows for safe riding at your own pace.
    - Some of the area we will be riding in is in a 'radio free zone' for the Green Bank Observatory. There will be large parts of the day that we will have NO CELL PHONE COVERAGE. We encourage you to ride conservatively on these roads as emergency help will NOT be a cell phone call away for much of the ride.

Ride Good!

John Conner

Last edited by JohnConner; 10-10-2017 at 04:33 PM.

You meet the nicest people on a Honda!

Re: WV-STOC 6 (10/3-7/2018) Davis, WV

waiting on Mellow for the RSVP!!!

John Gregory

Bike
    ST-1200
    Tip Overs
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

RSVP Added.

Bike
    06 ST / 08 Wing
    My Gallery

There might be brownies!!!
    They say I'm over the hill. No I'm on the back nine!!!

STOC#8078 Silver Lining

(Threadstarter)
    Bike
    2008 ST-1300
    Tip Overs
    My SPOT
    My Gallery

Thanks Mellow!

Quote Originally Posted by JCB View Post
    There might be brownies!!!
    and Ice Cream!!!!

Here's a route for Friday or Saturday when most folks will be available...includes a lunch stop at the Hutte Swiss Restaurant and walking tour of Helvetia. Just a tad under 200 miles and hits the awesome Stemple Ridge Road on the way back to camp.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Cana...1812!3e0?hl=en

John G.

Here's another potential route with lunch in either Franklin (Fireside Café) or Monterey VA (High's Restaurant)... Includes Smoke Hole Road and Sugar Grove, WV... just about 175 miles.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Cana...1812!3e0?hl=en

+ New Posts