Sportsters have only one front disk?

Bike
2010 ST1300
Went for a drive today with my wife and stopped for an ice cream cone. A Harley Sportster(?) pulled in next to us and I eyeballed the bike while waiting. I'm pretty sure it was a sportster - bare bike, big engine, looked new (don't they all?) leather saddle bags and only one disk on the front wheel. The bike looked stock - at least it was not obviously chopped.

This bike and the two up riders have to weigh in the 750# range, and the bike has to be capable of doing 100 mph (or close to it). Is a single disk up front capable of stopping this bike quickly? I saw no ABS ring so you probably do not want state of the art brakes, but shouldn't a sport bike have great brakes as a matter of course?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
A lot of the big H-Ds have only one front rotor. Probably a little bigger than ST rotors maybe six piston calipers maybe ABS probably adequate for the operation envelope of a box stock bike.

It's not like they're a 460lb bike with 163HP.

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
Went for a drive today with my wife and stopped for an ice cream cone. A Harley Sportster(?) pulled in next to us and I eyeballed the bike while waiting. I'm pretty sure it was a sportster - bare bike, big engine, looked new (don't they all?) leather saddle bags and only one disk on the front wheel. The bike looked stock - at least it was not obviously chopped.

This bike and the two up riders have to weigh in the 750# range, and the bike has to be capable of doing 100 mph (or close to it). Is a single disk up front capable of stopping this bike quickly? I saw no ABS ring so you probably do not want state of the art brakes, but shouldn't a sport bike have great brakes as a matter of course?
I'm sorry, but did you just call a Sportster a "sport bike"? :D I don't believe H-D has ever been noted as leaders in the suspension and braking department (at least not in this century), that's not why people buy them, and I suspect few of them ever see 100 mph on a regular basis. If it was good enough for grandpa, it's good enough for me. :)

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
I'm sorry, but did you just call a Sportster a "sport bike"? :D I don't believe H-D has ever been noted as leaders in the suspension and braking department (at least not in this century), that's not why people buy them, and I suspect few of them ever see 100 mph on a regular basis. If it was good enough for grandpa, it's good enough for me. :)
Forgive me, for I have sinned.... Silly me, I thought motorcycle manufacturers were expected (perhaps their liability demands it) to produce a bike that would safely bring itself and its riders to a stop under all the conditions it can be expected to encounter - including the occasional urgent or emergency stop.

If the bike is capable (in stock, unaltered form) of accelerating to 100 mph, and takes 1000 yards to stop from 60mph whereas all other mc's on the road can stop in 150 feet from the same speed, is there not some liability in the event of an ahhhhh incident? This would be an interesting lawsuit.....

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
Forgive me, for I have sinned.... Silly me, I thought motorcycle manufacturers were expected (perhaps their liability demands it) to produce a bike that would safely bring itself and its riders to a stop under all the conditions it can be expected to encounter - including the occasional urgent or emergency stop.

If the bike is capable (in stock, unaltered form) of accelerating to 100 mph, and takes 1000 yards to stop from 60mph whereas all other mc's on the road can stop in 150 feet from the same speed, is there not some liability in the event of an ahhhhh incident? This would be an interesting lawsuit.....
I'm likely incorrect, and of course know nothing about legislative requirements in the USA, but isn't stuff like braking performance up the the purchaser to assess? I suspect H-D riders are lucky they don't still have drum brakes on their rides. ;) H-D walks a fine line between tradition and performance with the balance always tilting towards tradition. Having said that, next year's models feature several performance upgrades from previous years, so who knows, maybe the future will be different. :rolleyes:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Several of my old Harley Davidson "Sport" or "Race" bikes didn't even have a front brake (XR750) or flathead (KHK Models) :rofl1:
Several of my old Harley Davidson street bikes only had Drum front and rear brakes :rolleyes:.
Folks have gotten too spoiled with ABS, triple disc brakes, Traction control, etc.
And don't even get me started on them not having kick start levers anymore :well1:
Use to be, if you couldn't kick start it, or wrench on it, you shouldn't be riding it....
Flame retardant suit on :flame

Last edited:
Bike
VStrom 650
You can have all the brakes you can Squeeze in but without ABS all you are asking for is a front wheel lock up.
Non ABS 1100's are sometimes criticised for weak brakes compared to ABS set up. But who would want wopping big rotors and calipers and no ABS to sort things out. My non ABS stops plenty quick enough with the dual pistons/discs.
Upt'North.

