Tire Wear

Terminator2

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
:03biker: Good day everyone. I haven't been here much. Just enjoying riding (and racing?) my '06 ST which I purchased beginning of summer 2016. When I bought it, the bike had 32,xxx, and now it has 46,xxx. Some of you might recall the harrowing experience I had the first week of riding. The new Dunlops (which the seller bought), went south the first week. At rockin speeds in a long bend the rear tire separated from the sidewall. Bike and I survived with no damage. So, immediately I purchased Michelin Pilot Road4 GT's. Guess what? I've got 13,xxx miles on them and it's about time to buy new ones (you think?).. Has anyone else experienced high mileage from their tires? I was told by Harley Riding friends that no way I would get even 9,000 miles on them. Anyway, I hope all of you get your money's worth out of your rubber. This site has been a blessing to me. Have had soooo much fun riding.

Bike
ST1300
I suspect it depends on your riding habits and road surface. I have the same tires and needed to replace my rear tire at about 7,000 miles. It could have gone further but I was going on a road trip and didn't want to be looking for a tire on my trip.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
I suspect it depends on your riding habits and road surface. I have the same tires and needed to replace my rear tire at about 7,000 miles. It could have gone further but I was going on a road trip and didn't want to be looking for a tire on my trip.

Now you wouldn't be poking fun at Cdnemsguy would you.......:nanner1:. ??????.

ToddC

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
I was going on a road trip and didn't want to be looking for a tire on my trip.
Well I had the same great intention before I left the house to go south, but I ran out of time and I was too excited to hit the road to see all the great folks gathering at Todd and Kari's. Too excited I say so the front might have made it. Whoops!

Good thing I have the Bridgestones and not the Dunlops. Actually my rear tire was good for over 8000 miles and the front lasted just under 12000 miles. Guess I shoulda changed it before I left as I have a new one sitting here...:nuts1:

Bike
ST1300
Now you wouldn't be poking fun at Cdnemsguy would you.......:nanner1:. ??????.

ToddC
lol I wasn't intentionally poking fun at Tim. It just happens that he is one of those guys that pushes his tires for maximum value. Hows that for sticking up for you Tim??:p::eek:illeak1::nuts1:

OP
OP
Terminator2

Terminator2

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
I apologize for posting this thread in the exhaust section. Thank you Mellow for moving the post to the correct section.

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
Hows that for sticking up for you Tim??
Well....Sure if you say so. Its all good. I just think that ToddC fellow is :potstir1:in order to break apart the Canadian Invasion that he was just witness too. We shall unite, stand strong and beg to come back so we can ride the roads of Washingtons State with some great folks...

Bike
ST1300
Well....Sure if you say so. Its all good. I just think that ToddC fellow is :potstir1:in order to break apart the Canadian Invasion that he was just witness too. We shall unite, stand strong and beg to come back so we can ride the roads of Washingtons State with some great folks...
Right on brother!! I really enjoyed my ride home with Major Tom. He took me on lots of curvy curves. His bike really wakes up when it sees a twist in the asphalt. Team Canada will be well represented at newSToc in June. I wonder what Todd will have in store for techtime? Possibly tire inspection? lol

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
:03biker: Good day everyone. I haven't been here much. Just enjoying riding (and racing?) my '06 ST which I purchased beginning of summer 2016. When I bought it, the bike had 32,xxx, and now it has 46,xxx. Some of you might recall the harrowing experience I had the first week of riding. The new Dunlops (which the seller bought), went south the first week. At rockin speeds in a long bend the rear tire separated from the sidewall. Bike and I survived with no damage. So, immediately I purchased Michelin Pilot Road4 GT's. Guess what? I've got 13,xxx miles on them and it's about time to buy new ones (you think?).. Has anyone else experienced high mileage from their tires? I was told by Harley Riding friends that no way I would get even 9,000 miles on them. Anyway, I hope all of you get your money's worth out of your rubber. This site has been a blessing to me. Have had soooo much fun riding.
:th1:

And they would know because their bikes are so similar to the ST1300 and they like "racing" as you do? :D

I got 15.5 k (front) and 10.4 k (rear) miles on the last set of PR4 GTs I had mounted, the last 5 k being two up and fully loaded highway miles travelling cross-country with SWMBO. I was happy with the wear, but found the howling from the scalloped front tire to be quite annoying. I put a set of Bridgestone Battlax T30 EVO tires on early this summer and have been happy with them so far. They cost about CAN$100 less for the pair than the PR4s and I'm hoping to avoid the front tire howling. So far so good. YMMV, of course, or we wouldn't keep having these threads. :)

Last edited:
Any BT not over 16k km.
PR4 at ease 26k km with me. Front and rear.
BT is like supersoft. Do you need that grip? With the corresponding wear?
I don't.
Mostly commuting at 35k km a year. PR4 is perfect for me.

OP
OP
Terminator2

Terminator2

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
Major Tom. You have a point regarding Harley riders opinions of tires for the ST... To justify my exceptional tire mileage, I informed them that, at ST high speeds. I must be levitating most of the time. Which, of course we all know Harleys are unable to do.....lol

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
My Michelin PR4GTs went 11,000 miles of one-up, mostly unladen riding, not aggressive.

The Metzeler Z8s that replaced them are coming up on the end of their service life at 8,000 miles, under similar conditions.

Since the Metzelers run about 30 percent less than the Michelins in the price department, I'd say they are comparable on a cost-per-mile basis. As I've noted elsewhere, they also seem to perform adequately; my first impression (a vague sense that they just didn't seem to plant the bike as firmly as the Michelins) has been largely disproven yet hard for me to overcome; in all honesty there is nothing I can point at and say "Bad tire! Bad! Bad!".

Next spring, I'll have new rubber mounted and start the comparison process all over again. No idea what it'll be.

Top Bottom