Sena 30K vs Cardo Scala PackTalk

Bike
St1300 '11 (frm new)
I'm considering picking up a Sena or possibly the Cardo Packtalk as my old Starcomm1 is getting long in the tooth. I still use an old Sirius head unit that has a 3.5mm out. I simply plug this into my Starcomm1 and can listen to sat radio. With the wireless setups, how would I be able to listen to sat radio?

Also, is a person able to stream music from pandora, spotify, etc. from their smartphone to the Sena/Cardo unit?

Thanks
Yes you can listen to Spotify but i found it to distracting to listen to music and ride. You can also select previous next track.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
There's nothing like listening to mission impossible while lane splitting! :rofl1:

Bike
St1300 '11 (frm new)
There's nothing like listening to mission impossible while lane splitting! :rofl1:
I'll have to give that one a try then.

At the moment I find my concentration goes to pot.
I'm getting used to talking to the next rider so in time perhaps music won't be an issue..

Bike
St1300 '11 (frm new)
Since this thread is "Sena 30K vs Cardo Scala PackTalk" I thought I would share these very well made videos I found on the very topic.
Starting with the water test (the last in the series but puts the nail in the coffin).

Waterproof
https://youtu.be/R4ahoMtXRNA

Pairing phone time and reconnect time.
https://youtu.be/bIzEgE1_XCY

Mesh connection speed from bootup.
https://youtu.be/jaT456DcG20

Wind noise compensation
https://youtu.be/sN4Me51cMNs

Auto Voulme
https://youtu.be/etf91ZcczeY

Size
https://youtu.be/HpXo85ZWJkE

Firmware updates, and settings from website.
https://youtu.be/9uZnW2FpUsk

Last edited:

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
And of course Cardo Packtalk has just come out with a completely new Packtalk, likely dealing with any of the above issues.

Bike
St1300 '11 (frm new)
And of course Cardo Packtalk has just come out with a completely new Packtalk, likely dealing with any of the above issues.
Dealing with what issues? It seems to be holding it's own against the 30K.
The new Packtalk you are referring to is the Packtalk Bold, the unit in the videos is the 2015 Packtalk.

packtalk bold.jpg

Last edited:

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
Agree. On the things that matter to me Packtalk ( which I own ) is better then the SENA. Will need to look into the Bold and the slim model of course, but I can't afford to upgrade yet so......
I'm really happy with my Palktalk, I enjoy the loud music and being able to connect with 15 other riders. I only need to be close to one other Palktalk to talk with all 15, not close to all 15 at once.
Dealing with what issues? It seems to be holding it's own.
The new Packtalk you are referring to is the Packtalk Bold, the unit in the videos is the 2015 Packtalk.

packtalk bold.jpg

Bike
St1300 '11 (frm new)
Agree. On the things that matter to me Packtalk ( which I own ) is better then the SENA. Will need to look into the Bold and the slim model of course, but I can't afford to upgrade yet so......
I'm really happy with my Palktalk, I enjoy the loud music and being able to connect with 15 other riders. I only need to be close to one other Palktalk to talk with all 15, not close to all 15 at once.
Oh! I thought you were having a dig at the Packtalk LOL my bad. I couldn't identify any issues that need dealing with in the videos.
However the new VOX in the PT Bold with clear prompt will be a bonus. I found the VOX on the Packtalk would go off on it's own little world if I even sounded like I wanted music or radio, so I have it off. Unless my pillion has BT and I don't need to shout over my shoulder.

I don't even have one other Packtalk rider to connect with at the moment. I have two buddies who could afford one but don't seem interested enough to bother. I got a couple of cheap V6 units for pillion or lending out.

PS. I do notice in the latest Cardo Connect app and on the Website interface, Cardo seem to have ditched the 1+8 Buddies.
Which isn't a bad thing, I believe these units are getting way to complicated for their own good, keep it simple and do it well.

Last edited:
Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
I didn't look at the other videos, just the water test. What they showed is valid...but I'm not sure it is realistic.

I have a Sena 10C, camera and Bluetooth. The connections are similar to the Sena 30K. On the underside is the SD card and power connection. On the lower rear corner is the headphone connection. I've long ago lost the rubber cover for the power connection. Usually, I have a USB cord connected to provide power...the camera eats the power quickly, as it does on all "action" cameras. I live in Seattle and ride year long, which means I ride in the rain a lot. Sometimes light rain. But I've also ridden all day in pouring drenching rain. And never had a problem with water getting into the open power socket.

The biggest consideration to me in buying a BT headset, is what does everyone else in a group have.

Chris

OP
OP
st11ray

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I still haven't gotten a new system. It's been kinda nice not being "connected". I wish that Sena or Cardo would make their units where you could just have the headset in the helmet and the "box" under your seat or in your pocket. I don't like the looks of it hanging off the side of the helmet. Plus there's no guarantee that someone won't steal it from your helmet that is locked on the bike.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
If you haven't bought a new headset yet, let me offer you a thought...