Bike
VStrom 650
+1 re kick starters. Always used to like waking the bike up after a winter lay over by gently easing it into life.
Upt'North.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
At my age today, I would have a stroke kick starting some of my old Harley's.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
A buddy had a Sportser when I had my 7.5-4. It was always a game to see if his H-D would start with one kick compared to my Honda. I never lost though he frequently tied. Good natured rivalry instead of mindless bashing.

Yes they both had electric starters (at least mine was) and my K-4 had a mere single disc (until I converted it to duals because the 'new' bikes were getting duals).

Still If I had room I'd own a Sport. Love the S-T of a big twin (sound and torque).

Last edited:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
A buddy had a Sportser when I had my 7.5-4. It was always a game to see if his H-D would start with one kick compared to my Honda. I never lost though he frequently tied. Good natured rivalry instead of mindless bashing.

Yes they both had electric starters (at least mine was) and my K-4 had a mere single disc (until I converted it to duals because the 'new' bikes were getting duals).

Still If I had room I'd own a Sport. Love the S-T of a big twin (sound and torque).
Your posts are starting to read like a young girl is texting on her phone :rofl1:
The five bikes I took pride in being one kick bikes, were a 69 XLCH sportster, a 1956 KHK model sportster, a 72 Norton Combat Commando, a 78 T140V Triumph bonneville, and my old Maico 501 square barrel.
Now my old Hodaka Ace 90 or Super Rat, now that was a different story....Kick, Kick, Kick, Kick, Rest, Swear, Kick, Kick, Kick, Kick, Sweat, Curse, Kick, Kick, Kick....:rolleyes:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Just poking fun at you about all your abreviated text type lingo, that's all.
Of course I have been breathing in alot of brake fluid fumes lately :rofl1:

scootac

Will Ride for Food
Aren't all HD buyers given a map of all bars in a 50 mile radius of their home so that they have plenty of time to slow down and stop???
That's what I heard.....

2005RedRider

Still ridin'
Bike
2014 Harley FLHTCU
Aren't all HD buyers given a map of all bars in a 50 mile radius of their home so that they have plenty of time to slow down and stop???
That's what I heard.....
Uh ... NO! Well, at least they didn't give me that map. I better go back to dealer and complain!

Dale :D

TMUS

MSF Instructor 32 years
Bike
2006 ST1300a(Marvin)
STOC #
And the price of Harley's are high due to the enclosed trailer that comes standard with them :rimshot1:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Igofar said:
Just poking fun at you about all your abreviated text type lingo, that's all.
Just trying on the impromptu abbreviation modus to see how it fits. I will say that back in the '70s when I had my 750-4 my buddies and I always referred to them a 7 1/2. Those were the days...

Igofar said:
The five bikes I took pride in being one kick bike...s
I forgot about my 750 Duc Sport. It was one kick also.

Chance

Taming the dragon!
Bike
'07 ST1300
+1 re kick starters. Always used to like waking the bike up after a winter lay over by gently easing it into life.
Upt'North.
Rofl! That’s funny right there! I practically needed surgery after helping my brother “ease” his old 1972Suziki back to life! :07biker:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Rofl! That’s funny right there! I practically needed surgery after helping my brother “ease” his old 1972Suziki back to life! :07biker:
GT550? GT750 Water Buffalo? or my favorite T500 Titan?

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I thought that's why Harley riders always wore thick soled boots, Something to do with the "Flintstone stopping power"!

Top Bottom