Cooling systems parts questions

Going through all the info I can in preparation for replacing coolant lines both radiator and oil for 1994 ST1100. Normally I stick with Honda parts, but came across a kit called Radiator Coolant Silicone Hose Kit for Honda ST1100 1991 - 2002. Sold by alloyworksaustralia. Kit contains a variety of eight hoses for total cost plus shipping for $69.00. Site found on ebay. Thought this would be the place to ask if anyone has used one of these kits. If so, are they worth bypassing mother Honda?

Second question deals with oil coolant hoses. While looking for part numbers, one site stated. Item discontinued by manufacturer, no longer available. Can someone please update me on these oil cooling hoses.

Thanks
Tim

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I have a set I bought for spares. Seemed like a good risk to have so many. They are pliable, reinforced, sturdy and appear well made. Mine came with a complete set of hose clamps also. Presentation is wonderful, but I have not had to install any. Did that right after I bought the bike and used Honda parts from Partzilla. Only later did I see the kit on Ebay.

OP
OP
Thanks for the info, good to know they may do the job just as well. Wonder if 2 of the 8 hoses are for the oil cooling?

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
They may not need changing, despite the 23 year age, if still original. I had a '95 that I sold in 2015 with just over 100,000 miles on it and it went away with the OEM oil coolant hoses. All others had been replaced in 2009, but those oil hoses looked like new still . . . . and besides . . . one of them, IIRC, was going to be a bit of a beeatch to get off and probably even harder to get back on! If you go with OEM hoses, you will find out what that is like when you try to "slip" all the other hoses back home!

OP
OP
Ha, think I've read a bit about that. Always hope no one is home when I prove I've got a Masters degree from Yosemite Sam's School of Cursing.

OP
OP
Late reply, but better late then never. Ordered the aftermarket hose kit. Only 2 of the hoses fit as if made for the bike. Those were the two main hoses under the carbs. Also used the long hose from the radiator to the reserve tank. Little problem was that inner diameter of the hose was ok, outer diameter was twice as large. unable to route through original plastic clamps and holders, hose too large. Had to zip tie to frame. Unable to use rest of the hoses in the kit, could not match them anywhere close to what was on the bike. As if they were random bits, or kit was for multiple vehicles, bikes, cars, four wheelers?? and no mention of this in the ad. The hoses that were the closest to looking like they were for the radiator, were the correct shape and length, but were much to small in diameter. Outer diameter was what the inner diameter should have been. When I received the honda radiator hoses, with just a little effort I could fit the entire aftermarket hose into the correct hose. After market hoses appear to be of good quality, but most of the hoses supplied could not be used on my 94 ST1100. End comment. Had I known this I would not have ordered the aftermarket Hose kit. Save your money and buy from Honda as long as they carry the hoses.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Late reply, but better late then never. Ordered the aftermarket hose kit. Only 2 of the hoses fit as if made for the bike. Those were the two main hoses under the carbs. Also used the long hose from the radiator to the reserve tank. Little problem was that inner diameter of the hose was ok, outer diameter was twice as large. unable to route through original plastic clamps and holders, hose too large. Had to zip tie to frame. Unable to use rest of the hoses in the kit, could not match them anywhere close to what was on the bike. As if they were random bits, or kit was for multiple vehicles, bikes, cars, four wheelers?? and no mention of this in the ad. The hoses that were the closest to looking like they were for the radiator, were the correct shape and length, but were much to small in diameter. Outer diameter was what the inner diameter should have been. When I received the honda radiator hoses, with just a little effort I could fit the entire aftermarket hose into the correct hose. After market hoses appear to be of good quality, but most of the hoses supplied could not be used on my 94 ST1100. End comment. Had I known this I would not have ordered the aftermarket Hose kit. Save your money and buy from Honda as long as they carry the hoses.
Sorry you got taken for a ride! :rd11: So to speak!...

Sometimes I've tried different things too and found I wasted my money on it (great example is the China plastic I paid $500 for and it proved to be total junk, never used it!)! So don't feel too bad, just remember, there always has to be a guinea pig...and sometimes, it's us, that get to play that roll! :eek:4:

OP
OP
I had just thrown a peanut in my mouth, then read your reply. I laughed, then choked, laugh, choke. Like any funny joke, a lot of truth was said.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Cmon Bob, he teed that one up for you and you didn't even swing. He didn't get taken for a ride, he got HOSED :rofl1: :rimshot1:
Somebody already "used" that one! :eek:4:

BTW, are you heading up on Sunday for the thing Paul as opened up for us?

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Somebody already "used" that one! :eek:4:

BTW, are you heading up on Sunday for the thing Paul as opened up for us?
oops, last reply on the 1st page, I missed that, doh!!!

Not going to make the Camarillo ride, maybe another time.

Top Bottom