SMC on a 2003

Please help save me some time by directing me to the appropriate thread. I'm sure someone here has done a write up complete with step by step instructions and part numbers on the secondary master cylinder issue! I've already picked through half-a-dozen and can't find comprehensive info in one place....

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Please help save me some time by directing me to the appropriate thread. I'm sure someone here has done a write up complete with step by step instructions and part numbers on the secondary master cylinder issue! I've already picked through half-a-dozen and can't find comprehensive info in one place....
I don't remember having read a post that covers absolutely everything. Sometimes a brake drag problem is put down to an SMC fault when it is actually something else. But rear brake drag could be due to a whole host of things - eg rear pistons sticking, rear pad spring inserted incorrectly, rear slider pins gunged up, too much grease on the rear slider pins, wrong type of rear pads, ....... Or the rear brake sticking could be due to any of the above issues but on the front callipers - and add to that the possibility of a front brake lever push rod issue. If something related to the front brake is sticking, then the SMC may be working perfectly correctly by applying the rear brakes.

The problem could be with the SMC - but we don't know the history, how well it has been bled (following the correct procedures precisely), whether someone has previously removed the SMC plunger and altered the length of the push rod, whether or not the needle roller bearings in the caliper bolt mount have been regularly checked - etc etc.

So any response to the question about an 'SMC issue' can depend very much on what the problem is, what other symptoms there are and the level of experience and knowledge of the person reading the reply.

But - since you ask about the parts, it suggests that you are wanting to replace it anyway ?

Use the microfiche at Ron Ayers or similar site to find the component that you are after. The entire unit is part number 06454-MCS-G03 - but you would need to check that out for yourself. I would suggest that for a 2003 bike, you replace the whole unit - rather than just the service kit. The chances are that if there is a fault, at that age, the cylinder bore will be pitted or out of shape and just buying the piston service kit may not be enough to solve the problem (whatever it is).

There are photos of a brand new SMCPlease help save me some time by directing me to the appropriate thread. I'm sure someone here has done a write up complete with step by step instructions and part numbers on the secondary master cylinder issue! I've already picked through half-a-dozen and can't find comprehensive info in one place....[/quote]"] here - note that this is the later variety intended for bikes from 2008. These do not fit the 2003 version - but you get the idea of what the complete unit comes with.

I have a series of photos from a dismantled 2004 SMC here - along with members' comments which you may find useful.

Basically you buy the entire assembly, (Part #2 on the fiche) and plumb it in. You will need new crush washers for the banjo bolts and you will need to have a rubber boot for the slider pin. You should also replace the two ALOC caliper mounting bolts - but wait until after bleeding before securing everything. Also check out those needle roller bearings on which the bracket is mounted. But you may want to inspect and service the calliper pistons while the system is empty of fluid ?

Check out the correct bleeding sequence and follow it to the letter. And then repeat the entire cycle a couple more times. Take a look at 'Getting All of the Air Out of the System) in this series of diagrams (more detail is in the pdf than in the post) - which might help. Also Brakes - Avoiding the Pitfalls here - if you are not familiar with the ST1300 braking system.

But all of this is a general response to a non specific 'SMC issue' question. Let us know what the problem is and we can try to provide a more detailed answer. Providing a document that covers 'absolutely everything' is a mammoth task. I know, I started it a while back. I'm on my 3rd page of topic headings and still adding to it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom