An SMC month - Pictures from Igofar

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Igofar sent me a whole load of pictures of different SMC units that have crossed his work bench this month.

I think he knows me well enough by now to realise that this is like a birthday present to me, but said I could post them if I wished.

Well - yes - I reckon anything that helps others to know what to do - or in this case, what not to do - is well worth posting. Click the thumbnails to get a 1024x768 image.

So the first photos shows the offending SMC units. These must have been cleaned up - I have a brand new one on my desk here, and it doesn't look as clean and sparkly as these !

SMC 01.jpg

The rest of the text is from Larry:

Photos 2, 3, and 4 are of a recent bike that had 90,000 miles on it, the piston is so jammed in the bore, I could not even move it with a punch and ballpeen hammer!

SMC 02.jpg SMC 03.jpg SMC 04.jpg

Photos 5, 6, and 7 are interesting….the lower mounting bolt (6 mm head allen) that secures the unit to the fork lower, was loose and backing out, allowing the rotor to start cutting away at the bracket! The owner said he could hear something, but was not sure was it was, and thought it was normal tire noise lol.

SMC 05.jpg SMC 06.jpg SMC 07.jpg

Photos 8 and 9 are my favorite, the guy said his brakes would start dragging, so he'd stop, open the saddlebag, and retrieve a ballpeen hammer and a brass drift punch and whack it a few times to free it up!!!

SMC 08.jpg SMC 09.jpg

If you enlarge the pictures, you'll see CRACKS in the unit from his method!

Cheers Larry.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
jfheath said:
If you enlarge the pictures, you’ll see CRACKS in the unit from his method!
Holy carp! That's just like hitting the Enhance button on a CSI computer!

Note to self: when the SMC starts acting up— get a bigger hammer!

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
Are these for sale? Do you take in an exchange? Or are you a collector? :)

Bike
2010 ST1300
I thought rule one of maintenance was, if your hammer doesn't fix it, get a bigger hammer.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
All of these units were in various states of rust and corrosion!
They were cleaned with a solution of phosphoric acid!
If you ever want to clean roughcast aluminum to a like new condition, and dissolve all types of brake dust, grease, dirt, and grime to a like new condition....
Pick up a spray bottle of Mothers Pro Strength Chrome Wheel Cleaner and use a toothbrush.
DO NOT use this product on ANY paint, polished aluminum, clear coat, anodized or cadmium plated parts or spokes!
It states right on the bottle ***DO NOT USE ON MOTORCYCLES!***
I just used this on damaged parts to clean them to observe wear/damage.
Use at your own risk.
So, now you know my secret cleaning process John :rofl1:

Top Bottom