Possible Modified Front brakes?

CruSTy

My Perception is my reality.
Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
I remember a few years back that a forum member tried to make a rubber wedge to stop his failing SMC from actuating, I hope you didn't purchase his bike.
Roll the bike forward on level ground, and apply both brakes, then release them, get off the bike, and then roll the bike backwards. Is it hard to roll backwards? This is the easiest way to "feel" the SMC dragging.
Do as Jfheath said and test the SMC to see if its releasing after being applied.
I'll bet you a pint that the SMC failed, and that the piston is stuck halfway down inside the bore*, and it was rattling back and forth, and the rubber was put there to stop the noise :rolleyes:
On a bike that old, with a bandaid fix on it, I would remove/replace the entire SMC and replace it with a new one, then bleed the entire system correctly.
The part number for the SMC you need is (BRACKET SUB-ASSY., L. FR.06454-MCS-G03, you'll also need 4 crush washers (WASHER, OIL BOLT 90545-300-000).
Get 4 small bottles of DOT 4 brake fluid, and a motion pro brake bleeding tool (Part # 08-0143).
After bleeding the entire system, strap both the hand lever, and the foot lever down over night.
You'll find alot of good information on how to do this with Jheaths write up.
Good luck.
Igofar

*Note: The piston can be stuck towards the end of the forward end of the bore and keep the brakes from working, or towards the rear of the bore (deep) and cause the brakes to drag and lock up without warning!
This position could change at any moment without warning, do not attempt to ride the bike without correcting this situation first.
++1 what Larry said!!

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Although not applicacable here, as a note many seasoned Police Motor competitors make and put those in for competitions to defeat the linked system.
FYI, that will Not defeat the linked braking system, it will only prevent the two outer pistons on the rear caliper from working, the center piston will still work with the foot pedal. :rolleyes:

Bike
2010 ST1300
Although not applicacable here, as a note many seasoned Police Motor competitors make and put those in for competitions to defeat the linked system.
Is this a suggestion that the OP's bike was a police bike?

FYI, that will Not defeat the linked braking system, it will only prevent the two outer pistons on the rear caliper from working, the center piston will still work with the foot pedal. :rolleyes:
Competitors in all kinds of endeavors have been known to modify their equipment to gain an advantage. Perhaps they also lube the rotors or drag their feet.

Trapperdog

R.I.P. - 2022/10/14
Rest In Peace
Bike
09 ST1300 PA
Now you're getting the idea. :)

Trapperdog

R.I.P. - 2022/10/14
Rest In Peace
Bike
09 ST1300 PA
Is this a suggestion that the OP's bike was a police bike?

Competitors in all kinds of endeavors have been known to modify their equipment to gain an advantage. Perhaps they also lube the rotors or drag their feet.
Nope and nope again.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Your giving AWAY my secrets bad motorcycle rider lol lol
Your seasoned police motor competitors attempt to defeat the linked system, WILL damage the bore over time, by the levering action, not being able to operate correctly .02
I understand your wanting/needing to be able to skid the front tire to move it over, however, your attempt to modify it WILL cost you money in the end.
Why don't you just learn to ride your bike like these guys? https://youtu.be/kveuSgNgsPw :rofl1:

Top Bottom