First hot day on the ST

This will probably be the last 80F day of the year so I wanted to see how hot my new ST could get it and if I need to do any winter modifications.

The bike is all stock except for the the OEM deflectors on the sides and mirrors. Ran it for 30 minutes at 75 mph, then 15 mins of stop and go, fan probably came on 15-20 times I guess. Ambient was 79-80 and sunny. By the end of the 45 minute ride, I was uncomfortable and tolerating it, but not sure how I'd feel about it getting any hotter. So I went home and changed from mesh into leather while it idled, then went back out. It was excellent for 10 minutes, but after the heat seemed to sink into the leather but it was much better.

My question is, how much hotter can it get? If it's 95F out and I've been running all day will it get even worse? Obviously I'll be hotter, but will the bike just pour off more and more heat the hotter ambient gets?

Bike
2014 ST1300a
It can be very hot. there are three place feel very hot:tank seat and ankle,use some insulation materials to resist hot air to tank and seat. wear boots to protect your ankle.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've ran in 115F heat numerous times (first time was for an hour and a half!)! It really does depend on you, and how much you can tolerate!

Last edited:
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
I too run in the 115 degree So Cal valley heat. I wear jeans and mesh tennis shoes (air flow thru the toes). in the winter time it does get down to 32 degrees in the mornings and I have found that if I remove the inspection covers by my knee (the small Tupperware, not the cover over the spark plugs) it will give me more heat and keep my legs warmer. Last summer while on a 3,000 mile trek through Colorado and back. The return trip from Scottsdale to Riverside was triple digits. I taped a piece of cardboard over the inspection cover that stuck out another inch to push the heat out away from the leg. It was 3.5 inches above the top of the slot and 3 inches below the bottom of the slot. It made it much more tolerable. Duct tape again to the rescue.... now we need to get someone to three D print new inspection covers that stick out one more inch I bet you might find some customers here.......

I’ve felt a little heat but nothing too bad. My air cooled victory gets crazy hot and starts to burn my leg. I guess I just haven’t experienced the heat that people report or I’m just used to it now.

At 118 in stop and go city traffic for an hour, it gets very hot, tank and frame. But the sun here is just as hot with ATGATT, so which is more :shrug1:
Looking forward to riding in sub 90 temps.:clap2:Riding today at 95 was not bad and did not notice heat from the ST. YMMV

OP
OP
Auron
How would you guys compare that 110+F heat to what it's like when 80F out like I rods in yesterday?

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
This will probably be the last 80F day of the year so I wanted to see how hot my new ST could get it and if I need to do any winter modifications.

The bike is all stock except for the the OEM deflectors on the sides and mirrors. Ran it for 30 minutes at 75 mph, then 15 mins of stop and go, fan probably came on 15-20 times I guess. Ambient was 79-80 and sunny. By the end of the 45 minute ride, I was uncomfortable and tolerating it, but not sure how I'd feel about it getting any hotter. So I went home and changed from mesh into leather while it idled, then went back out. It was excellent for 10 minutes, but after the heat seemed to sink into the leather but it was much better.

My question is, how much hotter can it get? If it's 95F out and I've been running all day will it get even worse? Obviously I'll be hotter, but will the bike just pour off more and more heat the hotter ambient gets?
It is a big motorcycle with a big motor. It is gonna get hot. Hotter than some, not hot as others. Mylar bubble wrap between the tank and the seat, and under the seat, works wonders. Always wear boots. Cooling vests work great in CO, not so well in TN.

How would you guys compare that 110+F heat to what it's like when 80F out like I rods in yesterday?
When it is 80 I start to notice the ST has some warm air coming from it rather than the ambient. At 50 it feels good to snuggle with. At <40 it's tuck in and hug her tight. Being more concerned about the heat I have never invested in the electric heat gear. Sounds like your ST is just fine.

Bike
2010 ST1300
If you want heat, hit the twisties and brake and accelerate, and brake and accelerate. An engine working like this will throw out more heat than cruising on the freeway, regardless of the temperature. And keep your knees out away from the tank - it makes a difference. If you sit on a bead rider, you will get some air flow between you and the seat.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
The hotter the ambient air the hotter the air exiting the radiator will be as it is cooled less by warm air then cool air. At what temperature that ceases to have a noticeable influence on the air exiting the radiator that you can feel in practical terms I have no idea. Unfortunately I don't think that you will ever get a response that will answer your question. It seems that the ST1300 heat issue is very subjective and everyone seems to feel the heat to a different degree. I think that it is something that you will need to figure out for yourself by riding in different temperatures.

OP
OP
Auron
In other words, the difference between 65 ambient and 80 is substantial and I should expect the same thing when it goes from 80F to 95F? How do you guys ride these things all day? I will admit I'm sensitive to everything so I'm sure it's me.

Last edited:
Bike
VStrom 650
The answer is yes, higher temp will make it hotter.
Try to prevent overheating in the first place, textiles with vents open, helmet with vents open etc.
But physics don't lie, heat is heat.
Upt.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
...and remember, all the cooling vests and ac contraptions in the world won't hydrate you.. your body already knows how to cope and even though it's uncomfortable, sweating is the best approach.. which means you need to stay hydrated.

The bike is hot, most of them are and the ST is near the top percentage of the worst ones but keeping hydrated is the 1st line of defense.. then, you manage the air flow depending on humidity in order to get the most cooling effect possible..

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I'm not sure I can add a lot of info here but here goes.
My 2005 ST is new to me. Before I bought it I was worried about the heat issues reported.
I've ridden it in mid-80's temp and it was no hotter than my Tiger 955 at the same ambient air temps. In fact because of the bodywork it was easier to 'get away' from the heat vs. the exposed engine of the Tiger.

Will it be hotter at hotter air temps? I expect so. By how much I have no idea.

I have a hand held laser thermometer that I've used to check temps on the bike. This is what I've found with some random checks after a 10 km commute in mid 30's-40's degs F ambient air temps

• frame by the fairing is about 100 degs F
  • tank area by the seat about 85 deg F
  • the exhaust is consistently 125 deg F under the footpegs
  • Cylinder head by the fairing opening is about 180 degs F,
  • front of the rad about 200-220 degs F,
  • rad outlet about 185 degs F
  • Rear exhaust header under the lower cowling 200+ degs F
  • Front exhaust header under the lower cowling 130-140 degs F

Last edited:

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
Can anyone answer my question?
Notice no one here considers the heat a deal breaker. Lots here have moved on to other makes and models and still watch this forum, anyone trade in a ST because of heat? Most say the good really out ways the bad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Auron
Many thanks for the input you guys must get so sick of answering heat questions, this is a great forum:06biker:

I guess for me, stock, it is a deal breaker. But I haven't tried any of the cool down trick yet either. Those of you that have "fixed" your heat problem, how bad was it for you and how much better is it now? Can you put a percentage of reduction on it? Forgive me I'm a very analytical person.

Top Bottom