I picked up several years ago, a Sena 10C. It was before Christmas and I saw a website offering a lower than normal price on the Sena 20S, so I checked it out. For about $10 more, they had the Sena 10C, which includes a camera in a body about the same size as the 20S without a camera. I wasn't sure what I'd do with the camera, but decided to buy it anyway. I just didn't see myself posting videos of myself riding along some twisty road.

After buying it, I found that many owners use theirs as a "dash cam". For most of the year, that's exactly what I use mine for. The difference between using it as a dash cam and using a fixed mounted camera for the same purpose, is that when I turn my head to see something, it is recorded. I set mine in loop mode in five minute recordings. When it fills the SD card, it starts overwriting the oldest files. So for the most part, you can turn it on and forget about it.

I do use it though on trips as well, though not what I would've thought originally. There are times when I've been riding with another rider and they didn't want to stop. Or it wasn't really safe to do so. But you can either take a snapshot while you're recording, or go back and pull an individual frame from the recording for the day. Here's one I took in Utah.

The quality is not perfect, but for the amount of times anyone but me sees the photos, it works just fine. Plus, I may not have gotten that picture any other way.

The Sena 10C has been out for several years now. Sena has promised an update to the headset, called the Sena 10C EVO. Original delivery was set at over a year ago. They have come up with another, as yet to be released version, called the Sena 10C Pro. Even if you get the original 10C, you're getting a pretty decent device. And discounted prices can be found pretty easily. If my old Sena 10C needs replacing, I'll get whatever is the latest model they have. No one else has anything that fills that niche of a BT headset with a camera...in a body about the same size as the BT headset alone.

Chris

OP
OP
st11ray

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
If you haven't bought a new headset yet, let me offer you a thought...

I picked up several years ago, a Sena 10C. It was before Christmas and I saw a website offering a lower than normal price on the Sena 20S, so I checked it out. For about $10 more, they had the Sena 10C, which includes a camera in a body about the same size as the 20S without a camera. I wasn't sure what I'd do with the camera, but decided to buy it anyway. I just didn't see myself posting videos of myself riding along some twisty road.

After buying it, I found that many owners use theirs as a "dash cam". For most of the year, that's exactly what I use mine for. The difference between using it as a dash cam and using a fixed mounted camera for the same purpose, is that when I turn my head to see something, it is recorded. I set mine in loop mode in five minute recordings. When it fills the SD card, it starts overwriting the oldest files. So for the most part, you can turn it on and forget about it.

I do use it though on trips as well, though not what I would've thought originally. There are times when I've been riding with another rider and they didn't want to stop. Or it wasn't really safe to do so. But you can either take a snapshot while you're recording, or go back and pull an individual frame from the recording for the day. Here's one I took in Utah.

The quality is not perfect, but for the amount of times anyone but me sees the photos, it works just fine. Plus, I may not have gotten that picture any other way.

The Sena 10C has been out for several years now. Sena has promised an update to the headset, called the Sena 10C EVO. Original delivery was set at over a year ago. They have come up with another, as yet to be released version, called the Sena 10C Pro. Even if you get the original 10C, you're getting a pretty decent device. And discounted prices can be found pretty easily. If my old Sena 10C needs replacing, I'll get whatever is the latest model they have. No one else has anything that fills that niche of a BT headset with a camera...in a body about the same size as the BT headset alone.

Chris
I'm hoping that Sena will put the 30K in their new helmet (the Momentum Pro or something like that) with a headphone jack for custom earbuds. I'm probably going to have to wait awhile for that though.
https://www.sena.com/product/momentum-helmet/

Bike
St1300 '11 (frm new)
........... just have the headset in the helmet and the "box" under your seat or in your pocket.
That's quite true. It would be possible to use a very small Bluetooth unit in the helmet.
There's something of that kind available on Aliexpress, where the electronics is inside the microphone, nothing exposed and it only connects to a single device like phone or GPS. You could pair it to one Bluetooth channel on the Packtalk unit and DMC Bridge into the conversation. Where there's a will there's way.

Bike
St1300 '11 (frm new)
....The quality is not perfect,
The quality is fine for what you need it, an 'I was there' moment. Sure you can buy postcards but there's nothing quite like the shot that I was actually standing there in the moment.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
This is a great thread and those videos were amazingly informative and well produced. Clearly a major win for the Scale Packtalk.

I currently use an older technology Scala Rider. Q3 - and it does pretty well for most of what I do but the connection to other units seems to take a while to happen and then it drops out occasionally (I’ve never figured out why). Otherwise, it’s good.

Anyhow - when it’s time for a new system, I sure know what I’m doing.

Last edited:
Bike
St1300 '11 (frm new)
This guy has done a fair amount of testing on the 30K and has a couple of videos on it:
He's got a lot of and doesn't appear to be a typical YT Loon. As much as I hate YT navigation several are worth watching depending on your interests.
T.W.O. does mention his prime purpose is video blogging so the 30K is over spec'd for his purpose.
He only tests the 4 way bluetooth which is not the strength of these units.

Top Bottom