A comment on the "Pan Weave".....

Bike
'04 BLUE ST13
I bought my '04 with about 32k on the odo. Meticulously maintained by the one-owner prior to me. When I bought it, the owner told me that I should remove the top case if I'm going to be on the highway much, then quickly said......."well you'll find out". Didn't think a lot about it, but on the way home noticed it was bobbing and weaving quite a bit....kinda like driving on ice. Thought it was the worn out Contis and kind of blew it off and dealt with it for a couple thousand miles. Fast forward to today and after suspension adjustments, new tires, careful adjustment of the front wheel alignment, air pressures, head stock bearings check, swingarm bearings check, testing with and without the top box.......I finally have some closure. I replaced the Cee Bailey windscreen with a CalSci shorty. 90% of the weave is GONE....even with the top box. I'm going to test it further in the upcoming weeks and report back, but wanted to give some insight to those who have this problem. It appears that the rather large barn-door screen effect causes some disturbed wind flow patterns. This might be old news to some, but this change made it feel like a different bike. I'll post a pic or two of the new / old when I get a chance.

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
2004 Honda ST1300ABS
STOC #
Re: Secondary fuel tank/fuel fill ups at 1 fuel bar

Maybe the weave is bike selective. I've had my 04 and up to 120mph solo and 2 up with and without my top case, and with the windscreen all the way up and all the way down. I have a large Cee Bailey windscreen. I also have a Super Brace on my from forks.

Last edited:

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
My experience is you have to get up to the triple digits and hold it for a little bit before the weave really sets in (tested on the German Autobahn), not just run up and then down. ;-) If the stock windshield was up any distance at all, the front end got 'light'. If it was all the way down, I did not have a problem. The ST1300 was bone stock with the original windshield and the Hondaline Top Box.

RCS

My experience is that the weave occurs when the rear suspension is loaded and compressed more than the front suspension. The rear suspension loads at speed and the top box, if you have one, catches the wind as it rolls over your body and pushes the rear down further. The wind also catches the top box sides like a sail as it rolls around your body and contributes to the side to side motion. The result is the front end floats and weaves. My humble advice is to adjust the rear spring pre-load or change to a stiffer spring if you weigh more than 180lbs and/or use a top box.

Last edited:
Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
Mine has the V-Stream about halfway up , OEM box & loaded down w/ camping equipment last year , I didn't do a hundred but never encountered the pan weave at , heh, heh , "highway speeds" .

( Maybe KC driving lamps stabilize it ? )

Last edited:
Bike
2012 ST 1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
Maybe you all should consider mounting an aux fuel tank over the rear seat so that wind doesn't catch on the top box at all. As a side benefit you can ride 350 miles without putting a foot on the ground. :)

Top Bottom