How does oil cooler function on 1994 ST1100

First time involved with this engine and trying to figure out how everything works that is different from other engines I've worked on. One item I'm about stumped on is how the oil cooler works. Of course most bikes with oil coolers have their own oil cooling radiator like assembly. Not this engine. The two hoses just disappear into couplers. Have followed oil and coolant diagrams in the Honda Service Manual, still a bit shady on how the oil is actually cooled. Do the coolant and oil galleys in the engine share a galley wall so excess heat from the oil galley transfers through the shared galley wall to the out going coolant , then dispersed through the coolant radiator? If so, is this the reason it was dropped at a certain time in production, maybe not very efficient. If someone can fill in the blanks, or refer me to a source of info I would appreciate it. Have searched it a dozen ways and so far no answers. Of course not an emergency, everything is functioning extremely well. Just a bit of a puzzle I'm puzzled over. Thanks

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
The oil cooler 'radiator' is at the base of the oil filter on the left side of the engine. Water circulates through the doghnut shaped radiator and removes heat from the oil as it passes through the center of the radiator and into the oil filter.

Check out the parts cartoon from Partzilla, Ron Ayers, etc. This device was only on the 1990-1994 models, I think, and was removed thereafter. This required a change to the water pump in that the feed tube that went to the oil cooler was removed from subsequent bikes.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
It was on the '95 as well. Changed in '96 and my understanding of the reasoning is that the pre '96 models had the oil cooled 28 amp alternator, so the idea was to help dissipate some oil heat to the benefit of the alternator. Then, when the air cooled 40 amp alternator was put into the post '95 models, there was no need for the oil cooler.

OP
OP
Ah..... coolant cooled oil and oil cooled alternator. Thanks Oldbikefixr and Bush. At least I was right with one thing, have never seen that before.

Top Bottom