Auxilliary turn indicator DASH lights

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
I like sit up-straight as I ride. However this means I sometimes miss the turn indicator on the dash when things get busy in town, and this is of course is potentially very dangerous. The ST indicator dash light is tucked up under the dash top and out of sight sometimes, for me.

I mostly don't look for the lights as I usually automatically press the cancel button. However on occasions I forget this 'automatic' step and leave my indicator flashing. Other priorities like dodging cars take over.

So I am wondering if other ST'ers have fitted larger indicator dash lights or a sound alert? This would be helpful to me and I would like to do one or other, or both!

Thanks, D

Last edited:

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Re: Auxilliary turn idicator DASH lights

I have exactly the same problem - the normal indicator warning lights are hidden under the hood above the dash from my lofty seating position.

I have a strip of 6 LED lights (you can buy this stuff by the meter on ebay, and it can be cut every 3 or 6 LEDs). The wiring needs to be soldered onto the strip. I have stuck them onto the bottom lip of the mirror housing - underneath the mirror, and spliced them into the cable inside the mirror housing. Being LEDs, you have to get the polarity of the connections correct, but the current draw is very low, and has no impact on the total load of the indicator circuit that needs to be worried about.

At night they are perhaps a tad too bright, but I found that location much better than on the dash. It seems that when looking at the road, my concentration is such that warning lights just get ignored. Being on the mirror, I am checking that constantly, so I never miss them.

It's a quick, easy and effective solution. Others on the forum have more elegant solutions, but this works well for me.

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #

On my 1978 Honda CB750K a stock item still available is a little berral shaped speaker with only 2 wires, plugs into turn signal light wires. Loud beep every flash.
I also did the led bulbs, but in the black slots of the mirror holder.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010

I really really dislike the audible noise makers. Had one on my 750-4 for maybe a week and then removed it with extreme prejudice. They are annoying though they may train you not to forget to turn them off. That's if you can stand a buzzer long enough to be reprogrammed.

For my money the ACL Turn Signal Reminder Thingy!!!® is hands down The Best Bang for the Buck in Auxiliary Turn Signal Indicators and Most Effective.

The original version uses two LEDs. I used one centrally located LED and it worked very well. As I have an RBIS mount on the dash now I'll probably have to use the two LED version.

Read the whole thread. It's got everything you need to know about this farkle and will save you from asking questions already answered.

To start you off— the LEDs can be seen in the windscreen in any kind of daylight but are not too bright at night so you'll be spared from a fiery death.

I've also done an LED in Mirror Housing mod that I like but it's not nearly as efficient as the ACL Turn signal Reminder Thingy!!!®. It looks nice and I wouldn't not do it but for what you want the ACLTSRT is the way to go.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

I really really dislike the audible noise makers. Had one on my 750-4 for maybe a week and then removed it with extreme prejudice. They are annoying though they may train you not to forget to turn them off. That's if you can stand a buzzer long enough to be reprogrammed.

For my money the ACL Turn Signal Reminder Thingy!!!® is hands down The Best Bang for the Buck in Auxiliary Turn Signal Indicators and Most Effective.

The original version uses two LEDs. I used one centrally located LED and it worked very well. As I have an RBIS mount on the dash now I'll probably have to use the two LED version.

Read the whole thread. It's got everything you need to know about this farkle and will save you from asking questions already answered.

To start you off— the LEDs can be seen in the windscreen in any kind of daylight but are not too bright at night so you'll be spared from a fiery death.

I've also done an LED in Mirror Housing mod that I like but it's not nearly as efficient as the ACL Turn signal Reminder Thingy!!!®. It looks nice and I wouldn't not do it but for what you want the ACLTSRT is the way to go.
+1, this was such an easy and obvious add-on and works very well!

Bike
VStrom 650
I haven't felt the urge myself, although I can fully understand your concerns about indicators.
On ebay UK they sell inline buzzers that have an adjustable built in delay, so that it will only buzz if the indicators are left on.
Would seem to be a good solution?
Hope it helps.
Upt'North.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
I like the LEDs-in-the-dash solution. On my first 2 ST1100s, I had a series of micro-switches with LED warning lights, and a couple of Green LEDs to act as repeaters for the turn signal. All were located in LED panel housings. The anode/cathode connectors were greased and the soldered joints protected with shrink-wrap tube - one each leg and one to enclose the LED holder, both insulated legs and the wire, to add support. Wiring was cable tied to prevent movement.

Nevertheless, after a couple of years, I found that the LEDs needed to be replaced as the cathode or anode broke away from the LED capsule - just from the vibration of the bike. No problem, I had spares - it was just a bit of a pain having to remove the relevant bits of fairing to effect the repair.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Somebody was selling a 'kit' of led's (check out superbrightleds.com). These were individual leds with a resistor so they were rated for 12 v. You drilled a small hole in the outboard edge of the mirror's plastic holder - the holes are already there, you just make them round and a bit larger - and use silicone caulk to glue the led in place. I did 4 per side, some guys do more, and all the wires are gathered together and connected to the indicator light on that side of the bike. Neat and easy. Same effect as John's LED's.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
There are some non visual options.

1 You could get a 12 volt buzzer or salvage the vibrator motor out of an old Motorola pageboy pager and mount it under your seat powered by the turn signal. So if the bike feels like a Harley you left the turn signal on....

2 You could get one of those electric muscle massager, put the sticky pads on either side of your lumbars again powered by the turn signal. So if you are getting a back massage you left your turn signal on....

Oh I guess I did not solve the problem just made it worse...... :rofl1:

Bike
2010 ST1300
There is also the aftermarket self cancelling turn signal module described in another thread. Iirc it costs in the neighborhood of 150- -175 and uses accelerometers to monitor the bike's motion and turns off the signal after the turn. Mounting it is not trivial, but not difficult. The key to this is finding a place that is horizontal and installing the control module with the front pointing forward.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I think that was the very first farkle for my ST. I really like it. The mirror housing does shield the light from adjacent traffic at some point but I still wouldn't not do it.

Top Bottom